cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 7:26 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
China barks, we Australians jump like trained monkeys in a circus

What absolute nonsense.
Australia has refused to be bullied by the CCP and that is why the CCP has threatened us with missile attacks.
Australia is spending around $1,000,000,000 on defence over time because we aren't the CCP's "monkey".

"Curious" post of yours. 8O

We do cartwheels and perform like monkeys. Meanwhile China happily sets up a military base on the Solomon Islands. China is super critical to our economy. Maybe not to the extent of the US or UK or Japan but its certainly up there.

It would seem we are toothless tigers to them.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 12:26 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

What absolute nonsense.
Australia has refused to be bullied by the CCP and that is why the CCP has threatened us with missile attacks.
Australia is spending around $1,000,000,000 on defence over time because we aren't the CCP's "monkey".

I left out "000".
It was meant to be one Trillion Australian dollars, over 10 years, from memory.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 12:29 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
But you haven't considered the possible pressure the CCP might put on the families in China of those working in Australia.

Fallacies of Inappropriate Presumption: question begging

Let us agree to disagree. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 12:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

What absolute nonsense.

We do cartwheels and perform like monkeys. Meanwhile China happily sets up a military base on the Solomon Islands. China is super critical to our economy. Maybe not to the extent of the US or UK or Japan but its certainly up there.

"In what universe?"

Firstly, yes, Australia would be economically skrewed if China stop buying our iron ore, in the short term at least, if Australia can't find another market.
Thankfully, the CCP needs our iron ore, atm.

Secondly, the reason why the CCP is treating Australia so badly is that we don't behave like trained monkeys and perform when told to. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 5:05 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

What absolute nonsense.

"In what universe?"

Firstly, yes, Australia would be economically skrewed if China stop buying our iron ore, in the short term at least, if Australia can't find another market.

Secondly, the reason why the CCP is treating Australia so badly is that we don't behave like trained monkeys and perform when told to. 8)

We need a better negotiator than Morrison.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 2:06 am

Pepe wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
But you haven't considered the possible pressure the CCP might put on the families in China of those working in Australia.

Fallacies of Inappropriate Presumption: question begging

Let us agree to disagree. 8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Chinese_sentiment_in_the_United_States
When the white community started discriminating against Chinese people, there was not even a concept of "CCP".
Part of it was because China was a colony of many white countries at the time.

And because of the communist ideology and the need to maintain globalization, the CCP is even more moderate on this issue than the previous forces.
So much so that in some ways they act like China has returned to colonial times, which has in turn triggered Chinese slam on the government.

Racial discrimination against East Asians has still not received the same attention as racial discrimination against blacks.
Another invader, Japan, glorified their history of aggression in their textbooks.
A large number of our cultural relics are still scattered in Western countries.
Reverse racism is still rampant in our culture.

Meanwhile you in other threads disapprove of us teaching our own history.
Like, because the "CCP" is a "devil", "you" have to follow "our" values and give up your original?
This is the view of the "Chinese", not the "CCP".
You are accustomed to using the "CCP" narrative to nullify Chinese views you don't like. Or the propaganda you are exposed to encourages you to do so.

Covering up an atrocity is just a second atrocity when the problem has been never remedied.

You seem to be implying the same logic as "when Japan and America were at war, it was justified to oppress Japanese Americans".

And we haven't even agreed on who broke the friendly relationship between China and Australia first.

No one can have it all in knowledge/information. Ask about the validity of an opinion is very normal and acceptable.
But, please don't throw opinions as an insider until you have more comprehensive information.
Otherwise you will inevitably step on a lot of toes when it comes to the parties involved.

Simply chalking up an idea you don't like/understand to some kind of psychology/brainwashing is intellectual laziness.
This applies to many places.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 4:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

What absolute nonsense.

There is a world of difference between being a toothless tiger and a trained monkey.

Meow. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 4:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

What absolute nonsense.

"In what universe?"

We need a better negotiator than Morrison.

Agreed. 8)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

17 May 2022, 5:18 am

Pepe wrote:
Look at the climate change debate.
We get the absurdity of cooler weather being signs of global warming.
You just can't win.
People will simply create "facts" to support their arguments, and ignore pertinant evidence to the contrary.
Yes - like the misinformation that weather = climate, for example.

Studying the issue in any detail would bring an understanding of how cooler weather, or more accurately extremes of weather, are a direct manifestation of climate change - not an "absurdity".

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 7:20 am

Cornflake wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Look at the climate change debate.
We get the absurdity of cooler weather being signs of global warming.
You just can't win.
People will simply create "facts" to support their arguments, and ignore pertinant evidence to the contrary.
Yes - like the misinformation that weather = climate, for example.

Studying the issue in any detail would bring an understanding of how cooler weather, or more accurately extremes of weather, are a direct manifestation of climate change - not an "absurdity".

All the same cooler weather and global warming don't seem to go together.

I lived in a region known for cooler weather in the 1990s. And when I moved back in the 2010s, it was noticeably warmer and dryer. And there was an overall consensus among those I know, this was a clear sign of climate change aka global warming.

But I came to find out that the region was experiencing a weather phenomenon called El Nino. In the 2020s it's been very stereotypical weather for the region exactly the same as in the 1990s.

I'm not saying that proves anything one way or another. Just that from the average person's experience it's hard to gage what's what.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

17 May 2022, 7:54 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Well, yeah - it's too easy to experience "locally cold" and feel it jars with the "global warming" aspect.

I think one of the reasons the phenomenon is now called "climate change" is to steer the conversation away from "it's getting warmer" to "it's getting unpredictable in new extremes", a more accurate description and one modified to reflect ongoing observations.

Quote:
I'm not saying that proves anything one way or another. Just that from the average person's experience it's hard to gage what's what.
Follow the science is the only suggestion I have.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 8:05 am

Cornflake wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Well, yeah - it's too easy to experience "locally cold" and feel it jars with the "global warming" aspect.

I think one of the reasons the phenomenon is now called "climate change" is to steer the conversation away from "it's getting warmer" to "it's getting unpredictable in new extremes", a more accurate description and one modified to reflect ongoing observations.

Quote:

Understandable. Still we had "it's getting warmer" pounded into our heads as evidence for a really long time. I'm not sure how easy it is for the average person to follow the actual science involved.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 9:07 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Quote:

Understandable. Still we had "it's getting warmer" pounded into our heads as evidence for a really long time. I'm not sure how easy it is for the average person to follow the actual science involved.

I don't actually understand that this question needs to be discussed.
"Extreme" and not always "hotter," at least on the platforms I use, was common sense and discussion premise five years ago.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 11:11 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Quote:

"Extreme" and not always "hotter," at least on the platforms I use, was common sense and discussion premise five years ago.

It's a difficult to just put aside decades of constantly hearing "global warming, it's getting hotter". You naturally don't understand because you did not experience it the way I and Pepe did.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 11:43 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

It's a difficult to just put aside decades of constantly hearing "global warming, it's getting hotter". You naturally don't understand because you did not experience it the way I and Pepe did.

It made me realize how small an age gap exists in the environment I am familiar with.
Because in my country not many people your age have been educated. And most retain a considerable degree of extreme conservative ideology and superstition. That is, for me, aside from everyday life, there is virtually no room for discussion with them.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 11:24 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

It made me realize how small an age gap exists in the environment I am familiar with.
Because in my country not many people your age have been educated. And most retain a considerable degree of extreme conservative ideology and superstition. That is, for me, aside from everyday life, there is virtually no room for discussion with them.

I have no idea what's been said about climate change in China. However in the west we were told that the earth is getting hotter for a very long time. That was the crisis. Then all of a sudden that got dropped and replaced with extreme weather.

So the cycle of what the public in the west heard going back 50 years is:

It's getting colder, another ice age is on the way.
It's getting hotter and the heat is going to kill off most of the ecosystem.
It's neither of those, now it's any kind of unusual weather pattern.