Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 9 Apr 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 535

11 May 2022, 7:52 am

I would like anyone on this forum to share any healthy eating tips that they may have, particularly tips that they practice themselves. I am just trying to further improve my eating habits to live a healthy life. I currently have no health problems and want to stay that way. Any tips will be appreciated.

I'll just give simple examples here to give you an idea.
e.g. Avoid eating salami because all processed meats including bacon have been proven to be carcinogenic.
e.g. Having coffee regularly reduces the chance of a man getting prostate cancer.
e.g. Use erythritol instead of sugar or honey to enjoy sweets/sweet drinks without increasing carb intake.

(I'm putting this thread here because there's no section in this forum about eating/food etc.)



ChrisInAustralia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 11 May 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 61
Location: Hobart

11 May 2022, 7:29 pm

temp1234 wrote:
I would like anyone on this forum to share any healthy eating tips that they may have, particularly tips that they practice themselves. I am just trying to further improve my eating habits to live a healthy life. I currently have no health problems and want to stay that way. Any tips will be appreciated.

I'll just give simple examples here to give you an idea.
e.g. Avoid eating salami because all processed meats including bacon have been proven to be carcinogenic.
e.g. Having coffee regularly reduces the chance of a man getting prostate cancer.
e.g. Use erythritol instead of sugar or honey to enjoy sweets/sweet drinks without increasing carb intake.

(I'm putting this thread here because there's no section in this forum about eating/food etc.)


I recently learned to cook. In typical autistic fashion, I now can make a ton of things without a recipe and cook pretty elaborate meals every night. Making my own food means I know what goes in it and can balance things. I throw spinach in almost everything. As far as weight loss is concerned, I downloaded a calorie counting app and limit my calories every day. I typically have a coffee for breakfast and a 'normal' dinner and nothing between. That might not be the healthiest option but I find I actually function fine that way, without being hungry, and I lost 25 kg last year.



temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 9 Apr 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 535

12 May 2022, 8:10 am

ChrisInAustralia wrote:
I recently learned to cook. In typical autistic fashion, I now can make a ton of things without a recipe and cook pretty elaborate meals every night. Making my own food means I know what goes in it and can balance things. I throw spinach in almost everything. As far as weight loss is concerned, I downloaded a calorie counting app and limit my calories every day. I typically have a coffee for breakfast and a 'normal' dinner and nothing between. That might not be the healthiest option but I find I actually function fine that way, without being hungry, and I lost 25 kg last year.

Thank you for your input.

Knowing what's in what you eat is definitely important. Take-away meals such as pizzas and Chinese food don't give you info. Often lots of salt, bad oil and even sugar in them. Pretty scary.

I know spinach has lots of good things in it but am not sure exactly what. Any specific purpose for having lots of spinach?

Your way of eating sounds like doing intermittent fasting, which is supposed to be good. There seem to be various versions of intermittent fasting. I've never really consciously tried any.

Losing 25kg over a year is pretty impressive. Your healthy eating regime must be working.



ChrisInAustralia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 11 May 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 61
Location: Hobart

12 May 2022, 5:36 pm

temp1234 wrote:
ChrisInAustralia wrote:
I recently learned to cook. In typical autistic fashion, I now can make a ton of things without a recipe and cook pretty elaborate meals every night. Making my own food means I know what goes in it and can balance things. I throw spinach in almost everything. As far as weight loss is concerned, I downloaded a calorie counting app and limit my calories every day. I typically have a coffee for breakfast and a 'normal' dinner and nothing between. That might not be the healthiest option but I find I actually function fine that way, without being hungry, and I lost 25 kg last year.

Thank you for your input.

Knowing what's in what you eat is definitely important. Take-away meals such as pizzas and Chinese food don't give you info. Often lots of salt, bad oil and even sugar in them. Pretty scary.

I know spinach has lots of good things in it but am not sure exactly what. Any specific purpose for having lots of spinach?

Your way of eating sounds like doing intermittent fasting, which is supposed to be good. There seem to be various versions of intermittent fasting. I've never really consciously tried any.

Losing 25kg over a year is pretty impressive. Your healthy eating regime must be working.


I grow spinach because I like it. The thing with spinach is it keeps growing. Grow enough and you can pick it every second day. It's not a 'super vegetable', it's a vegetable that's easy to add to things.

I don't consciously fast, I'll eat lunch only if I'm hungry which is rare

Yeah, it was actually six months and it felt good. It's creeping up, I was 120 kg, got down to 87, stabilised at 93, and am at 99 right now



ScroogeMcDuck666
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 29
Location: Colorado

13 May 2022, 8:29 pm

I have to get pretty extreme to manage my autoimmune diseases. I mostly just eat grass-fed ground beef, salt, spinach, and water. Sometimes I'll drink decaf coffee with a low-carb coconut oil based creamer, but I can't go overboard with that. I make two half pound beef patties and poke a hole in them with my thumb to turn them into beef donuts, this allows them to cook more evenly. I then cook them on my cast iron skillet at high heat for a little over 4 minutes on each side. I do this twice a day within a few hours of each other. It seems to work better for me than anything else I've tried. I suspect this diet would work really well for most people, but many people could probably get similar results without being so strict.



Minervx_2
Toucan
Toucan

Joined: 22 May 2016
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 266

13 Jun 2022, 4:08 pm

Don't just go by names of food. Use numbers. Track calories. Properly measure out portion sizes of food. Track protein, carbs, fat.

Also, view food in context of the whole diet. Rather than judging just whether X food is intrinsically healthy or unhealthy. Look at everything you've eaten in the past day as a whole and ask collectively, has this overall list of food meeting your nutrition goals?