Amber Heard vs Johnny Depp: Score Keeping and Color

Page 4 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 6:52 am

Last day of evidence was interesting - Ms Heard seemed to be saying that everyone other than herself was lying, when her statements were compared to theirs and there was a conflict between them.

Then this happened:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 8:36 am

A little background on Ms Heard's experience with domestic violence which wasn't permitted to be entered at trial as the judge believed that it could be too prejudicial:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 9:24 am

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 11:02 am

I have been enjoying this new way of public opinion deciding who is guilty or innocent via livestreamed trials. Because it doesn't necessarily connect with any of the rulings. But I feel like we all get to view the people and decide for ourselves what we think. Maybe it will help future Hollywood give us better options in the next few years. They'll see whose sides people are on.

I never would have thought I would consider Johnny Depp sad or pitiful. I would like him to have a second chance. Maybe he should try to get back with his ex-wife after all this is over. Make more art films or something.

Can we hope that Marilyn Manson may have some sort of public trial? I really enjoyed his ramblings on the Talking Dead a few years ago. I would love to hear him explain himself.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 4:31 am

The trial has concluded. Now it's up to the jury.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2022, 5:49 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
This New Yorker piece sheds a very different light on the trial:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... ket-newtab

One thing that struck me was how much direct evidence the article cites that few seem to be registering while watching the trial. Not all abuse is physical.

Another thing that struck me was the speculation on Depp's motive for pursuing this trial.

Excellent article, thanks for posting. Does a very good job of debunking the far-right hysteria swirling around this case.

Given that the High Court of the UK (which has much stricter libel laws) already found that describing Depp as a wife-beater was true, it’s hard to imagine an American court finding Heard’s much tamer claims to be libellous.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 6:05 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
I have been enjoying this new way of public opinion deciding who is guilty or innocent via livestreamed trials. Because it doesn't necessarily connect with any of the rulings. But I feel like we all get to view the people and decide for ourselves what we think. Maybe it will help future Hollywood give us better options in the next few years. They'll see whose sides people are on.

I never would have thought I would consider Johnny Depp sad or pitiful. I would like him to have a second chance. Maybe he should try to get back with his ex-wife after all this is over. Make more art films or something.

Can we hope that Marilyn Manson may have some sort of public trial? I really enjoyed his ramblings on the Talking Dead a few years ago. I would love to hear him explain himself.

Given trials (for the most part) are open to the public to view, I see it as a positive move to widen the potential "viewership", so that those who lack the ability to attend the coutroom (or get a seat in "popular" cases) are still able to observe justice in action.

By allowing more people to witness trials, it helps reinforce people's confidence in the dispensation of justice. It also allows people to get a fuller picture of the issues at question in the case, rather than relying on whatever the media deem as the most "newsorthy" bits, so that even if the verdict returned does not match their expectations, by having the full picture of what occurred, they would understand why - Rather than screaming "there is no justice" when things don't as they expect (as though their opinions\feelings\beliefs hold the ultimate truth), they would understand how and why the verdict came about.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:01 am

The_Walrus wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

One thing that struck me was how much direct evidence the article cites that few seem to be registering while watching the trial. Not all abuse is physical.

Another thing that struck me was the speculation on Depp's motive for pursuing this trial.

Excellent article, thanks for posting. Does a very good job of debunking the far-right hysteria swirling around this case.

Given that the High Court of the UK (which has much stricter libel laws) already found that describing Depp as a wife-beater was true, it’s hard to imagine an American court finding Heard’s much tamer claims to be libellous.

Yes. Glad the DW posted that. I was about to join the rush to judgement in defense of Johnny crowd. But now...I will just abstain from judging -either way-for the time being.

Trouble is -I hafta to shelve a joke I was about to make...was gonna say "Amber Heard should marry Jussie Smollett" Shelve it because now Im not so sure that Heard is in the same category of being a fake victim as Smollett. Oh well. :mrgreen:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:06 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The trial has concluded. Now it's up to the jury.

I've just finished listening to the closing arguments (Ms Heard's team certainly did themselves no favours by using so much time in closing arguments, and as a result having so little time left for rebuttals in the end)... It will be interesting to see what the returned verdict is (and in the future, how the jurors describe the trial and process of reaching the verdict - what evidence convinced\didn't convince them).

I'd think Mr Depp has a fairly good chance of succeeding on his claims, whereas Ms Heard would seem unlikely to succeed on her counterclaims, based on the evidence presented in court... But you can never predict a jury.

I feel sorry for the alternates, who were forced to sit through the trial, are under the same constraints as the jury, yet cannot participate in the deliberations - A necessary, yet unfortunate requirement for these things... Unlike the rest of the jury, they'll also miss out on the "fame" (and probable money) that could come from the media to the particpants in the deliberations, and so their only "reward" is likely to be the $30 per day that all jurors in that state receive (not that I endorse the jury members seeking fame or money, I am merely observing the alternate's position with regards to the final jury).

As a side note: Have you noticed a fringe theory that some curiously hold to: that being more convinced by a certain set of facts presented in the case means you are (or are affiliated with the) "far right"? I don't recall any mention of politics throught the court proceedings, so I'm curious as to whether anyone knows where such a daft belief could come from... And what could drive a person to believe it could have any possible credibility (or foundation in reality, for that matter)?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 6:19 pm

Live streamed yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjCWuESRvN8&t=3110s

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 9:09 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

What stands out to me is that every other woman Depp has been in a relationship with, has made it quite clear he never abused them. As far as I know Kate Moss is the only other woman he's been accused of abusing, and she made it clear that never happened.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 10:57 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

What stands out to me is that every other woman Depp has been in a relationship with, has made it quite clear he never abused them. As far as I know Kate Moss is the only other woman he's been accused of abusing, and she made it clear that never happened.

As opposed to Ms Heard, who has a reported history of physical acts against a past partner. There was also the issue that her story has constantly changed, with new, more serious, incidents being put forward by Ms Heard each time her story was questioned, as was noted in the closing argument.

While that gossip mag opinion piece was interesting to read, it misrepresented quite a lot of what the case was about, and appears to have been written by a person who had minimal knowledge of the case, but wanted to put forward their feelings about it from the "me too" point of view.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 11:11 am

For those interested in the final jury composition:
Asian male, late 20's-early 30's
Asian male, mid 30's
African American/Indian female, late 30's-early 40's
Asian female, mid 30's
Caucasian male, mid 60's
Caucasian male, late 20's-early 30's
Asian/Polynesian male, mid 40's

The 2 jurors who were excused (alternates) were:
Asian male, Mid 20's
Caucasian female, mid 50's

The verdict requires a unanimous decision. Take the observations in the following video about the jury members and their likely conclusions of as you will.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 1:13 pm

I'm happy to hear JD won and it's been crickets on Reddit about it. I thought I would be seeing radical feminists ranting about it and saying how doomed women victims are in domestic abuse and how society favors men.

I might be mistaken here, they are not officially saying yet he won.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 1:24 pm

Maybe I was the right the first time.

Saying that "Heard should marry Jussie Smollett" so that they both can be fake victims of each other!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 May 2022, 2:12 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

That's not true: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainmen ... medium=RSS

Brictoria wrote:

As a side note: Have you noticed a fringe theory that some curiously hold to: that being more convinced by a certain set of facts presented in the case means you are (or are affiliated with the) "far right"? I don't recall any mention of politics throught the court proceedings, so I'm curious as to whether anyone knows where such a daft belief could come from... And what could drive a person to believe it could have any possible credibility (or foundation in reality, for that matter)?

The evidence against Depp is pretty overwhelming. The only people who aren't convinced by it are people with pretty strong biases. Of course, that doesn't mean that Heard is the "perfect victim", or that Depp hasn't also been a victim some of the time, but the facts are pretty clear.

Last edited by Cornflake on 30 May 2022, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.: Removed a personal political accusation