Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2022, 4:27 am

Ive thought that people with gender dysphoria can sometimes present as being autistic (not confirmed). Scientific studies have shown that trans people have different brains, which is similar because autistics have different brains.

Do you think there is a link there?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 4:55 am

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 9:49 am

no its just todays society

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 9:57 am

There might be a higher percentage of autistic folks who have gender dysphoria—but to state there’s a link between gender dysphoria and autism would be stretching it, in my opinion.

I had full-blown autism until I was 5 years old. After that, I was basically Asperger’s-like. Never had even a tinge of gender dysphoria.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 9:59 am

I've always been a tomboy (even though I dislike sport). Does that count as gender dysphoria?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 10:00 am

Joe90 wrote:
I've always been a tomboy (even though I dislike sport). Does that count as gender dysphoria?

Nope.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 10:03 am

In my opinion, not necessarily….and probably the answer is no.

Have you ever felt that you wanted to be a boy, and that you didn’t want to be a girl? I mean….not just being irritated by being a girl and seeing boys get more privileges because they are boys.

I’ve known many girls who were proud to be girls, yet liked sports, roughhousing, and other “guy” things. They also wanted boyfriends.

I like poetry and some other “feminine” things. I’m not the least bit effeminate, but somebody called me a “metrosexual” once. Even so, I am a man, and I’ve never wanted to be a woman.

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2022, 10:45 am

I’m not LGBTQ but there is a known link between autism and this community, with a disproportionate number of autistics identifying as gay, trans, non-binary etc. I don’t know the exact stats though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 10:50 am

Still, there are many non-autistics who are non-binary, LBGT+, etc., and many autistic folks who are completely cis and hetero.

I did state that there seems to be a higher percentage of autistic folks who are not cis-hetero than what occurs in the general population.

I’m thinking, perhaps, that the influence of sex and gender norms might be less within autistic folks than within non-autistic folks. And that asexuality is higher in autistic folks because they are averse to sexual contact because of sensory sensitivity.

I can relate to the sensory thing myself. It took a while for me to get “really used to” having sex. I was touch-aversive as a child.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 3:15 pm

MaxE wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Nope.

That's all right then.

I think I just find some female gender norms a little overwhelming but that still doesn't mean I'm against gender norms. I think gender plays an important role in human society and I'm not all for normalising gender-neutral stuff.

I think more Aspies suffer with age dysphoria (whether that's a thing or not it's still self-explanatory). I suffer with neurological dysphoria where I feel like a "neurotypical autistic", or a neurotypical trapped inside an autistic body or something, which might explain my anger and confusion about autism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 9:00 pm

That a larger percentage of autistic people are nonbinary than the general population has been documented in numerous studies. My experience here and elsewhere dovetails with that.

This cis-gendered straight man does think there is a link. We have atypical brains so why not atypical gender identities?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2022, 6:48 pm

When I was little I wanted to be a boy.

In my teens I might have identified as "nonbinary" if that term were around back then. I settled for thinking of myself as a gender-nonconforming woman, which is how I still think of myself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 10:56 pm

I'm both autistic and trans. I'm just one autistic person, though.