Dealing with an anxious cough & overactive pharyngeal reflex

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2022, 12:54 pm

Does anyone else have a cough and/or a very, very sensitive pharyngeal reflex that flares up when you're anxious? Right before a job interview (F2F or online), right before you've to head out to run an errand, even in a familiar neighbourhood. That sort of thing.

I've had it for a while now but it feels like it's getting progressively worse and either malady is easily triggered these days. I've access to propranolol due to my hyperthyroidism, but it doesn't do anything at all. All I have are mints to relieve the symptoms (I've given a lot of my money to Wrigley's over the years) momentarily. Even then it doesn't look good on me to keep popping mints during an interview just to suppress the reflex. And I feel like they're slowly losing their efficacy over time...

Just how do you guys deal with it?

theidealist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 May 2022, 1:06 pm

I'm no doctor yet, but since it's triggered by anxiety the best way to deal with it is CBT and stress management.
Maybe try herbs e.g lemon balm if anxiety medication is not an option. I used to deal with the same problem but it's less dramatic when I take Atarax(hydroxizin which is antihistamine).

I believe you can make yourself less sensitive to the reflex by brushing your tongue with a toothbrush.

Also, do you have stomach problems by any chance? Acid reflux makes gag reflex worse or just causes it and generally when you're in stress the body produces much more gastric acid.

Hope you get better

EQ - 22.3
INTJ 1w9

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2022, 1:32 pm

theidealist wrote:
I'm no doctor yet, but since it's triggered by anxiety the best way to deal with it is CBT and stress management.
Maybe try herbs e.g lemon balm if anxiety medication is not an option. I used to deal with the same problem but it's less dramatic when I take Atarax(hydroxizin which is antihistamine).

I believe you can make yourself less sensitive to the reflex by brushing your tongue with a toothbrush.

Also, do you have stomach problems by any chance? Acid reflux makes gag reflex worse or just causes it and generally when you're in stress the body produces much more gastric acid.

Hope you get better

Thanks for the reply.

I can't quite afford therapy. So herbs it would have to be -- nothing 420 related as drugs are strictly off limits where I live. Or does chlorpheniramine work in lieu of atarax?

I'm far from being able to de-sensitise myself -- even seeing the G-word or T-word is enough to set me off if I'm feeling queasy already. What I need now are quick fixes until I can scrape the money and time to see a psychiatrist or psychologist...

No, surprisingly I don't have heartburn or GERD -- a bit of IBS yes, but I don't think it contributes to the reflex issue.

theidealist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 May 2022, 4:02 pm

pokeystinker wrote:
theidealist wrote:

Hope you get better

Thanks for the reply.

I can't quite afford therapy. So herbs it would have to be -- nothing 420 related as drugs are strictly off limits where I live. Or does chlorpheniramine work in lieu of atarax?

I'm far from being able to de-sensitise myself -- even seeing the G-word or T-word is enough to set me off if I'm feeling queasy already. What I need now are quick fixes until I can scrape the money and time to see a psychiatrist or psychologist...

No, surprisingly I don't have heartburn or GERD -- a bit of IBS yes, but I don't think it contributes to the reflex issue.

Chlorpheniramine is also an antihistamine but it causes less sedation and general chill than hydroxyzine. Atarax works better because it calms the psyche pretty well. H1 antagonists such as aforementioned chlorpheniramine, are known for lowering muscle tension so that should reduce the problem a little bit. However, if your thyroid is overreactive, taking chlorphen- must be consulted because it interferes with overall hormone stability.

EQ - 22.3
INTJ 1w9

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2022, 3:50 am

theidealist wrote:
pokeystinker wrote:
theidealist wrote:

Hope you get better

Thanks for the reply.

Chlorpheniramine is also an antihistamine but it causes less sedation and general chill than hydroxyzine. Atarax works better because it calms the psyche pretty well. H1 antagonists such as aforementioned chlorpheniramine, are known for lowering muscle tension so that should reduce the problem a little bit. However, if your thyroid is overreactive, taking chlorphen- must be consulted because it interferes with overall hormone stability.

I'd better get in touch with my endo then, but that's a while away and I probably need a prescription for Atarax as well. In the meantime...what else is there? I've something coming up this week and I'm absolutely dreading the thought of it. I know for certain my anxiety will flare up.

theidealist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 May 2022, 9:53 am

I know it sounds cliché, but try to take it easy. Focus on activities that bring you joy to limit negative thoughts. Sleep is important as well so be sure to get plenty of that. And don't feel guilty for taking your time to rest properly. Avoid caffeine and sugar. Nowadays we're all living too fast and living up to often exaggerated NT's expectations isn't helpful either.

I've found that most of the time I'm being too hard on myself. I will beat myself up because I couldn't focus on my obligations thanks to the stress which led me to massive meltdowns and burnout.

Self-compassion is the key ability to learn in hard times. It's okay that you experience anxiety when you're about to approach stressful situations, the body reacts like that to warn you of possible danger. I recommend practicing breathing exercises and meditation, too. Maybe listen to relaxing binaural beats - they work for me.

I'm sure it's just temporary and you'll get over it soon tho.

EQ - 22.3
INTJ 1w9

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 May 2022, 6:46 am

theidealist wrote:
I know it sounds cliché, but try to take it easy. Focus on activities that bring you joy to limit negative thoughts. Sleep is important as well so be sure to get plenty of that. And don't feel guilty for taking your time to rest properly. Avoid caffeine and sugar. Nowadays we're all living too fast and living up to often exaggerated NT's expectations isn't helpful either.

I've found that most of the time I'm being too hard on myself. I will beat myself up because I couldn't focus on my obligations thanks to the stress which led me to massive meltdowns and burnout.

Self-compassion is the key ability to learn in hard times. It's okay that you experience anxiety when you're about to approach stressful situations, the body reacts like that to warn you of possible danger. I recommend practicing breathing exercises and meditation, too. Maybe listen to relaxing binaural beats - they work for me.

I'm sure it's just temporary and you'll get over it soon tho.

Ah, if only interviews brought me joy. I'll give skipping caffeine a go but I'm really quite reliant on it. Normally I have 2 cups a day - when I was employed I had 3 or 4 - today I had just one and I'm tired already (it's just early evening where I am).

But in the meantime, I still get that overactive reflex acting up as soon as I step out of the house. Could be agoraphobia, could be anxiety, I don't know...I really need a quick fix. Atarax isn't available without a prescription unfortunately. I tried some of the common tricks on the internet besides the ones I'm already heavily dependent on. None of them seem particularly efficacious...

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 May 2022, 3:24 pm

Just a thought. Could it be propranolol that's the issue? Am I taking it too soon before I head out?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2022, 4:05 pm

Have you ever had singing lessons? Maybe doing throat loosening vocal exercises before you need to do a lot of talking would help.

I'm sure you could find some tutorials online.

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2022, 12:08 am

hurtloam wrote:
Have you ever had singing lessons? Maybe doing throat loosening vocal exercises before you need to do a lot of talking would help.

Novel suggestion, might give it a try. Thanks.

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2022, 11:34 pm

Has anyone tried acupuncture?

I've heard that making your left hand into a fist puts pressure on a point that prevents the reflex from triggering. Hasn't quite worked out for me, however.

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2022, 1:46 pm

I went to a GP and was prescribed lorazepam as a quick fix. Fingers crossed...

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2022, 9:35 am

Lorazepam didn't really work. Didn't feel any less anxious.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 4:00 pm

pokeystinker wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

And for something a little exotic, there’s Fitzmaurice Tremoring Voicework. A person assumes different yoga positions and “seeks the tremor.” And if laughter is there, the person lets it go ahead and come. A person can even let each breath be a voiced breath.

This was a major part of a class I took some twenty years ago called “Voice for the Actor.”

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2022, 11:35 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
pokeystinker wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

And for something a little exotic, there’s Fitzmaurice Tremoring Voicework. A person assumes different yoga positions and “seeks the tremor.” And if laughter is there, the person lets it go ahead and come. A person can even let each breath be a voiced breath.

This was a major part of a class I took some twenty years ago called “Voice for the Actor.”

And if I don't have any prior yoga experience?...