Weirdest Thing You Have Sent Or Recieved In The Mail?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 7:16 pm

I once sent a girl I fancied a stone in the post when I was in my younger years. Nothing came of it and she did not know it was me as I forgot to put my name on it and after posting it I thought "What if she did not like it? What if the stamp did not cover the postage and she would have to pay to recieve it and find out it was a stone?
Well. I thought it was a nice stone but... Uhmm. Not everyone thinks like I do...
So the next time I saw her in church I did not mention it, and she never asked so no idea...
But in a way I am glad that nothing came of it as being young, my judgement of who is a right catch may not be ideal for me because my character may not be to everyones taste as she did not seem to have the same sense of humour as I did.

But yes. Maybe looking back it was an odd thing to send in the post though I did not think it at the time. I thought it was rather nice.

But anyway.. Apart from hand delivering a valentines card through the door of a friends house sent to his dog (A boy dog) from my dog (A girl dog). It was rare for me to have friends when I was young so when he moved to live abroad with his family when I was in my early teens. I missed having a friend. He thought the card was hillarious and he was chuckling all the way to our house when he came to see me... We used to do funny things like that! He had a younger brother and a younger sister who was such a lovely person. I found out that when the family moved abroad, his sister married an oil shreak. I am soo glad because she deserved a nice man to marry her.

But yes. Has anyone of you sent something unusual or recieved something unusual in the post?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 7:26 pm

I think that's cute you sent a valentine's card from your dog to a friend's dog. :lol: It's really cute giving pets a boyfriend or girlfriend. One of my rats has an online girlfriend and I often send pictures of my rat over to his little girlfriend's owner and vice versa.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 7:28 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think that's cute you sent a valentine's card from your dog to a friend's dog. :lol: It's really cute giving pets a boyfriend or girlfriend. One of my rats has an online girlfriend and I often send pictures of my rat over to his little girlfriend's owner and vice versa.

Hehe. That sounds fun!

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 8:54 pm

The only thing I can think about is I had a pen pal when I was 12. She was a good friend when I was 11. She was mature beyond her years. More like a teenager at 11. I was mad at her for having to move away but knew it wasn’t her fault. Should have stayed friends with her. But yeah just sending pen pal letters to a friend that’s the only weird thing I could think.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 8:56 pm

The only thing I can think about is I had a pen pal when I was 12. She was a good friend when I was 11. She was mature beyond her years. More like a teenager at 11. I was mad at her for having to move away but knew it wasn’t her fault. Should have stayed friends with her. But yeah just sending pen pal letters to a friend that’s the only weird thing I could think. And it’s really not that weird. I even remember her saying that all those thousands of years ago.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 8:57 pm

Oops posted twice the second one is edited can’t fix it cause my phone sucks

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 7:54 am

When I was working in an office. I had to put loads of letters in a bag to be posted.
For a laugh I put an empty envelope in there addressed to myself.
I was living with my brother at the time. He knocked on my bedroom door to hand deliver it,when it arrived :)
He didn't realise it was totally pointless.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 5:51 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I once sent a girl I fancied a stone in the post when I was in my younger years. Nothing came of it and she did not know it was me as I forgot to put my name on it and after posting it I thought "What if she did not like it? What if the stamp did not cover the postage and she would have to pay to recieve it and find out it was a stone?
Well. I thought it was a nice stone but... Uhmm. Not everyone thinks like I do...
So the next time I saw her in church I did not mention it, and she never asked so no idea...
But in a way I am glad that nothing came of it as being young, my judgement of who is a right catch may not be ideal for me because my character may not be to everyones taste as she did not seem to have the same sense of humour as I did.

But yes. Maybe looking back it was an odd thing to send in the post though I did not think it at the time. I thought it was rather nice.

But anyway.. Apart from hand delivering a valentines card through the door of a friends house sent to his dog (A boy dog) from my dog (A girl dog). It was rare for me to have friends when I was young so when he moved to live abroad with his family when I was in my early teens. I missed having a friend. He thought the card was hillarious and he was chuckling all the way to our house when he came to see me... We used to do funny things like that! He had a younger brother and a younger sister who was such a lovely person. I found out that when the family moved abroad, his sister married an oil shreak. I am soo glad because she deserved a nice man to marry her.

But yes. Has anyone of you sent something unusual or recieved something unusual in the post?

There used to be a number of people who would try to find the most outlandish items to send in the mail without packaging and with the postage and address on the item. Things like rocks, bottles, baseball bats, ... .

They knew that the post office would generally not accept the items for delivery, so they resorted to certain subterfuges. In particular, they would wait near outdoor mailboxes and when the postal employee would drive up, they would wait for him to be away from the vehicle and would put the item inside. It was interesting how many items were actually delivered.

As for a legitimate delivery, my brother who lived in Alaska for years told of a guy having the cinder blocks he needed to build a house mailed to his address because it was less expensive than hiring it to be done.

That same brother used to get Nigerian scam letters in the mail. This was in the mid 1990s and before. The scammers would sometimes forge the stamps. My brother was convinced that the letters were legitimate but was just too busy to get involved with them. I was going to put them on my web page when I first had one to provide information to people about the scams, but he wouldn't let me do it because the letters asked for confidentiality. I never understood why anyone would feel that someone trying to scam you out of your hard earned life savings somehow deserved confidentiality.