Autistic adults vaccinate at a high rate

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 2:26 pm

Long COVID is a known side-effect of having COVID. I've read that it affects between 10-30% of people who have had COVID up to the Delta Variant. People who have had both mild and severe disease. I don't believe there have been studies of people who have had the Omicron infection.

I had the "original" COVID. This was about 9 months before vaccines became first available. Fortunately, my only "possible" Long COVID symptom is a seemingly constant cold with occasional chest congestion. It hasn't affected my endurance, or my mental state (I wasn't so great before COVID :wink: ) I have not had a positive COVID test in over 2 years.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 5:49 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Those with Autism do have an altered immune response that skews towards a more pro-inflammatory state over anti-inflammatory, which in theory might create the environment for a more severe outcome due to more cellular damage. Whether innate to Autism or modifiable (lack of sunlight leading to Vitamin D deficiency, for example), I'm not sure there. The same for severity of Autism itself, as I can't recall it being mentioned. There's quite a few papers on this, and it's generally conclusive that this is the case, whatever the cause.

It's not exclusive to Autism, and Schizophrenia has something similar.

How does having a neurological disorder/different brain wiring affect the body's physical health? It's a bit like saying a dyslexic person will have a different immunity response. Autism affects me as "mildly" as dyslexia affects a person; just a few minor difficulties but otherwise "normal". I have ADHD as well. Is that suddenly a physical threat to my immune system also?

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 6:09 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I have Asperger's *and* I'm left-handed. I should have died in my early 30's. :roll:

LOL - Me too (and I'm your age-ish). I've stayed away from standard power tools, struggled with (and failed) right-handed instructions A LOT, and survived numerous soup attacks from buffets' right-hand biased ladles.

I'm also strawberry blonde so would have been burned at the stake 250 years ago. In this century I hope to outlive those that persecute me (aka thrive despite unconscious biases, including my own).

Interesting about pro-inflammatory... at first my ADHD child and I (ASD) came to mind since he's super expressive and reactive like myself and we are the ones who are sick often, especially with stomach bugs. I did not think of my ASD child and husband who not often expressive nor sick. But then it's only my ASD child and I (ASD) that have had full-body hives, which may be inflammatory related...

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 6:33 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Those with Autism do have an altered immune response that skews towards a more pro-inflammatory state over anti-inflammatory, which in theory might create the environment for a more severe outcome due to more cellular damage. Whether innate to Autism or modifiable (lack of sunlight leading to Vitamin D deficiency, for example), I'm not sure there. The same for severity of Autism itself, as I can't recall it being mentioned. There's quite a few papers on this, and it's generally conclusive that this is the case, whatever the cause.

It's not exclusive to Autism, and Schizophrenia has something similar.

How does having a neurological disorder/different brain wiring affect the body's physical health? It's a bit like saying a dyslexic person will have a different immunity response. Autism affects me as "mildly" as dyslexia affects a person; just a few minor difficulties but otherwise "normal". I have ADHD as well. Is that suddenly a physical threat to my immune system also?

So what IS Autism? Twin studies seem to indicate a strong genetic component. Also a literature survey I read (meta-analysis of lots of papers from scientific journals - using statistical math and intelligent review of the material) showed overlap between some genetic sites and both ADHD and ASD (Autism). The genetic differences seem to result in differences in brain development (visible in MRI scans and shown in EEG developmental studies) and also “expressed proteins”. So *statistically* AS A GROUP Autistics can have more than neurological and down-stream behavioural differences from our NT friends. But if you have met one Autistic person … you have met ONE Autistic person. There is a lot of variation in individuals.

YMMV (your milage may vary)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 7:37 pm

Well my immune system has never been any different to any of my neurotypical peers, does that mean I'm an anomaly for an Aspie? :roll: Does that mean I won't die next year from an autism-related stroke?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 7:57 pm

I'm autistic----and-----cross my fingers-----I have a pretty good immune system.