When Young, Did You Get The Squeeky Voice Treatment?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 5:52 am

The treatment when some rather "Odd" women used to do to children when they talked to them? My Mum never did that to me so when female grown ups did it to me I was thinking "What is this silly lady doing?" and I did not know how to react so I would answer them in a very high pitched squeeky voice like they were doing to me but my parents would tell me off for being dissrespectful.... Yet "She' started it!" which I would be told off for pointing that out.

Takatomon
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 May 2022, 6:13 am

I was just talking to my mom about this. There are several people I know who are nice to me, but sometimes use that voice and it really bothers me.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 6:25 am

I'm not sure if I understand the question. Could you explain it further? I think I probably don't understand this "squeeky voice treatment".

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 7:44 am

temp1234 wrote:
I'm not sure if I understand the question. Could you explain it further? I think I probably don't understand this "squeeky voice treatment".

Is when you were young some adult women who were usually mothers of other kids you knew would bend down and put their faces next to yours and put on a high pitched squeeky voice and talk using very simple baby-like words which were inappropiate to ones age. Is talking as if one is a baby when one is at the level where one is learning algebra at school.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 2:37 pm

I've certainly had lots of people approach me with a condescending tone in their voice, but I don't think that one particularly came up a lot when I was younger? It's hard to remember.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 12:06 pm

I don't remember anyone talking to me that way because they thought I was "cute" as a kid.

I do remember other kids at school doing it just to harass me, squealing like pigs or dolphins, the girls' shrillness and boys' hormonal changes to their voice boxes making it even more like squeaky chalk, while I had visions of their bodies being fried to a crunchy crisp by sudden bolts of lightening.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 12:20 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
temp1234 wrote:

Is when you were young some adult women who were usually mothers of other kids you knew would bend down and put their faces next to yours and put on a high pitched squeeky voice and talk using very simple baby-like words which were inappropiate to ones age. Is talking as if one is a baby when one is at the level where one is learning algebra at school.

Baby voices never happened with me.

I've noticed this happens to autistic adults a lot but in a much less conspicuous way. The language used and tone of voice changes rather than the pitch. Addressing someone with "pet names" like sweetie and honey. Addressing someone like a teacher would address a child. Having a serious convo and they address you by your first name unexpectedly. Being impressed by very modest achievements as if they thought so low of your capabilities that they're genuinely impressed. "Wow, you can drive car?", "Yes, I've been driving since I was 17 years old and longer than you I believe".

You can literally scratch your forehead and it will impress some people if they know you're autistic.

Last edited by Nades on 17 May 2022, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 12:26 pm

I don't get baby talked, but I get talked to like I'm a kid and in a very simple way. I don't complain about it anymore though, because I'm a dumbass and apparently do understand people better when they talk to me like that. :?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 12:27 pm

I usually got that high-pitched singsong voice with the imperial "we" tacked on . . .

"Now Fnordie, we shouldn't try to make people feel bad by always using big words we don't understand, do we?"

"Indubitably, madam.  Indubitably."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 May 2022, 8:28 pm

I don't remember ever reeving this type of treatment. Instead I tended to have adults talk very angrily to me because I somehow inadvertently ticked them off due to me not understanding or not being able to follow their rules & directions, & other kids would lie on me to get me in trouble & my teachers & principles usually believed due to my bad rep & the other kids ganging up by lying together.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition