Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ggravitas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2022, 4:04 pm

This is a big step for me. For context, I'm 59. I was recently watching a TV show, "As We See it" about characters on the spectrum, and it really wasn't anything unusual, meaning they were characters I'd seen depicted before, but this time I recognized more of me in one of the characters. So I looked up Asperger's for the first time--I know that name isn't used clinically anymore--and the description was even more familiar to me.

I've spent the last two weeks taking every online test, AQ, Aspie, etc. I could find and kept getting similar results, "likely autistic" and one even stated I had "an over 90% probability of being diagnosed with Asperger's". I paid to take that test 5 times. I even tried adjusted my answers but the lowest score I got was "fairly prominent symptoms". Though I know I've always had social anxieties and difficulty relating to people; it also never held me back. On the other hand, if I shared this with some people, I'm sure they'd say, "that explains a lot." :D

I don't know, the results just don't seem true to me, like a false positive. I was thinking of actually getting a real diagnosis, but at my age, I don't really see how it would make any difference. And more likely I'd be embarrassed by the process.

Anyway, I found this forum and thought I'd put this out there and get other opinions/experiences. Anyone else have a similar experience?

thanks

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 May 2022, 6:41 pm

I'm glad you found this place weather your on the spectrum or not :wink: If you relate to a bit of autism traits or just want to learn about autism or share life experience, your very welcome here. My experience is not like yours but I don't think having an autism diagnoses or not will change anything for us if we don't make the change happen ourselves. Getting diagnosed can be a jumping off point towards learning about ourselves & finding people we relate to & share experiences & our different preservatives as well as getting various needed support & sometimes services if we invest some time & effort into it but we don't need an autism diagnoses to do that, well except for the services sometimes but most of the autism services are geared towards kids, teens, & young adults. The older members tended to kinda miss the boat when they were little due to much less autism awareness but the support of an autism community like this forum can still be a big help to us.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 8:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

The decision on whether to seek a professional diagnosis is often a difficult one. The first thing you should determine is if you need professional validation for your suspicions.

If you do decide to be professionally assessed then you have to weigh the costs and ability to get to a competent clinician, meaning one that understands how autism presents in mature adults. They are often not easy to find. It depends where in Pennsylvania you live. The closer you are to a major city or a college campus the better.

I liked As We See It also. The actors who played all three autistic characters are autistic as are many of the writers
and editors. There is a Wrong Planet thread about the series.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ggravitas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2022, 8:22 am

Thanks. I have read it is difficult to get a diagnosis as an adult. I did get a couple names from the local Autism Society of professionals who are supposed to be able to give adult assessments. Just not sure if I'm going to step thru that door.