Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:05 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
No but it will transform

I dont know that book, or what its about.

But that IS a trend. Newer religions do seem to incorporate more and more elements of science fiction into their theology. Scientology, invented by Sci fi author L. Ron Hubbard, is the best known example. But the Mormons, the Bao Dai Sect of Vietnam ( a locally politically powerful religion founded at the turn of the 20th centurey that combines Catholicism with east asian religions), and the American Black Muslims (whose theology has little to do with real Islam)have scripture that involves "other planets". In fact that almost HAS to be the case if you start a new religion these days. The traditional world religions all evolved before Copernicus and Galileo when everyone thought the sky was a big dome over the flat earth, and there wasnt even a concept of "other planets", or "outer space". But today any cosmology has to deal with the cosmology of modern astronomy in which the earth is not the center of the Creator's creation.

It’s a shame religions aren’t started by romance novelists.

That would be more fun.

I was thinking fantasy as well, but it’s intrinsically fantasy, so…

As would erotica.

That would be much more fun than listening to an exceedingly boring sermon based on an account in the Old Testament.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:06 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

And that’s something I admire, but I’m trying to focus on Other Projects, like world domination and improving my piano playing.

Not sure if you've seen "Bruce Almighty" with Jim Carey but most of wouldn't know what to do if we had god-like power. In some ways it's like the penguins in "Madagascar" when they finally fulfill their life's goal and reach Antarctica they gazed upon the barren ice sheets then looked at each other and shrugged "Well....now what?"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:08 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
That would be much more fun than listening to an exceedingly boring sermon based on an account in the Old Testament.

it's possible some christians do have orgasms when listening to scripture.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But that IS a trend. Newer religions do seem to incorporate more and more elements of science fiction into their theology. Scientology, invented by Sci fi author L. Ron Hubbard, is the best known example. But the Mormons, the Bao Dai Sect of Vietnam ( a locally politically powerful religion founded at the turn of the 20th centurey that combines Catholicism with east asian religions), and the American Black Muslims (whose theology has little to do with real Islam)have scripture that involves "other planets". In fact that almost HAS to be the case if you start a new religion these days. The traditional world religions all evolved before Copernicus and Galileo when everyone thought the sky was a big dome over the flat earth, and there wasnt even a concept of "other planets", or "outer space". But today any cosmology has to deal with the cosmology of modern astronomy in which the earth is not the center of the Creator's creation.

I think you mean all religions incorporate myth, Christianity is based on mulitiple specific pagan beliefs
Mother mary - Goddess ISIS
Jesus returning from the dead - Osiris
Dec 25th - birth day of Ahura mazda a Persian/Roman diety

I'm not sure the latest iterations incorporating spaceman Jesus coming to earth is any different. Infact it makes more sense since jesus being an alien masquerading as a bearded jewish hippie is more believable than some of the crud in the old and new testament in the bible.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:13 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I’ve listened to thousands of scriptures being read and never even came close to orgasming, not when I was actively listening. Daydreaming while not listening on the other hand…

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:14 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I’ve listened to thousands of scriptures being read and never even came close to orgasming, not when I was actively listening. Daydreaming while not listening on the other hand…

You obviously haven't been to evangelical/gospel churches

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I was only ever to Jehovah’s Witness churches. It was so incredibly boring unless they were talking about something ridiculous like demons but spooky stories don’t exactly rev my fire.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:36 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I was only ever to Jehovah’s Witness churches. It was so incredibly boring unless they were talking about something ridiculous like demons but spooky stories don’t exactly rev my fire.

Oh fair enough. Nothing like attending church on a Sunday morning after staying up late the previous night. The effort in keeping one's eye's open during a sermon is herculean.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I think you mean all religions incorporate myth, Christianity is based on mulitiple specific pagan beliefs

I'm not sure the latest iterations incorporating spaceman Jesus coming to earth is any different. Infact it makes more sense since jesus being an alien masquerading as a bearded jewish hippie is more believable than some of the crud in the old and new testament in the bible.

I don't know about Ahura Mazda, but Mithras (another Sun god) was supposedly born on December 25; I've read a number of sources that cite that as the origin for the traditional modern Christmas Day.

If all the religions in the world claiming to be "the one, true religion" replete with inexorable truth proven by their sacred texts could actually see how much their predecessors have borrowed, bent, made up and misappropriated, they'd be truly lost in a literal crisis of faith!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:21 pm

KimD wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I don't know about Ahura Mazda, but Mithras (another Sun god) was supposedly born on December 25; I've read a number of sources that cite that as the origin for the traditional modern Christmas Day.

If all the religions in the world claiming to be "the one, true religion" replete with inexorable truth proven by their sacred texts could actually see how much their predecessors have borrowed, bent, made up and misappropriated, they'd be truly lost in a literal crisis of faith!

Interesting fact: Ahura Mazda is the namesake of the Mazda car company.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:42 pm

Mithras was the creator deity (god) and Ahura mazda was the messenger (Christ). Mithras is synonymous with the Vedic Indian Indra. Indra = Mithras =Zeus = jupiter = Odin/Thor

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:42 pm

KimD wrote:

True!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 11:54 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
No but it will transform

That would be more fun.

As would erotica.

Please note:
*I* didn't direct this discussion in that direction. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 11:56 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

How is it that others can talk like this but I can't? :scratch: :mrgreen:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 1:37 am

duplicate

Last edited by naturalplastic on 15 May 2022, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 1:46 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
No but it will transform

That would be more fun.

As would erotica.

xtc