Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 1:31 pm

Russia threatens to retaliate over membership move

Quote:
Russia has said it will be forced to take "retaliatory steps" over its neighbour Finland's move to join Nato.
A foreign ministry statement said the move would seriously damage bilateral relations, as well as security and stability in northern Europe.

Earlier, Finland's president and PM called for the country to apply for Nato membership "without delay".

Finland shares a 1,300-km (810-mile) border with Russia. Until now, it has stayed out of Nato to avoid antagonising its eastern neighbour.

Finland will formally announce its decision on Sunday after it has been considered by parliament and other senior political figures.

Sweden has said it will announce a similar decision on the same day.

Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has said he expects the process of giving Sweden and Finland membership to happen "quite quickly".

The Russian statement (in Russian) described Finland's move as "a radical change in the country's foreign policy".
"Finland's accession to Nato will cause serious damage to bilateral Russian-Finnish relations and the maintaining of stability and security in the Northern European region," it said.

"Russia will be forced to take retaliatory steps, both of a military-technical and other nature, in order to neutralise the threats to its national security that arise from this."

However, Moscow has not specified what steps it plans to take.

"Everything will depend on how this expansion process plays out, the extent to which military infrastructure moves closer to our borders," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov earlier told reporters

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 1:57 pm

Remember kids: the best way to get your neighbors to join a defensive alliance is to invade or threaten your neighbors for considering joining that defensive alliance.
Why would anyone want to join a defensive pact when their superpower neighbor shows a consistent willingness to invade its neighbors?

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 12:41 pm

Looks like Turkey is going to veto their membership! Putin must be rolling in the aisles laughing his head off. Any way to kick Turkey out of Nato?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 1:20 pm

Sweden is the only country worth emulating.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 5:26 pm

The only person Putin has to blame for this is the guy he sees in the mirror.