Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Schwiitzer
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2022, 1:53 pm

Any groups out there that play Steam games?

(Below is my reasoning for the question and is a longer story so no need to read if you're not interested)

One of the reasons that I joined this forum was to hopefully find a group of people that I could interact with that might understand me a little bit better. In the past I've had difficulties maintaining relationships with friends and people that I've gamed with. With the knowledge that I've learned about myself over the last month since myself diagnosis I can see why that has happened. I'm a 43 year old dad of 4, married 19 years. Obviously good masking skills since I didn't even consider ASD until a little over a month ago.

The best group I ever joined was when I was playing Ark Survival Evolved and just on a whim went to a beginner's server and asked if anybody else wanted to make a group and we got together about seven people from that server and we made our own little group I played with members of that group for almost 2 years. Every day we would get on discord and voicechat with each other and talk about whatever games we were playing. We ended up playing Ark, Valheim, The Forest and subsistence along with a few other smaller labels. When I first started playing with them I think it was the happiest time that I've had for years. I didn't realize how much I missed interacting with people that shared my interest in gaming. All of my other acquaintances were either due to interactions with my kids (other parents) or at church.

Eventually though the group started to separate going off and doing their own games and this last Christmas everybody kind of quit. Since then I've only been playing single player games as my means of daily stress relief. I play games because it distracts me from the stresses of the day and more importantly helps center me when I'm having an emotional reaction or outright meltdown.

I'm really hoping that I can find another group that I click with well like that one I love talking on discord as long as it's not too social. Meaning if we're talking about a game I'll talk for hours. if you want to know how my day was I'll give you one syllable answers.

One of my problems is I don't like traditional games that many hardcore gamers like for example I don't play first person shooters or high stress, fast click, pattern learning, fighting games that are so popular on the consoles. I love building, I love creating something. I can spend days or weeks on a single project. I only play PC games mostly on Steam because it's easy.

StillWaters
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 May 2022, 2:55 am

Hey Schwiitzer, I would be interested in this! Long-term gamer myself (Mostly PC and Nintendo) and can very much relate to the gaming-comradery you describe. Do you play Nintendo Switch as well by any chance?

irreversibility
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2022, 8:05 pm

Hi Schwiitzer,

So what do you want to play? The only things I own on Steam that match your criteria are Terraforming Mars and MiniMetro. I do like building games and use to spend long periods of time building civilizations on the original Civ. I get what you mean about mixing the 'social' and the 'game'. In many experiences I've not been able to figure out the correct ratio between 'activity' conversation and 'non-activity' conversation that makes the other people happy. I'm not very good at converting events in my life to interesting stories.

I came back to the forum looking for Rocket League players. I'm doing some volunteer work with kids and we are playing Minecraft and Rocket League with them. Minecraft I've always loved, but soc-car is growing on me. I'd like to play regularly with some people, maybe I'll have to create a dedicated post for it.

Irreversibility

StillWaters
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2022, 12:28 pm

irreversibility wrote:
I came back to the forum looking for Rocket League players. I'm doing some volunteer work with kids and we are playing Minecraft and Rocket League with them. Minecraft I've always loved, but soc-car is growing on me. I'd like to play regularly with some people, maybe I'll have to create a dedicated post for it.
I have both Rocket League and MineCraft on Switch and I think Multi-Player with PC is possible on these. Wanna give it a try?