Page 5 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 7:35 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Not everyone has the necessary intellectual OR personality traits to wake up from a cult. I know some people who are technically gifted, but they won’t wake up because they have been turned into sheep who can’t use their critical thinking ability.

Also, I have a certain stubborn, rebellious streak that gets all riled up when I’m confronted with something I consider unjust, like the subordination of women. Some people don’t have this. I tried reaching out to a cousin who was recently disfellowshipped and is being shunned, but she won’t talk to me because she thinks she deserves such deplorable and inhumane treatment. Maybe being indoctrinated for decades and since childhood has taken the fight out of her.

Further, people who are decidedly not intellectual, for whatever reason, still matter.

Would you say this is a type of "battered wife syndrome"?

It took me years to overcome my ritual abuse experience through electronic harassment.
Some aren't so lucky, no.
But I am one of the more intellectual and stubborn skunks you could ever find. :mrgreen:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 7:46 am

Pepe wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Not everyone has the necessary intellectual OR personality traits to wake up from a cult. I know some people who are technically gifted, but they won’t wake up because they have been turned into sheep who can’t use their critical thinking ability.

Also, I have a certain stubborn, rebellious streak that gets all riled up when I’m confronted with something I consider unjust, like the subordination of women. Some people don’t have this. I tried reaching out to a cousin who was recently disfellowshipped and is being shunned, but she won’t talk to me because she thinks she deserves such deplorable and inhumane treatment. Maybe being indoctrinated for decades and since childhood has taken the fight out of her.

Further, people who are decidedly not intellectual, for whatever reason, still matter.

Would you say this is a type of "battered wife syndrome"?

There are certainly parallels between being in a cult and being in an abusive relationship. Both situations are intrinsically about control.

Gaslighting is quite common in both scenarios, making a person doubt their own perceptions and even experience, which can make leaving all the more challenging.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 7:52 am

There’s almost always some “daddy” figure in cults.

Who are both charismatic and abusive.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 7:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sensed that you felt that Jews are more inclined than others to be exclusionist and to really dislike those who marry those who are not Jewish, who are “goy.” This sort of thing is only found within the ultra-Orthodox these days.

Otherwise, like you said, this is found to some degree in most ethnic groups…..but Jews aren’t exceptional in this regard.

There was a very strong tradition of "traditions" in the Jewish culture for thousands of years.
No pork, circumcision, not working on the sabbath, and women separated from men in the synagogue, to name a few.
And there were restrictions on who could and couldn't enter the Jewish community as a fully-fledged Jew, throughout history.
The obvious intention was to maintain Jewish culture and also involved genetic conservation, at its roots.
And there are still some Jews who practise these traditions, as there are some Christians who are fundamentalists.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Perhaps there was a misunderstanding 8)

You were contradicting what I was saying about Jews as far as “marrying their own kind” was concerned.

Where did I suggest all Jews prefered to marry "their own kind"?
I would like to see what made you think that.
Perhaps I needed qualifiers in my statement, also, but I doubt it if one considers the context.

kraftiekortie wrote:
In truth, most Jews don’t really care all that much these days whether someone marries a “goy.” Most Jews are probably more secular than most Christians and Muslims.
[/quote]

My understanding is that there are more secular Jews in Israel than religious, let alone orthodox.
I have even heard suggested that many secular Jews consider orthodox Jews a burden on Jews society in regards to defending the country.
As you can see, there is no binarism in my thinking, here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:00 am

What you said was absolutely true until a couple of generations ago. Jews wanted to maintain their traditions and all that. That has changed to a massive extent.

There’s nothing wrong with “maintaining traditions”—unless you exhibit prejudice against the traditions of others, especially those which do no harm to others.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:02 am

People are taught to be afraid of looking at contradictory information because they are claimed to be lies from Satan. This is frequently the case with Christian cults.

It’s really hard to question when you’ve been indoctrinated with this fear.

If you aren’t happy with specific teachings, you are the problem - you are deemed “spiritually weak” or “are under Satan’s influence,” not the specific teaching which is “perfect” because it was supposedly put in place by God. If you question it, you are questioning God, and that won’t end well. There’s threats - both stated and implied when it comes to using one’s reason.

There’s so much more, and it’s so complex that it’s a bit naive to imply that one can just snap out of it. Sure, I woke up, but not after going through years of pain and turmoil first. Also, some of these groups are way more extreme than mine was. Members are taught to actively fear outsiders to a greater extent.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:11 am

That’s cults—in a nutshell….

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:25 am

Pepe: you were contradicting me at every turn.

You kept on saying that what I said wasn’t “rational” and based on some sort of distorted thinking, that I was “contradicting myself.”

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 15 May 2022, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:30 am

Pepe wrote:
"100 hundred years of national humiliation."

The rise of Adolph Hilter was on "the back" of national humiliation as the result of the Versailles Treaty.
Hitler used this to his advantage to create a white supremacy mindset in many people.
Psychology 101.

I am not suggesting Chinese people are racist, obviously, but *a* cure for "humiliation", in this case, is national pride, imo.
Psychology 101.

Regarding talking about it with me, I wanted to discuss the issue in a public forum.

Which other countries do you think are in the same cultural mindset as China?

China has been saying this since the founding of the People's Republic of China. And as far as I know, this is much more diluted than before the reform and opening up.
And several anti-Qing forces before the PRC also said the same. Isn't one of them a self-proclaimed nationalist?

What country wouldn't teach history like this after suffering from this? :scratch:
Some of the victims at the time were even alive.
Do you compare the modern history of China to the Treaty of Versailles signed by Germany?

You may have never heard of how China is described in Vietnamese history education.

What does this have to do with Xi?

As far as I know, all countries in East/Southeast Asia with a colonized history have White Fever. I thought this was already mentioned frequently in other discussions of WP?
And the shame of East Asia is not the subject of this thread.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 15 May 2022, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:35 am

Yep, this is WP.

There are very few replies in this thread that are about the actual topic - the Quiverfull movement.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 15 May 2022, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:38 am

They are exclusionist—but they make copious use of the “outside world,” too.

Other sects don’t make as much use of the “outside world.”

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
They are exclusionist—but they make copious use of the “outside world,” too.

Other sects don’t make as much use of the “outside world.”

They actually try to infiltrate politics so they can further their goal: having a white, fundamentalist Christian America.

Despite this interest in politics, they still shelter women and children as much as possible from outside influences, usually opting to homeschool, and often limit their access to TV and entertainment, so it’s an interesting and unusual dichotomy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:43 am

Yep. They are exclusionist.

Indeed, I would find the dichotomy most confusing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep. They are exclusionist.

Indeed, I would find the dichotomy most confusing.

I’m fascinated by it because my cult was against getting involved in politics in their desire to be “no part of the world.”

With all the bad publicity Quiverfullers have had in recent years, I don’t see them as much of a political threat. Less extreme evangelical Christians on the other hand…

I am, however, concerned about their pervasive issues with child abuse.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:55 am

Child abuse is always a concern. I wasn’t physically abused much…..but I was a little.

Kids who are in a cycle of abuse feel like they’re in a dungeon.

So do people in cults who cannot see a way out.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 7:40 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
People are taught to be afraid of looking at contradictory information because they are claimed to be lies from DeSatan. This is frequently the case with Christian cults.

It’s really hard to question when you’ve been indoctrinated with this fear.

If you aren’t happy with specific teachings, you are the problem - you are deemed “spiritually weak” or “are under DeSatan’s influence,” not the specific teaching which is “perfect” because it was supposedly put in place by God. If you question it, you are questioning God, and that won’t end well. There’s threats - both stated and implied when it comes to using one’s reason.

There’s so much more, and it’s so complex that it’s a bit naive to imply that one can just snap out of it. Sure, I woke up, but not after going through years of pain and turmoil first. Also, some of these groups are way more extreme than mine was. Members are taught to actively fear outsiders to a greater extent.

Fixed for you. 8)
I am assuming you understand my reference.
If not, tell me and I will explain.

There is a strong point to what I have posted, as in most of my posts.
If you wish to hear it explicitly, please asked "and I will deliver". 8)