Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 5:21 pm

FrankStein wrote:
Are there any history majors here??? Afghanistan has a long history. Alexander the Great failed to conquer and rule it. Genghis Khan also failed. Among more recent efforts, the Brits failed and the Russians failed. If ever there was a project doomed from the start, it was that. They just continue to provide a major portion of heroin, etc. to the world and nothing will change if a new guys from another country, wearing funny clothes, shows up to be ruler. Any serious student who had World History 1A in college could have told you that.

Afghans are somewhat similar to other isolated mountain kingdoms. Kurds, Bhutanese, Georgians, Tibetans and Swiss, All tend to be fiercely independent and have resist getting absorbed into nearby empires.

The Afghans are particularly resistant to outside influence.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 5:50 pm

FrankStein wrote:
Are there any history majors here??? Afghanistan has a long history. Alexander the Great failed to conquer and rule it. Genghis Khan also failed. Among more recent efforts, the Brits failed and the Russians failed. If ever there was a project doomed from the start, it was that. They just continue to provide a major portion of heroin, etc. to the world and nothing will change if a new guys from another country, wearing funny clothes, shows up to be ruler. Any serious student who had World History 1A in college could have told you that.

Yeah weve all heard the "graveyard of empires" nickname for the place. And yeah. Exactly. What was Biden supposed to do? Continue with the failed enterprise? Or scrub the mission and beat a retreat that could only have been messy no matter how it was conducted?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Poor kids, even though covid slowed down they can't even get a date night. I mean I figure most of them just go back home when presented with the stupid idea they cannot dine as a couple. But still that is messed up.
The blue states' lockdowns in 2020 definitely gave Taliban a run for its money, with the "social distancing" crap Democrats pushed onto the American people. At least Taliban let restaurants stay open; Democrats did not.

That said, Biden screwed the pooch by pulling out of Afghanistan too quickly. He threw the Afghan people under the bus.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
Whatever the answer, occupation by foreign imperialist troops obviously is not it.

Leave them alone -- Protect our own.[/color]

Agreed.
Bush baby shouldn't have gone into Iraq.
His father was too smart for that.
That mistake was the direct cause of the ISIS atrocity, and Amuuria has to take responsibility for that also.

However, :mrgreen:
The fact still remains, that the Biden driven rout has caused the problem in Afghanistan, and given an estimated 85 billion worth of military ordinance to the new regime.
I grand humiliation on Amuurian prestige that some people say emboldened both Russian and China.
This is part of history that cannot be erased.

However, :mrgreen:
The same end result would have happened if Trump was still president, in all probability.
Well, the destruction of Afghanistan's living conditions, I mean.

And now consider:
The CCP has made inroads into Afghanistan also.

A total F-up, by any measure. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Anybody else think that the Americans giving up in Afghanistan and Russia invading Ukraine a few months later is not a coincidence?

That was implied in some news stories I read and heard a couple of months ago. Putin and Xi had a summit soon after we pulled out, and they renewed their friendship vows, AND made a joint statement to "back up each other's territorial claims".

The two saw western resolve falter, so in response it looked like they had agreed that "if I back you up in taking Ukraine, I will back you up taking Taiwan".

That is my *belief*, also. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:59 pm

magz wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Anybody else think that the Americans giving up in Afghanistan and Russia invading Ukraine a few months later is not a coincidence?
My thoughts go this way - that American intelligence expected it would get hot in Europe, so they got rid of a potential inflammatory point that could engage their army well beyond "token forces" in the new situation.
It's possible Russians had plans for arming the Taliban and sending them out before attacking Ukraine - just like they started making trouble on Belarussian-Lithuanian and Belarussian-Polish border.
If Americans withdrew now, it would likely be even more disastrous.

Personally, I think Trump is more simplistic than you have suggested.
Trump focused on the economy and the expense of Amuuria being the global police force.
He harangued NATO for leaving the financial heavy lifting to Amuuria. (I agreed with him on this point. Please don't hate me. 8O )
He was heading to a more isolationist policy, but I am not convince that he intended to leave the NATO alliance.

My *belief* is that Trump was more concerned about China, than Russia.
After all, he wanted to "Make Amuuria Great Again" to combat China's growing influence.
Many, if not most of his policies, targeted China's aggressive economic, I.P., and military growth.

Personally, I think you give Trump too much credit. :wink:

I think we will have to "Agree to Disagree" on these points. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 9:03 pm

FrankStein wrote:

But... :mrgreen:

Amuria did mitigate the heroin trade and the export of terrorism for 20 years.
I do consider that a major achievement.
Well done Amuria, and its allies. :thumright:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 May 2022, 2:06 am

Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
My thoughts go this way - that American intelligence expected it would get hot in Europe, so they got rid of a potential inflammatory point that could engage their army well beyond "token forces" in the new situation.
It's possible Russians had plans for arming the Taliban and sending them out before attacking Ukraine - just like they started making trouble on Belarussian-Lithuanian and Belarussian-Polish border.

Trump focused on the economy and the expense of Amuuria being the global police force.
He harangued NATO for leaving the financial heavy lifting to Amuuria. (I agreed with him on this point. Please don't hate me. 8O )
He was heading to a more isolationist policy, but I am not convince that he intended to leave the NATO alliance.

After all, he wanted to "Make Amuuria Great Again" to combat China's growing influence.
Many, if not most of his policies, targeted China's aggressive economic, I.P., and military growth.

Trump talked about withdrawal from everywhere but Biden carried out only withdrawal from Afghanistan, even despite it going way worse than expected.
I don't care for what Trump said, I pay attention to what Biden did.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 4:32 am

magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Trump talked about withdrawal from everywhere but Biden carried out only withdrawal from Afghanistan, even despite it going way worse than expected.
I don't care for what Trump said, I pay attention to what Biden did.

Well, then.
The prize goes to Uncle Joe for what happened in Afghanistan. :star:

Did Biden do anything/k positive in the middle east, btw?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 May 2022, 4:37 am

Did any American president do anything positive in the Middle East?
Americans screw up things there with surprising regularity.

Technically not Middle East but Biden is returning American troops to Somalia (Trump removed them).
Think it will be another disaster?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 6:01 am

magz wrote:
Did any American president do anything positive in the Middle East?
Americans screw up things there with surprising regularity.

Technically not Middle East but Biden is returning American troops to Somalia (Trump removed them).
Think it will be another disaster?

Agreed.
Often, Amuurians went where there was a profit to be made. 8)