Things You Have Given As Presents That Others Think Are Odd.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 7:56 pm

I was once told off for giving my Mum a present for Mothers Day but not by my Mum as she liked them.
I had asked my Mum what she wanted and she said to buy her something useful as a surprize, and I went in the shop and I could not find anything, but then I turned and saw something that fit all those catagories so I wrapped the large item up and she had it as a present.
It was a bumper pack of toilet rolls. There were 48 in the pack. That is quite a lot. All was fine until my brothers ex wife (When she was still married to my brother) heard and told me off for not buying something else... But I couldn't think of anything else that she would find useful and that she would be surprized to receive.

But anyway. My Mum liked them. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 8:13 pm

I'm sure your mum liked it very much, after all it's the thought that counts. And they're essential.

But there are hidden rules when it comes to gifts, which thankfully I am naturally skilled in.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 8:35 pm

Good that your brother is no longer married to that woman. It's not her business. As long as your mum is happy, nothing else matters.

I once gave a handbag to a male friend as a present because he had once said that that handbag looked really good when we were in the shop though it was obviously something a woman would use. He has/had no habit of carrying a handbag. It was a brown and green handbag with many pockets and compartments. He was extremely happy when I gave it to him. He still uses it with his backpack whose design goes well with that handbag.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 11:57 pm

Some people think it's odd, though I really don't. I'll always buy someone that I'm on gift giving terms with a knife that I think is suited to them if they don't have one, whether a simple SAK, a decent folder or fixed blade. People have done the same for me.

My mother uses her fully stainless SE Dragonfly that I gifted her quite a bit for opening things she orders, as it works better than scissors (the price of them has gone through the roof since then as I wouldn't mind one but lol, not anymore :|), and she's got a SAK in her handbag that I also gifted, albeit that was when she was able to go out. Nephews. My father ( :( ). I was gifted a basic KA-BAR fighting/utility. My mother bought me a few SAKs over the decades, and sadly, one was stolen; I still carry one of the SAKs she bought me that I used a lot to fillet fish, as the larger blade on such is still quite thin and works well on the summer whiting and bream I'd catch for dinner. I carried the other KA-BAR fighting/utility I have that she bought me in...mountains.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 May 2022, 8:11 am

One year for Christmas when I was a kid, my grandma gave everyone in the family a giant pack of toilet paper as presents. My aunt told my grandma about the way her two kids were wasting TP & arguing about how the other was wasting the soft stuff so my grandma decided to give everyone that. The only person who might of been happy about receiving it was my aunt, no one else liked that gift including my aunt's kids. I had never bought TP as my parents always handled buying that & we never 1ce had a single argument or fight about it. I was NOT expecting a great present from my grandma as she didn't really care about giving nice gifts & had often said that she was not a professional grandma but giving TP to everyone felt to most of us like she wanted to give everyone a giant F-You. I think there is a huge difference between Mountain Goat giving his mom TP because he thought she would use it & appreciate it as it's practical vs my grandma giving everyone TP for Christmas because it was quick & easy. No lower-middle class kid would actually want TP as a present unless he was planning to TP the giver's house.

Dillogic wrote:
Some people think it's odd, though I really don't. I'll always buy someone that I'm on gift giving terms with a knife that I think is suited to them if they don't have one, whether a simple SAK, a decent folder or fixed blade. People have done the same for me.
I have a knife/blade collection so I would probably like receiving that.

I don't give people presents as a general rule thou. I never had a lot of money as an adult & not exchanging gifts is easier, more practical, & cost efficient. If others like my parents are gonna give me things, I'd mostly want money. Most anything I'd really want or need as an adult, I would have go get myself.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 10:31 pm

I'm giving my mom some artificial spring flowers from the dollar store for Mother's Day because she said she wanted some to decorate her vases at home.

And a small teddy bear holding a flower that says "Love you, Mom", and a musical card with cats and dogs in it. :D