How many listen to 1960s and 1970s songs on AM Radio?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 3:13 pm

The older generations might remember first hearing songs on AM Radio. Those Beatles songs retaining their popularity to this day might just have first been heard on AM radio.

It's an interesting experience for the older generations to hear those songs on AM Radio - despite the low quality of AM radio formats.

RELATED: It's interesting to hear the popular Beatles song 'I Wan't to Hold Your Hand' in German regardless of the sound quality.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 7:52 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
The older generations might remember first hearing songs on AM Radio. Those Beatles songs retaining their popularity to this day might just have first been heard on AM radio.

It's an interesting experience for the older generations to hear those songs on AM Radio - despite the low quality of AM radio formats.

RELATED: It's interesting to hear the popular Beatles song 'I Wan't to Hold Your Hand' in German regardless of the sound quality.

There is very little music period on AM radio. The "oldies" stations have mostly switched to "Classic Hits" which are generally 80s and 90s with maybe a dash of 70s. Advertisers for the most part do not want to market to people age 55 and up. The theory is that advertising is ineffective because older people are too set in their ways to be persuaded. People who were teenagers in the 70s are age 60 and up.

"Classic Rock" stations are still successful with boomers but that format and its predecessors started on FM.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 8:10 pm

There used to be a number of stations in the 80s in my area that played late 50's early 60's music that I liked.
Now I need to find those songs on CD or youtube or someplace else.
I had a few CDs with the late 50's early 60's stuff that I liked on it. My daughter just copied the names of the songs into a Spotify playlist so she could listen online. I am not as fond of 70s but I like to hear some of it now that people have picked out the best of it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 9:02 pm

Fenn wrote:
There used to be a number of stations in the 80s in my area that played late 50's early 60's music that I liked.
Now I need to find those songs on CD or youtube or someplace else.
I had a few CDs with the late 50's early 60's stuff that I liked on it. My daughter just copied the names of the songs into a Spotify playlist so she could listen online. I am not as fond of 70s but I like to hear some of it now that people have picked out the best of it.

In 1985 that music was around 25 years old. 25-year-old music now is from 1997.

There is Spotify and others like it. If you want others to pick for you there is satellite and internet stations. They are very narrowcast and they do have stations playing 50s and 60s music. The stations go beyond decades and narrowcast by year and genre and so on.

Mixcloud has many old airchecks from radio stations way back when. You get a feel for what radio actually sounded like at the time with commercials and newsbreaks.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 2:14 pm

See Goggle images for 'AM GOLD' KTEL 1960s and 1970s.

A couple of films depicting the 1970s in Los Angeles included soundtracks of 1970s music - films 'Boogie Nights' and 'Licorice Pizza.' The film 'Boogie Nights' included segments discussing both audio and visual technologies.

The film 'Once Upon a Time In Hollywood' included soundtracks from the 1960s.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 4:04 pm

This guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Blavat

was on the radio - Philadelphia was big in that music scene because of Bandstand - it looks like he is still doing something

https://www.mixcloud.com/jerryblavatlive/

I also like motown

https://www.accuradio.com/channel/motown-sound/63/

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 4:12 pm

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Awesome_Mix_Vol._1

Track List
"Hooked on a Feeling" by Blue Swede
"Go All the Way" by Raspberries
"Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum
"Moonage Daydream" by David Bowie
"Fooled Around and Fell in Love" by Elvin Bishop
"I'm Not in Love" by 10cc
"Come and Get Your Love" by Redbone
"Cherry Bomb" by The Runaways
"Escape" by Rupert Holmes
"O-o-h Child" by Five Stairsteps
"Come a Little Bit Closer" by Jay and the Americans
"Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang" by Silver

Notes
A soundtrack album called Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 was released, which contained those very same songs featured in the film Guardians of the Galaxy.

The song "Spirit in the Sky" does not appear in the film but is in one of the promotional trailers for the film and so is on the film's soundtrack.

The in movie mixtape does not include "I Want You Back" and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". These songs were in the film and so appeared on the film's soundtrack, but were actually the first two tracks on Awesome Mix Vol. 2 which was discovered by Peter at the end of the film.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 7:22 pm

Anybody remember the 'FM Radio Converter' for vehicles?

An 'FM Radio Converter' was sizable enough to resemble a second audio radio for vehicles.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 7:38 pm

This film had a good sound track

( Wikipedia - Stand by Me (1986) )

( imdb - Stand by Me - Soundtrack - Songs )

Last edited by Fenn on 11 May 2022, 8:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 7:48 pm

This one too

( wikipedia - 41 Original Hits from the Soundtrack of American Graffiti )

Last edited by Fenn on 11 May 2022, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 8:05 pm

I currently listen to old time radio from a USB stick while driving.

Jean Shepherd was really great.

If you want to hear something funny, listen to his accounts of the "I, Libertine" book.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 8:57 pm

For 70s I liked funk and gospel better than disco - I was in High School in the 70s and 80s but preferred oldies (late 50s early 60s) over top 10. Now all of that stuff is called Oldies.

LOL

My kids like Elvis because of Lilo and Stitch

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 10:31 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:

A couple of films depicting the 1970s in Los Angeles included soundtracks of 1970s music - films 'Boogie Nights' and 'Licorice Pizza.' The film 'Boogie Nights' included segments discussing both audio and visual technologies.

The movies 'Boogie Nights' and 'Licorice Pizza' covered life in the SF Valley. 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' included the SF Valley in parts of the film.

How many people remember life in Los Angeles, and/or the SF Valley in the 1960s and 1970s? The auto-radio broadcasts played a big part of life in an automobile-oriented city.

I've also found old radio commercials (broadcast on AM Radio) on YouTube - memorable for some of the older generations from LA. How many people remember KGIL, KHJ, and KFI AM radio?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 5:08 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

The movies 'Boogie Nights' and 'Licorice Pizza' covered life in the SF Valley. 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' included the SF Valley in parts of the film.

How many people remember life in Los Angeles, and/or the SF Valley in the 1960s and 1970s? The auto-radio broadcasts played a big part of life in an automobile-oriented city.

I've also found old radio commercials (broadcast on AM Radio) on YouTube - memorable for some of the older generations from LA. How many people remember KGIL, KHJ, and KFI AM radio?

Apollo 10 1/2 Soundtrack