Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 4:59 am

It is said that homosexuals sometimes have so-called gay radar that allows them to detect other homosexuals
I wonder if there is an analogous Aspie Radar that can detect people with Autism :)

Many suspect Bill Gates of autism, recently it turned out that Elon Musk has Asperger, what a coincidence that the genius rocket engineer has autism: D

Leo Mesi is said to have Asperger, I wonder if this Australian skateboarder Kieran Woolley, by the way from what I read about him, a fantastic young dude, collided with the Cameraman at the Tokyo Olympics 2020 which took place in 2021 due to the plandemic, there is some form of autism I mean, when there are pictures of him, the expression on his face, I don't know, is just guessing, he might be had some mental problems I don't know

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 5:39 am

Yes. Gay people look for gay traits in others and also have this awareness of other gay people's looking for gay traits in other people. In that way gay people recognize this consciousness of each other. I think the same thing happens in people with autism. People with autism are aware of autistic traits and look for such traits in other people's behavior. This can lead to people with autism recognizing this awareness of each other. Well, that's my theory. It may not apply to all people with autism.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 9:31 am

I think aspie radar is certainly a thing. Social awkwardness is pretty easy to notice.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 10:39 am

But wouldn't that require some prior knowledge of the Autism Spectrum? I managed to be oblivious of the topic until I was 64...and, even though I was an Aspie, I obviously did not have "Aspie Radar" because I had no suspicion that I was on the Spectrum.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 3:59 pm

Double Retired wrote:
But wouldn't that require some prior knowledge of the Autism Spectrum? I managed to be oblivious of the topic until I was 64...and, even though I was an Aspie, I obviously did not have "Aspie Radar" because I had no suspicion that I was on the Spectrum.

Nice rainbow writing are you supporting LGBTQ spectrum too or have synesthesia :mrgreen:
I read that some Aspies have synesthesia i'm not one of them, but read papper about it

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 4:13 pm

Well, I'm an Aspie (I got a doctor's note that says so) and computers are an interest of mine. I think they are fun to play with. Given the word "Spectrum" my mind wandered to the light spectrum...and then I had some fun.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 6:01 pm

I was on a tech listserv with a member who was married, with children, and a successful small business. I asked him privately if he'd ever considered that he has AS, and he replied that he hadn't, but now his life made sense. I have another old friend I should call with the news. He even had stims.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 9:38 pm

We who are knowledgeable about autism can pick up Autistic traits in others. We only see small slices others', public persona. We don't see them in private, we usually do not see their life when they were young. Autistic traits are also traits of other conditions. The best we can do is suspect autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2022, 2:15 pm

Before I was diagnosed I had encountered, from time to time, "weird" people. Now that I look back, with this diagnosis, I realize they were probably autistic. But NTs also can spot weirdness, and when they do, those "weird" people are likely autistic.

Because I now know more about ASD, I can detect traits simply based on my knowledge rather than some sixth sense mystical vibes or energy. In the past I might've thought a quirky person had social anxiety or had been through trauma based on their odd body movements. But now I know it would be autism.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2022, 2:18 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

Nice rainbow writing are you supporting LGBTQ spectrum too or have synesthesia :mrgreen:
I read that some Aspies have synesthesia i'm not one of them, but read papper about it

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 7:25 pm

I haven't noticed anything like that in myself that can't be explained by a knowledge of ASD and a bit of thinking. And I never absolutely know that somebody has ASD. Sometimes I think somebody might be, then on further observation I'm not so sure.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 7:33 pm

there have been people i've come across who fairly screamed "autie!" at me. one little aspie boy in the supermarket had a telltale impassive stare, he walked up to me and looked at me like i was 5 feet behind myself, and asked me "can you tell me where daddy is?" not "MY daddy," but just daddy.

laevateinn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2022, 9:17 pm

i wouldn't say i have "radar"; i don't like to assume that others have autism. quite frankly it's none of my business and to me it's just playing armchair psychologist about people who i don't know anything about personally.

that being said, i do tend to gravitate towards other autistic people, even without realizing they're also autistic, but that's because humans in general like hanging out with people who are like them.

Polynechramorph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2022, 6:00 am

Two thing come to mind:
1. My therapist told me once that Aspies are 12 times more likely to marry an Aspie either knowingly or not.
2. I once read a paper about NT / AS communication. The paper stated that the most effective communication was AS - AS next was NT - NT and last place was AS - NT.

So I guess there is a much higher chance of getting along with others from your own neurological type.

"Gaydar" as it is commonly called is something I also have even though I am hetero. I can spot people from the gay community in a crowd from miles away but I've also had many people from this scene as close friends throughout my life. I also think that there is a thing like that for Aspies maybe "asdar" :lol: I tend to be able to just see it in some people.
Mystical powers or magic is simply something we can not yet scientifically explain. :)

orbweaver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2022, 6:04 pm

My mom is probably a high-masking Aspie herself, but hates other Aspies. Especially female ones.

She can spot it. Right away. She just immediately decides she doesn't like that person and she doesn't know why.

ASD (dx. 2004, Asperger's Syndrome) + ADHD

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 7:08 pm

Think it takes a good degree of the ability ‘to have insight ‘. To identify enough specific traits to identify neuro types .
Albeit different types of radar almost could be considered a certain degree of survival instinct. And identifying predators could be a type of radar that might serve a person well. Suppose a lot of identifying peoples could have to do with exposure to certain groups of individuals . 8O

where ever you go ,there you are