Amber Heard vs Johnny Depp: Score Keeping and Color

Page 3 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 12:13 pm

It has certainly been an interesting trial so far.

Based on what a number of lawyers have been saying about their observations while in the "audience" in the courtroom, as well as others who have been discussing the case alongside live streaming[1], it seems Ms Heard's case is unlikely to be successful, whereas Mr Depp is looking to have reasonable odds of succeeding.

The public reaction to the "couple" has also been interesting:

On other days, footage shows Ms Heard walking in with a passing "hello" to the officers at the door as she walks past them, while Mr Depp has been shaking their hands and speaking with them before entering the building - whether that says anything about each of them as people (and how they treat those "beneath" them) or their personalities is up to the viewer.

I could have done without looking at the images of Mr Depp's cut finger - Although having seen it, it certainly didn't look like the sort of thing that would be easily "self inflicted".

From what I have seen\heard so far, it certainly seems plausible that Mr Depp could have been the victim of domestic violence at the hands of Ms Heard... I'm looking forward to what the former TMZ reporter has to say when I watch today's footage in the morning, given TMZ's motion to intervene in order to prevent him testifying has just been denied.

Closing arguments will be on\before Friday, so a verdict may be returned then, or early next week.

[1] Some examples for those interested - I generally listen to one of these in the morning (local time) after they are streamed (Mainly Rekieta, but the others are just as good, and there are a number of others around as well.):
Emily Baker - https://www.youtube.com/c/TheEmilyDBaker
Legal Bytes - https://www.youtube.com/c/LegalBytesMedia
Good Lawgic - https://www.youtube.com/c/GoodLawgic
Rekieta Law - https://www.youtube.com/c/RekietaLaw

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 3:52 pm

There's no way I'd sit through hours of live streaming. However I've found then when I do take a peek, it's usually pretty interesting.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:22 pm

I am just glad I am not in their relationship.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 9:12 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
There's no way I'd sit through hours of live streaming. However I've found then when I do take a peek, it's usually pretty interesting.

The advantage of watching\listening a few hours later - The video can be played back (I vary between 1 and 1.5 speed) and simply listened to in the background while doing other things, looking up at random to see what is happenening [1], or if something interesting is said\happens, when I can rewind to get the background. It also allows skipping the breaks (lunch, etc.).

I did the same with the Rittenhouse trial (as well as taking the effort to study all applicable\available\relevent laws and evidence), which is why that verdict was no surprise - Those who rely on what the media decides they should know, making no effort to educate themselves, were the people who were shocked and\or considered that the verdict was evidence of there being "no justice" - They were basing their expectations on their opinions\feelings, rather than relevent facts...

[1] Which is what caused the unexpected viewing of the finger injury photographs.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:21 am

Kate Moss' testimony should hold as much weight as Amber's. It would appear that Johnny Depp has more past girlfriends who will testify that he did not hurt them, he is the common denominator in those relationships. Whereas, Amber is the common denominator in her claim that Johnny Depp hurt her. She does not make for a good witness on her own behalf, she hasn't been able to win over the public. I guess the jury will eventually show us if they were taken in by her performance.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:56 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Kate Moss' testimony should hold as much weight as Amber's. It would appear that Johnny Depp has more past girlfriends who will testify that he did not hurt them, he is the common denominator in those relationships. Whereas, Amber is the common denominator in her claim that Johnny Depp hurt her. She does not make for a good witness on her own behalf, she hasn't been able to win over the public. I guess the jury will eventually show us if they were taken in by her performance.

The fact that Kate Moss was even testifying came down to Amber's actions: Kate Moss (and other past "Character" testimony) was initially barred from the trial, as it was about whether specific statement made were defamatory, for which past words\actions had no bearing. During her questioning, Amber mentioned "thinking of Kate Moss and the stairs" in regards to an incident that was the subject of the trial, which was what "opened the door" to her testifying - Had Amber said nothing, Kate Moss would not have been able to testify. That was also the reason the questioning was solely about the incident where Ms Moss slipped and fell on stairs, with no discussion about any other aspect of their relationship.

Amber's team has had an unfortunate ability to make such mistakes - For example, the "digital forensics" expert that Mr Depp's team produced was restricted to answering in regards to a small area of information, but the questioning from one of Amber's lawyers almost "opened the door" to one area that was excluded (comparing\analysing colour in photographs) - he was saved here by the witness's words\actions - but "opened another door" towards the end of the questioning on a different area.

One detail that seems to be detrimental to Ms Heard's story is that although she was able to take many photographs of an unconscious Mr Depp and the damage he caused at times she claimed she was attacked by Mr Depp (and to email them to friends), she never managed to take a photograph of the injuries which she claimed she received. This problem was componded by the "digital forensics" expert who took 2 of the photographs from Ms Heard's team and showed that they were the same basic image, but that the "original" photograph (as confirmed by EXIF data contained in the file) showed no indication of "bruising"\"discolouration", whereas another version of the same photograph had been altered (determined by EXIF data) to give the appearance of discolouration.

From the evidence and testimony I have seen throughout the trial, it appears that this was a volotile relationship, with anger apparent on both sides. However, Mr Depp appears to have taken his anger out on objects, and tried to retreat from anything physical with Ms Heard. Ms Heard, on the other hand seems to have taken to physically attacking (?) Mr Depp...

While the problem of domestic violence against women is well known, and more is being done to help victims feel safe in coming forward, as well as providing support to them, there is also the (probably smaller) number of men who similarly suffer as victims of domestic violence. These men, as well as facing the same pressures as women do in coming forward, also face the added pressure of appearing "weak" among\being ridiculed by friends\colleagues ("beaten up by a girl") as society's expectation is (or was when they were growing up, and so is ingrained in them\their colleagues) that "men should be strong" and "should be able to take it like a man", which is an additional barrier they need to struggle past in order to be able to seek help.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 1:19 pm

I'm watching her trials on youtube and they just keep exposing her lies. Even my husband who doesn't even care about this case and never even watched it knew she was lying when I played one of the clips.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 1:44 pm

Persephone29 wrote:

His relationship before Heard lasted something like 14 years. From what I've gleaned, she's spoken out against Heard. But Heard would go with her claim regarding Moss' testimony and everyone else', is that Johnny Depp has Svengali-like power over everyone. Everyone except her of course.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 5:18 pm

BPD is a helluva disorder. Ask me how I know. :wall:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:44 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

The fact that Kate Moss was even testifying came down to Amber's actions: Kate Moss (and other past "Character" testimony) was initially barred from the trial, as it was about whether specific statement made were defamatory, for which past words\actions had no bearing. During her questioning, Amber mentioned "thinking of Kate Moss and the stairs" in regards to an incident that was the subject of the trial, which was what "opened the door" to her testifying - Had Amber said nothing, Kate Moss would not have been able to testify. That was also the reason the questioning was solely about the incident where Ms Moss slipped and fell on stairs, with no discussion about any other aspect of their relationship.

Amber's team has had an unfortunate ability to make such mistakes - For example, the "digital forensics" expert that Mr Depp's team produced was restricted to answering in regards to a small area of information, but the questioning from one of Amber's lawyers almost "opened the door" to one area that was excluded (comparing\analysing colour in photographs) - he was saved here by the witness's words\actions - but "opened another door" towards the end of the questioning on a different area.

One detail that seems to be detrimental to Ms Heard's story is that although she was able to take many photographs of an unconscious Mr Depp and the damage he caused at times she claimed she was attacked by Mr Depp (and to email them to friends), she never managed to take a photograph of the injuries which she claimed she received. This problem was componded by the "digital forensics" expert who took 2 of the photographs from Ms Heard's team and showed that they were the same basic image, but that the "original" photograph (as confirmed by EXIF data contained in the file) showed no indication of "bruising"\"discolouration", whereas another version of the same photograph had been altered (determined by EXIF data) to give the appearance of discolouration.

From the evidence and testimony I have seen throughout the trial, it appears that this was a volotile relationship, with anger apparent on both sides. However, Mr Depp appears to have taken his anger out on objects, and tried to retreat from anything physical with Ms Heard. Ms Heard, on the other hand seems to have taken to physically attacking (?) Mr Depp...

While the problem of domestic violence against women is well known, and more is being done to help victims feel safe in coming forward, as well as providing support to them, there is also the (probably smaller) number of men who similarly suffer as victims of domestic violence. These men, as well as facing the same pressures as women do in coming forward, also face the added pressure of appearing "weak" among\being ridiculed by friends\colleagues ("beaten up by a girl") as society's expectation is (or was when they were growing up, and so is ingrained in them\their colleagues) that "men should be strong" and "should be able to take it like a man", which is an additional barrier they need to struggle past in order to be able to seek help.

Amber is not winning an Oscar for this performance!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:18 pm

Persephone29 wrote:

How about a Razzie?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 1:45 am

This New Yorker piece sheds a very different light on the trial:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... ket-newtab

One thing that struck me was how much direct evidence the article cites that few seem to be registering while watching the trial. Not all abuse is physical.

Another thing that struck me was the speculation on Depp's motive for pursuing this trial.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 2:53 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
This New Yorker piece sheds a very different light on the trial:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... ket-newtab

That it does.

And I can see why they listed it as "commentary" rather than news, as well, which was the correct move by the editors at the site.

DW_a_mom wrote:
One thing that struck me was how much direct evidence the article cites that few seem to be registering while watching the trial. Not all abuse is physical.

Another thing that struck me was the speculation on Depp's motive for pursuing this trial.

If you had watched the trial and what led up to it, you would understand what was happening and what some of the problems with that blog post\opinion you linked to were (the first line of the second paragraph is a start). Unfortunately I don't have time to explain it to you.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 6:10 am

Brictoria wrote:
If you had watched the trial and what led up to it, you would understand what was happening and what some of the problems with that blog post\opinion you linked to were (the first line of the second paragraph is a start). Unfortunately I don't have time to explain it to you.

I shared the information as food for thought, not as something I've reached any conclusions on. I personally don't have much interest in watching a formerly married couple air their dirty laundry to the world, nor do I have much interest in judging their characters. Trial or no trial, we can never really know what went on inside someone else's marriage, and I'm not about to pretend to. However, since this thread has a strong leaning in one direction, when I saw information going the other way, I thought it needed to be shared. I will note that the things Depp has said in writing about his ex-wife to others are, quite honestly, disturbing. Whatever happened in that marriage, it most certainly wasn't healthy. Still, I'll focus on my own marriage, and helping friends deal with the emotional abuse I've had real life front row seats to witness.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 6:29 am

Here's a better explanation of what the case is about, explaining what needs to be met for defamation, as well as outlining the 3 sentences from the article that Ms Heard was being sued over:

Ms Heard's countersuit against Mr Depp is with regards to 3 statements to the press made by Mr Waldman, who she claims he was acting as Mr Depp's "agent" (and so acting at Mr Depp's instruction\direction), for which Mr Depp should be held liable (I haven't got a link to the articles\statements at present, unfortunately) in the same way that is shown in the video (I also can't recall if she was suing "per se" or "per quod", but I think "per quod" is the more likely standard that would need to be applied as I don't recall that she was accused of a crime in the statements).

Off Topic
Sorry it took so long to post this info: I was just leaving work when I posted previously, and haven't been home long - Public transport can be annoying at times.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 6:39 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

It is interesting that her acting coach stated in her deposition:
Quote:
4:18 - um, ironically she has a little difficulty crying um acting wise
[...]
Question:
4:43 - is the crying that she did in aurora different than the crying you observed so often in the last year of her relationship with mr duck
Answer
4:52 - yes

This may be of use when evaluating her crying in court while being questioned...