Pastor Barnhart explains right-wing anti-abortion politics.

Page 15 of 17 [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 6:40 pm

Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Your assumption is rather black and white.
I doubt *all* Pro-Lifers would have no compassion for babies born already.
If they do value the sanctity of human life, their concerns would extend to babies already born, and all human life.

What would you have them do?
Isn't it up to the government to implement measures to increase aid for unwanted babies and poor families?
What is your current government doing?

The whole argument was covered by my post on page one, it's concealed ad hominem and character assassination. It's only used by people who don't have the chops to actually argue about this topic.

So, you mean the usual. :scratch:
Got it. :thumright:

Shouldn't you be used to emotionalism and hyperpartisanism getting in the way of a rational discussion, by now? <facetiousness> :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 6:42 pm

Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:
If they do value the sanctity of human life, their concerns would extend to babies already born, and all human life.

Isn't it up to the government to implement measures to increase aid for unwanted babies and poor families?

The whole argument was covered by my post on page one, it's concealed ad hominem and character assassination. It's only used by people who don't have the chops to actually argue about this topic.

It is more a criticism of republicans opposing abortion, yet wanting to cut government programs that assist poor people and families. People just think it's ironic is all.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 6:48 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
For those who think abortion is to be allowed if it puts a woman's life at a way higher risk than a pregnancy normally would but not otherwise: what about an unwanted pregnancy's effects on the woman's mental health? What if, being denied abortion, the woman gets suicidal? If there's a reason to doubt that a woman will kill herself due to the unwanted pregnancy, would it justify abortion? If there's a reason to doubt that she'd start doing risky stuff like falling down some stairs or jumping off a bridge on purpose in order to have her rights to her own body back, should abortion be allowed in your opinion?

I imagine this would be a relatively rare circumstance.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a "case by case" evaluation procedure available.
No system is perfect, however, as we know.

Let's take Texas for example...their only exception is if there is a medical emergency. They don't have any exception for rape or incest so there is no case by case evaluation as to if forcing a woman who's been raped to keep the pregnancy will harm her mental health too much. Or for any other circumstances where a woman could claim it effects her mental health.

If Roe vs Wade is overturned other states could have an easier time enacting similar laws.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 6:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
One problem with the six-week thing----is that women frequently don't feel pregnancy symptoms until like 10 weeks' gestation. The only symptom might be the lack of a period for at least a month.

One word: "Corona virus tests" "Pregnancy tests".
Ok, two words. 8)

If your wee-wee comes into contact with an opposite-sex wee-wee, isolate for 14 days and get tested.
Simples. <facetiousness> :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 7:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
For those who think abortion is to be allowed if it puts a woman's life at a way higher risk than a pregnancy normally would but not otherwise: what about an unwanted pregnancy's effects on the woman's mental health? What if, being denied abortion, the woman gets suicidal? If there's a reason to doubt that a woman will kill herself due to the unwanted pregnancy, would it justify abortion? If there's a reason to doubt that she'd start doing risky stuff like falling down some stairs or jumping off a bridge on purpose in order to have her rights to her own body back, should abortion be allowed in your opinion?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a "case by case" evaluation procedure available.

Let's take Texas for example...their only exception is if there is a medical emergency. They don't have any exception for rape or incest so there is no case by case evaluation as to if forcing a woman who's been raped to keep the pregnancy will harm her mental health too much. Or for any other circumstances where a woman could claim it effects her mental health.

If Roe vs Wade is overturned other states could have an easier time enacting similar laws.

Clearly, in this case, it is anti-intellectual and I personally condemn it.
To me, it is solid gold stupidity, and I wholeheartedly support that particular rule to be changed.

Texans are known to be a little bit philosophically "funky", even here in Australia. :mrgreen:
I don't agree with the death penalty in Texas either.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 7:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:

It is more a criticism of republicans opposing abortion, yet wanting to cut government programs that assist poor people and families. People just think it's ironic is all.

If what you are saying is accurate, I would have a problem with that also.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 11:34 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

To me, it is solid gold stupidity, and I wholeheartedly support that particular rule to be changed.

Texans are known to be a little bit philosophically "funky", even here in Australia. :mrgreen:

Our official name should be Abbottistan.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 11:52 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

I don't agree with the death penalty either. Not to say I never heard of a terrible crime and personally felt the perpetrator should die. But having the death penalty is a slipperly slope and does allow for people later proved innocent to be executed. So I can't really support it even if I personally think some who get it deserve it. But then idk what of the mental health of people who have been employed to carry out death sentences. I'd for sure be interested in a documantary with interviews with people who actually carry out legal executions.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 11:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

I don't agree with the death penalty either. Not to say I never heard of a terrible crime and personally felt the perpetrator should die. But having the death penalty is a slipperly slope and does allow for people later proved innocent to be executed. So I can't really support it even if I personally think some who get it deserve it. But then idk what of the mental health of people who have been employed to carry out death sentences. I'd for sure be interested in a documantary with interviews with people who actually carry out legal executions.

Plus with the death penalty, people of color are more likely to be sentenced to death than whites for the same crime.

Thus, the death penalty should be considered genocide.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 12:07 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

Our official name should be Abbottistan.

Well texans can always come to colorful colorado for an abortion if they need to. Abortion access is written into our state law so yeah we don't deny abortions in Colorado. Sure we were the first state to legalize pot, but weed is not the only thing we care about around here.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 2:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Canada has more of a tendency to copy the US when it comes to relatively "progressive" things.

As far as relatively conservative things----no it doesn't.

There will never be a 2nd Amendment "right to bear arms" in Canada. Hence, there never will be much of a "gun rights" debate there.

That's true. Actually, when it comes to the socialized health care that Canada has as pointed out before, how come you never see progressives in the US protesting against the government to get it?

Their are protests against things like trying to keep the government from overturning Roe vs. Wade, and trying to get the government to defund the police, but there are never nation wide protests, demanding the government to get a socialized health care system. But do Americans consider that to be even possibly more important than overturning Roe or defunding the police, or no?

Inflation increase has been a huge issue in the US later, but no one is protesting that massively, and everyone is protesting the abortion issue. Are Americans so concerned about sex that they are willing to put this issue before, things like socilazed health care and inflation?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 3:55 am

Fnord wrote:

So where are all of you "Pro-Life" advocates now?
Why do you care about other people's children only before they are born?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 5:49 am

ironpony wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Canada has more of a tendency to copy the US when it comes to relatively "progressive" things.

As far as relatively conservative things----no it doesn't.

There will never be a 2nd Amendment "right to bear arms" in Canada. Hence, there never will be much of a "gun rights" debate there.

That's true. Actually, when it comes to the socialized health care that Canada has as pointed out before, how come you never see progressives in the US protesting against the government to get it? Their are protests against things like trying to keep the government from overturning Roe vs. Wade, and trying to get the government to defund the police, but there are never nation wide protests, demanding the government to get a socialized health care system. But do Americans consider that to be even possibly more important than overturning Roe or defunding the police, or no? Inflation increase has been a huge issue in the US later, but no one is protesting that massively, and everyone is protesting the abortion issue. Are Americans so concerned about sex that they are willing to put this issue before, things like socialized health care and inflation?

in a word, yes. we have not outgrown our calvinist beginnings regarding puritanical sex/pleasure attitudes. to be sure, the anti-abortion types are pulling a giant feint on us, making us think they really give a damn about some cells implanted countless women, when what they really want is all about forcibly wrenching us from modernity and slamming us back in time to a cherished earlier social order, whether that of the 1950s or the 1890s or even the colonial era. think of it as "american taliban."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:08 pm

People are saying that if the GOP wins the mid terms, then we officially become a theocratic dictatorship

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:09 pm

god protect us from those who claim to work for god.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:19 pm

I hope it isn't true. For them to be a competitive political force, they should have been moving closer to the center, but they've done the opposite.

At this point, I would strongly advise those in the GOP who are right-of-center to consider forming a new party.