People think this is normal where I live

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 10:16 am

My dad roughed me up when I stepped out of line. He didn’t do it often but sometimes pretty bad. He never beat me up but threw me down really hard and I could of broke something. I can’t remember if I was having mental issues or not. It seems like he was being an as*hole first and my parents may have driven me nuts. But the mental health system didn’t care much if my parents are like that and the cops were just mad at me because they drove me crazy and I started causing trouble at home. I guess I never told them the whole story. I don’t really wish to have my idiot parents punished but I wish someone would just talk some sense into them. I’m not well physically at all and very weak these days. I’m scared of my parents because I always have to pretend to be okay around them. Or else. What can I do about this? I’m poor and sick. The lady who was supposed to get me a live in support worker or put me in a group isn’t much help. But that’s a different story.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 10:20 am

So you've tried sticking up for yourself and it doesn't work.?

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 10:54 am

Doesn’t seem to. Everyone takes mom’s side because she’s nice in public. But a total b***h at home. She does nothing but b***h and yell at me. She’s well liked at work. But all her frustrations will get taken out on me. I don’t even bother talking to her on the phone. All I ever get is an ear full. And she always shot down any life plans I had to make me happy and one time bitched at me to go crawling back to my McDonald’s job. When she was done driving me crazy I’d yell and dad would grab hold of me and do something. It could have made me develop mental issues because the only way I knew how to cope with it was detach from reality and watch tv growing up. It wasn’t a good plan.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 12:28 pm

Actually they weren’t that bad before I detached but it was still rough at home and that’s how I coped. It was a stupid way to cope. I guess it screwed up my life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 12:31 pm

Yeah. I do know what you mean.

My mother was a biitch in a similar way when I was growing up.

I hope you can get the support worker or group home placement soon.

You don't need to have to walk on eggshells around people.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 12:43 pm

Quote:
she’s nice in public. But a total b***h at home

Oh that's that narcissistic personality disorder thing that I mention a lot on these forums...in a nutshell.

Basically all the people who write about it say there's nothing to be done and the only solution is not to engage with them at all. Your childhood sounded really bad and your reaction was pretty normal.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 2:19 pm

Sometimes I think maybe it was me that was the problem. I was troubled they just couldn’t comprehend that. It was a terrible idea to give up while living there. They probably wouldn’t of been so bad if I had tried and developed into a normal teenager and adult. I still would of liked to get away from them as soon as I could though and then not talk to them hardly at all as an adult. I have a feeling some of this is my fault. It’s just once mom started going through menopause it’s been nothing but her yammering at me. So I only talk to her on messenger now but not much.

Last edited by Sarahsmith on 11 May 2022, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 2:22 pm

It probably is my fault that I gave up and watched too much TV and became depressed and then crazy. But still I can’t deal with my parents anymore. It’s not right to force someone to be happy. To guilt and ridicule them for not being okay. They’re really bad for that.