What are the differences between ADHD and Asperger's?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 2:43 pm

What are the differences between ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome?

I am 36 years old and diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome from the age of 18/19
But before that, Polish school "psychologists" diagnosed me with ADHD, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, "personality,
I had a lot of various allergies, and epilepsy, but the last seizure was probably in 1995 and I haven't been taking anti-epileptic drugs since 1997, this drug was called depakine, I haven't been taking it since 1998, I think.

My mother also treated me with one doctor from the former USSR, who came to Poland in the early 90s, she was not Russian, she was Mongolian, she was a Buddhist in the USSR, she only studied medicine, she treated patients with traditional Chinese medicine, that's just me helped, she was able to diagnose diseases thanks to the pulse examination alone, because Western medicine recognizes only a few types of pulse changes, and the heart rate, and Asian doctors have distinguished several types, if I remember correctly

My mother also sent me to such a resort every year for a summer resort and coldosko, it was financed by our national health fund, at the beginning I did not like going there, but then I liked these trips, I remember how I had EEG tests there with an expensive electroencephalograph. , it was probably an expensive American imported, or a German one from Siemens, probably the money came from the European Union, although we were not part of it then, only Poland applied for accession to the EU, but never mind, I have Rolandic epilepsy.

I had a nice friend there, he went to a therapeutic ward, because he had pot, until the Polish police dealt with it, he was diagnosed with ADHD and probably Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), which is why he ended up on behavioral therapy, for having drugs in the form of weed :-)

According to this friend of mine, it was all because of that bastard Bill Clinton, which forced Poland to tighten the anti-drug law, because until 1998 the possession of weed was not punishable, but Clinton forced President Kwasniewski in the government, because Poland was once one country of the former Eastern bloc that did not have such laws, there were only general anti-morphine and anti-opium laws, but weed was not forbidden :-)

The American government has forced us to tighten penalties for unauthorized copying of computer programs, because previously the software was not covered by copyright :-)
As conditions for Poland's accession to NATO in 1999

This friend was such an "anti-Semite" he said that it was the Jews who introduced these penalties for smoking weed to earn money with prescription drugs, he could have imported by name as a so-called target import of drugs, the drug Concerta from the USA, but he did not take this drug, he said that our government sent him to a psychiatric ward for children for smoking weed and at the same time they want him to take a methamphetamine drug, where the f**k is the logic? ;-)

I asked one doctor when I was a teenager if she would write Concerta and she would not, because in her opinion I do not have ADHD / ADD but Asperger and this drug will not help with autistic disorders

I am writing this text with google translator, and i have mild dyslexia so there may be mistakes

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 2:49 pm

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 3:55 pm

Fnord wrote:

Thanks Mr Fnord :)

I wonder how many Aspergerians was misdiagnosed with ADHD?

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2022, 5:50 pm

Easy. ADHD responds to Ritalin.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 6:35 pm

Pteranomom wrote:
Easy. ADHD responds to Ritalin.

The problem is that doctors in Poland do not want to prescribe this drug if someone does not have a clearly stated diagnosis of ADHD, and even from what I heard when someone has ADHD, psychiatrists do not want to write it out because in Poland the emphasis is on psychotherapy, which usually s**t gives, I suspect that apart from Autism I also have ADHD, as I was originally diagnosed by the school psychologist when she wrote to me that an individual lesson plan is advisable for me

I had a very hyperactive friend who was commissioned by a psychiatrist to Methylphenidate, but my friend did not want to take this drug and he deceived his parents and doctors that he was taking these pills because he claimed they were taking away his creativity.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 8:39 pm

Sometimes I wonder if all my problems are due to the ADHD diagnosis and not the Asperger's.

For example, I've never actually had restrictive interests. I've just had obsessions with a certain person or people (sexual or non-sexual crushes), and I often reacted impulsively to it. I subconsciously knew that I was pestering them and that they didn't like me or weren't interested or whatever, but I couldn't resist the impulsive urges to make myself known to them and to try and get to know them. But I wasn't oblivious to anything.

But it seems that everything is a symptom of autism; any habit, behaviour, disorder, known to mankind, it always questioned as a symptom of autism on sites like this so it's not surprising that it will be no different to any other disorder. Autism is becoming so broad now that soon neurotypicals will be autistic. Actually I'm looking forward to when that happens, because then I won't be abnormal any more.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 9:40 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if all my problems are due to the ADHD diagnosis and not the Asperger's.

For example, I've never actually had restrictive interests. I've just had obsessions with a certain person or people (sexual or non-sexual crushes), and I often reacted impulsively to it. I subconsciously knew that I was pestering them and that they didn't like me or weren't interested or whatever, but I couldn't resist the impulsive urges to make myself known to them and to try and get to know them. But I wasn't oblivious to anything.

But it seems that everything is a symptom of autism; any habit, behaviour, disorder, known to mankind, it always questioned as a symptom of autism on sites like this so it's not surprising that it will be no different to any other disorder. Autism is becoming so broad now that soon neurotypicals will be autistic. Actually I'm looking forward to when that happens, because then I won't be abnormal any more.

Sexual :mrgreen:
I'm guy sadly I'm sexualy obssesd with young dudes
But wonder how females feel sexuality do ADHD folks are hypesexual
once had crush on guy two years younger we ware teen back than, he had ADHD I had Asperger booth laned "concentration camp" meant for ADHDers and aspie :)
He was 14 i was 16 even trough he looked more athletic and feet with irked me a bit and he was a gay he told me about it when we ware become more open

My friend had ADHD, he told me one life story, how he once did something wrong and was banned from leaving home, house arrested, and as Poland is a post-communist country, we have many large-panel apartment blocks, his parents locked him up and they went to work, he was supposed to do homework or something like that, but because he was locked in the house, he decided to leave the house using a gutter and a lightning diverter, but the engineers did not foresee that a man could use a lightning diverter in this way, he weighed 60 Kg, but it was too much anyway, the gutter broke and he fell from the 4th floor but he was fine except for broken ribs and arm
But since then his parents did not leave him alone at home and told him to go outside if they had to go somewhere
He told me that the psychiatrist recommended his parents to skateboard and to play other competitive sports, that his parents had mixed feelings because they were quite overprotective of him, but somehow they agreed to it

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2022, 12:27 am

ADHD is primarily a disorder of executive function, which covers a lot of areas: attention regulation, impulse control, organization, management of emotions and several others. Most of these areas probably fall under the area of general “adulting” which a lot of ADHDers have trouble with.

ASD is more about core social impairments: lack of interest or awareness, missing body language, tone of voice, broader context. Also sensory issues and obsessive interest or behaviors. ADHD can cause social issues as well but more due to the issues mentioned above. The social deficits mentioned in the ASD DSM criteria aren’t really core features of ADHD.

I think it gets confusing because a lot of Aspies also struggle with executive function and some have a comorbid ADHD diagnosis. It’s also likely that high functioning autism is still under diagnosed in adults, so some people with a few overlapping ADHD traits may have that as a diagnosis and be completely unaware of their autism.

I’ve seen this several times on social media where a person with an actual autism diagnosis will discuss their traits in a video with 20-25 items. It seems like there’s always someone, without fail, who will insist in the comments “BUT THAT’s JUST ADD!” In response to a video that’s a half hour long. It seems there’s some serious denial out there…..

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 1:17 am

With both those last four traits merge, resulting in a variety of narrow but limited interests and a need for but inability to maintain routines.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 2:28 am

funeralxempire wrote:
With both those last four traits merge, resulting in a variety of narrow but limited interests and a need for but inability to maintain routines.

Don't peep into my life. :oops:

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 2:29 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Don't peep into my life. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う