Validity of current intelligence tests for Autistic kids

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

picklejah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2008, 8:01 pm

Well, before the school would "accept" the diagnosis of Asperger's for my son, we had my son go to a Behavior Psychologist for approx 6 months (it has now been a year), and also a full evaluation completed by a NeuroPsychologist. With a firm diagnosis from both, it was FINALLY accepted. But it was a struggle for FOUR years. We also hired an educational advocate who knows all of your state laws as well as the federal laws. He helped us get the services that we need.

SOCIAL PRAGMATICS is what needs to be pushed. If you can prove that your child cannot apply emotion to language and carry out the social rules in his day-to-day life, this can help immensely.

Check with your state laws to find out what is required for students on the autistic spectrum. Some states have a different clause for Asperger's.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:13 pm

It sounds like your particular school. Six months was the arbitrary number they picked and had nothing to do with state or federal law. Lovely that some parents and children have to go through this.

It is much better to have your children assessed outside the school setting and given the label than have the school provide that label. They are more hesitant to give that label because it really isn't their area of expertise. There are a few who do have that area of expertise but very few.

Last edited by natesmom on 20 Sep 2008, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:14 pm

good article.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 9:03 pm

Magique wrote:
Not only do these tests rely on language, they rely on a child having the ability to cooperate with an unfamiliar adult in an unfamiliar place with an unfamiliar and possibly boring task. Kayli scored in the average range in the tests she would do at all--it took some creative effort on the part of the tester to get that far.

I took these kinds of test and every time I quit before I was half way through because it was so boring.