My brother made me so confused about what ASD is

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 11:28 pm

I told my brother that Pervasive Developmental Disorder is not rare, but my brother told me that I have PDD-NOS, and that doesn't mean that I am autistic, and that it's two different things. I so confused right now, because PDD-NOS, Asperger Syndrome, Rett Syndrome and CDD, and Autistic Disorder are forms of Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

My brother even time me that Asperger Syndrome is rare, but I don't think that is true, I think there are people with undiagnosed Asperger Syndrome or just undiagnosed ASD.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2022, 1:54 am

Depends on what you mean by "rare." Is 1 in 50 rare, or common?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 6:38 am

I just don't think it is rare, because studies suggests that Asperger Syndrome is a underdiagnosed condition, meaning that there are people that have undiagnosed Asperger Syndrome, although today they will be diagnosed with ASD.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 8:21 am

By the definitions set forth in the DSM-IV, having PDD-NOS means you're on the autistic spectrum, but you don't have "autistic disorder."

I would contradict your brother. You're "on the spectrum," according to the DSM-IV--though you might not be, in the strictist sense, "autistic."

You are "autistic" beause you're on the "autistic spectrum." It doesn't lessen you as a person----just like having cancer doesn't lessen you as a person.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 9:46 am

That makes sense.