Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 11:39 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
I don't actually understand that this question needs to be discussed.
"Extreme" and not always "hotter," at least on the platforms I use, was common sense and discussion premise five years ago.

It's a difficult to just put aside decades of constantly hearing "global warming, it's getting hotter". You naturally don't understand because you did not experience it the way I and Pepe did.

It made me realize how small an age gap exists in the environment I am familiar with.
Because in my country not many people your age have been educated. And most retain a considerable degree of extreme conservative ideology and superstition. That is, for me, aside from everyday life, there is virtually no room for discussion with them.

I have no idea what's been said about climate change in China. However in the west we were told that the earth is getting hotter for a very long time. That was the crisis. Then all of a sudden that got dropped and replaced with extreme weather.

So the cycle of what the public in the west heard going back 50 years is:

It's getting colder, another ice age is on the way.
It's getting hotter and the heat is going to kill off most of the ecosystem.
It's neither of those, now it's any kind of unusual weather pattern.

Oh, it is still getting hotter, slowly.
It is just that the catastrophists had to change their terminology to suit the contradictions they encountered.
This is why I don't bother providing "evidence" any longer. "They" simply move the goalposts. :roll:

Some people are so focused on their narrative that they will torture the Truth into whatever shape they want.
I'm over it. :roll: :mrgreen:

BTW, I *do* believe in the earth becoming hotter.
I am simply not going to have kittens over it. :cat: :cat: :cat: :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 11:41 pm

This is my thread, right?
Does that mean I can make it a mod-free zone? :scratch: :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 11:44 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
All the same cooler weather and global warming don't seem to go together.
Well, yeah - it's too easy to experience "locally cold" and feel it jars with the "global warming" aspect.

I think one of the reasons the phenomenon is now called "climate change" is to steer the conversation away from "it's getting warmer" to "it's getting unpredictable in new extremes", a more accurate description and one modified to reflect ongoing observations.

Quote:
I'm not saying that proves anything one way or another. Just that from the average person's experience it's hard to gage what's what.
Follow the science is the only suggestion I have.

Understandable. Still we had "it's getting warmer" pounded into our heads as evidence for a really long time. I'm not sure how easy it is for the average person to follow the actual science involved.

"Extreme" and not always "hotter," at least on the platforms I use, was common sense and discussion premise five years ago.

It's a difficult to just put aside decades of constantly hearing "global warming, it's getting hotter". You naturally don't understand because you did not experience it the way I and Pepe did.

Indeed. 8)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 May 2022, 4:36 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:

We learn over time from better models and discoveries.
It's also much more than "any kind of unusual weather pattern".

Pepe wrote:
This is my thread, right?
Does that mean I can make it a mod-free zone? :scratch: :mrgreen:
No.

Pepe wrote:
It is just that the catastrophists had to change their terminology to suit the contradictions they encountered.
This is why I don't bother providing "evidence" any longer. "They" simply move the goalposts. :roll:
Such a silly criticism. You do your credibility no favors.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 4:43 am

Cornflake wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I'm just pointing out why I think skepticism exists. Especially among older folks.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 5:23 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I'm just pointing out why I think skepticism exists. Especially among older folks.

Don't be skeptical. *Believe* that in 5 years' time, billions will die. :skull: :mrgreen:

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 5:31 am

Pepe wrote:

The perception of "autism" or many other disorders has changed dramatically over the years.
But that doesn't deduce that mental disorders are conspiracy inventions by pharmaceutical companies.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 5:36 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:

The perception of "autism" or many other disorders has changed dramatically over the years.
But that doesn't deduce that mental disorders are conspiracy inventions by pharmaceutical companies.

So many predictions that didn't come true, but the left ignores that. lol

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 5:37 am

Pepe wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Don't be skeptical. *Believe* that in 5 years' time, billions will die. :skull: :mrgreen:

Slippery slope

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 May 2022, 5:40 am

Pepe wrote:
Not ignored, Pepe - used to help improve modelling and predictions. It's how science works.
And again with "the left" generalisations. I thought you were non-partisan?

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

18 May 2022, 6:17 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

It made me realize how small an age gap exists in the environment I am familiar with.
Because in my country not many people your age have been educated. And most retain a considerable degree of extreme conservative ideology and superstition. That is, for me, aside from everyday life, there is virtually no room for discussion with them.

I have no idea what's been said about climate change in China. However in the west we were told that the earth is getting hotter for a very long time. That was the crisis. Then all of a sudden that got dropped and replaced with extreme weather.

One thing is true, we won't know until it's too late.

On the other hand we keep farting methane and other toxic wastes. And we can't stop. lol So we get nature pollution and fish extinction and covid or wild virus outbreaks. We get ozone thinning. We get deforesting but plastic based PCOS. And then we expect the Earth to be the same old stable. :pale: Phew!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/super-potent-methane-in-atmosphere-oil-gas-drilling-ice-cores

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

22 May 2022, 2:03 am

Cornflake wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Not ignored, Pepe - used to help improve modelling and predictions. It's how science works.

We can complain about science all we want, but thats what makes science better than creativity. We have some gathered facts and science seeks to falsify its own predicitions. Thats how we know the method does its job. We should be glad it comes out wrong sometimes because otherwise we would never know the truth or learn.

What are we to rely on? ancient predictions by lunatics? Feeling the weather, measuring globally. Yes scientists make mistakes, and science itself cannot predict the future, and humans draw conclusions.

But why dont you draw the conclusion from the facts that you dont know about the future changes for sure, only a percentage of being sure about it? You're free to. You don't have to believe the conclusions of the analysts. They can make mistakes.

That's what science is. Unsure about the future, but more accurate than lunatic or unknowledgeable predicitons in the majority of cases. And we can be guided towards what conclusions to draw by intepretes but these will always change and they will learn more. Just like we found out about dinosaurs. People didnt know they existed. But they found out it's true. Its better than dreaming up unicorns and assuming it's true because there are bones. And I think there's nothing wrong with being wrong and learning, even if it's frustrating and seems to be unstable, it is based on some facts, on real palpable bones and for the mammoth for example even dna.

It's not perfect and it's still limited, and we can complain about our best scientists as being lame, but that's how it is. Science, despite being the best, is lame in its ways. And I think we have the illusion we are advancing, and we can do everything, but it's the same in some ways. And I think these are the downsides which won't get better. It's the laws of the universe, we can't warp them until we get out of the universe, and if we get out we might cease to exist.

We have to accept our predictions are crap. And we'll get sad, and we'll panic, and we'll be afraid, then we'll get happy, then we'll breathe easy, then we'll get scared again. Maybe keeping more skeptical about the certainty and panicking is not the best though.

Last edited by Rexi on 22 May 2022, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 2:11 am

Cornflake wrote:

You mean he has credibility? :lol:

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 2:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

You mean he has credibility? :lol:

He always has a point. He isn't crazy.

Last edited by Rexi on 22 May 2022, 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 2:13 am

Rexi wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Pepe wrote:

We can complain about science all we want, but thats what makes science better than creativity. We have some gathered facts and science seeks to falsify its own predicitions. Thats how we know the method does its job. We should be glad it comes out wrong sometimes because otherwise we would never know the truth or learn.

What are we to rely on? ancient predictions by lunatics? Feeling the weather, measuring globally. Yes scientists make mistakes, and science itself cannot predict the future, and humans draw conclusions.

But why dont you draw the conclusion from the facts that you dont know about the future changes for sure, only a percentage of being sure about it? You're free to. You don't have to believe the conclusions of the analysts. They can make mistakes.

That's what science is. Unsure about the future, but more accurate than lunatic or unknowledgeable predicitons in the majority of cases. And we can be guided towards what conclusions to draw by intepretes but these will always change and they will learn more. Just like we found out about dinosaurs. People didnt know they existed. But they found out it's true. Its better than dreaming up unicorns and assuming it's true because there are bones. And I think there's nothing wrong with being wrong and learning, even if it's frustrating and seems to be unstable, it is based on some facts, on real palpable bones and for the mammoth for example even dna.

It's not perfect and it's still limited, and we can complain about our best scientists as being lame, but that's how it is. Science, despite being the best, is lame in its ways. And I think we have the illusion we are advancing, and we can do everything, but it's the same in some ways. And I think these are the downsides which won't get better. It's the laws of the universe, we can't warp them until we get out of the universe, and if we get out we might cease to exist.

We have to accept our predictions are crap. And we'll get sad, and we'll panic, and we'll be afraid, then we'll get happy, then we'll breathe easy, then we'll get scared again.

99.9% of people who attack "science" are as credible as Krusty the Clown in Simpsons.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 3:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
Rexi wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Pepe wrote:

We have to accept our predictions are crap. And we'll get sad, and we'll panic, and we'll be afraid, then we'll get happy, then we'll breathe easy, then we'll get scared again.

99.9% of people who attack "science" are as credible as Krusty the Clown in Simpsons.

Some, particularly two important fallacies I can discuss with you. I'll simplify.
For one, the majority doesn't make the minority any less. And this could also be jumping to conclusions.
For two, criticizing science details doesn't make anyone wrong.
For 3, people are emotionally reactive in the Forums is what I noticed, including myself, they take anything personally and cant see the true points. Not everything is the same, not everything is unsensical, not everything is bad. We are tempted by black and white thinking. We can open our minds and not get personal with a great deal of effort and respect and love towards each other. Which we usually can't have. You might not be autistic but you are the same.
Well, 4, some things talked about are extreme beliefs, but they are still allowed.
5, not everyone needs to agree or understand anything. Or comment.

You might be a man, but you and I have a history. We should strive to not be debating anything you disagree with in the future. Yes? I have not forgotten or forgiven you yet. Plus, I disapprove of how you choose to deal with an important aspect in your life. This makes me not want to see you or interact with you, and makes me emotional in debates with you. I have a personal thing with you. I also don't like it when people attack others like you did towards the skunk as well as have not accurate basis for their arguments. Though I usually have to get over that because everyone or a lot of people do it.

The only way I can move on and forgive you is if we keep our distance and respect each other's space for like, several months. Or maybe if we engage in positive interactions, but I'm not sure if we can. Maybe a year. Maybe it helps you too in your relationship with me. I don't know what I want yet, but I sure don't want enemies. I don't think anyone does. (well, thats gullible of me, I know some exceptions, and theyre essentially not bad people) I know that I can love you, because we're just human. But I'm not sure if I personally should.

I also disapprove of the way you sometimes talk about your autistic daughter so I'm not sure if you're really for autistics or fully understand their quirks and differences or in what way you judge them. So that leaves a bad taste when you do that. Maybe you're just ranting but it seems too superficial, the things that should actually bother you. Your life can be that easy so you have nothing worse to worry or complain about? Everyone's required to be pleasing you at home or something and when they don't do what you think women should you think it's bad. You also have some more edgy beliefs against the young population. So you are allowed to speak all these things in the Forums. You are allowed to joke about me too in threads that are about me. But thankfully I am allowed to decide if I like them as a whole. If the good is worth the bad. Out of all the things you dislike, I'm a woman, I'm weird, I'm older than you sometimes, I'm younger than you physically but not necessarily experience-wise, and I like to think about myself against your beliefs. Should I frustrate you eternally, is that why I was brought in the world? I think my purpose might be higher, but in my spare time, I might not mind it too much. Perhaps you frustrate me more than we realize. Perhaps, like the skunk, you are misunderstood. Maybe you have a very dark humor, and when you debate you don't seriously debate. Although the difference between short replies and serious ones, is more obvious for the skunk.

Last edited by Rexi on 22 May 2022, 3:50 am, edited 4 times in total.