Is it unhealthy for my gf to support me in this?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 1:36 am

I wasn't sure if this was the write forum to post this, but here goes. I've been wanting to break into filmmaking and saved up a lot of money to invest in making a feature film, hoping that it could find success enough to get my foot in the door further at least.

However, everyone tells me I am crazy for wanting to do it and in the past, two gfs did not approve of me saving up for this and wonder if was part of the reasons why the relationships' ended. But my current gf supports me all the way and is really excited for me and is even helping me with it, in the storyboarding part of it since she is really good at drawing compared to me.

But I wonder, is it not healthy for her to be this way since my other gfs in the past were trying to talk sense into me or so they thought?  Thank you for any opinions on this!  I really appreciate it!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 1:57 am

She supports you. Isn't that a good thing?

Ironpony based on other threads about your g/f she sounds damn near perfect.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 1:59 am

Thank you for the compliment, I guess I am just not use to it! In the past, if a gf thought I was doing something foolish, they would try to talk some sense into me. So I guess I am just not use to it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 2:46 am

ironpony wrote:
Thank you for the compliment, I guess I am just not use to it! In the past, if a gf thought I was doing something foolish, they would try to talk some sense into me. So I guess I am just not use to it.

Never seen a girl who is so into her partner and wants to share/help out so much. It's like saying I won the lottery and I don't know whether I should spend the money.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 5:52 am

If you lose a house to foreclosure because of an obsession with making a film—that is not good.

If it’s not threatening your livelihood, go for it!

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 10:08 am

No, it's not. Your previous girlfriends were probably less supportive due to the financial risk such a project can be, which is logical and could be because of many different reasons, but that wasn't unhealthy, either. However, you might want to consider why your current girlfriend is so supportive of this. Is it because she thinks dreams are worth taking risks for? If yes, then good for you both, but if it's simply because she doesn't understand the financial risks the way your previous girlfriends did, then there will likely be trouble if things don't go as planned. How good is she at understanding finances in general? If she's good at it, then she's probably supportive due to the former reason, but if she's bad at it, then it could be the later.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 11:49 am

I don’t sense that this guy’s girlfriend is naive in that sense.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 12:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you lose a house to foreclosure because of an obsession with making a film—that is not good.

If it’s not threatening your livelihood, go for it!

Same. Such projects are notorious for being high risk, low reward.

I would assess the risks carefully before going down that path.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 2:41 pm

It's high risk but I am not sure how else to try to get in.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 2:51 pm

Well, you could be a genius film maker or not. The Angry Video Game Nerd is great at making those reviews but his feature film wasn't that good for example...and he has been making films his entire life.

Did you show some people your script to get feedback? I would suggest only people you trust as I had an idea ripped off once.

How long do you think it would take to make the film?
What prior experience do you have of filmmaking?
How many actors would you need to hire? etc.
-I know these questions are killjoy but you dont want to spend the money without thinking

Could you make a 'ghetto' version of the film where you, your friends and family and your girlfriend film yourselves saying the lines, and then see if its a hopeless venture or not.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 4:34 pm

ironpony wrote:

The question is whether your girlfriend understands the risks as well as the (less likely) potential rewards.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 6:47 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
ironpony wrote:

The question is whether your girlfriend understands the risks as well as the (less likely) potential rewards.

She is an adult, you can;t assume she hasn't considered the risk. When you love somebody you are wiling to share risks whether they be personal, financial or physical

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 7:58 pm

She seems to know the risks and I think I explained it to her. I know it's risky, it's just I want to get into the career I want so I don't know what to do other than take the risk.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 7:59 pm

klanka wrote:
Well, you could be a genius film maker or not. The Angry Video Game Nerd is great at making those reviews but his feature film wasn't that good for example...and he has been making films his entire life.

Did you show some people your script to get feedback? I would suggest only people you trust as I had an idea ripped off once.

How long do you think it would take to make the film?
What prior experience do you have of filmmaking?
How many actors would you need to hire? etc.
-I know these questions are killjoy but you dont want to spend the money without thinking

Could you make a 'ghetto' version of the film where you, your friends and family and your girlfriend film yourselves saying the lines, and then see if its a hopeless venture or not.

I got feedback, it was mixed. Some like it, some don't, but I was told by other filmmakers that this is normal and not one majority is going to have the same agreement on a script, if they have a point.

I am not sure how long post production would take, but I hope to shoot it in say a month hopefully. What does my family, friends and gf saying the lines have to do with it? Do you mean a table read of sorts? I've had prior experience making some short projects in my own as well as helping out on other feature films shot in the community, where I did mostly audio production work.

Last edited by ironpony on 03 May 2022, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 8:11 pm

It is GREAT your current girlfriend supports you on this. What is bad is how nobody else does. Its a problem with society that people aren't very supportive/understanding, and you are lucky to find a girlfriend thats an exception to this.

Most people don't support me in theoretical physics pursuit. But I am still pursuing it and I am greatful for anyone that would be an exception and support me.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 3:39 am

A month to shoot is not too bad. I suppose this is something that.. If you don't do it you'll be thinking 'what if?'

Yeah I meant like a table reading but without the scripts being on camera, something that costs nothing, to give you a slight impression of what it might be like to watch.
So basically making the film , but just having people say the lines in front of the camera. Other than that, having no production value whatsoever, like not even having the set. Just using volunteers.

I only suggested that because you don't know if you want to spend the large amount of money on the film or not.

I watched this:https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/how-to/how-to-watch-star-wars-in-ascii-on-windows-10
A long time ago, its basically the star wars script being played in front of you with primitive graphics. It was a lot if fun to watch, so I thought if a film is good, its ASCII version might be good too :)