Page 18 of 21 [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 6:07 am

magz wrote:
Maybe better post these articles, for what you posted before often appeared as if you didn't read much below the headlines. Everyone was freezing in February and there were occasional racist incidents in the fleeing crowds. I wonder if it would look any better (outside of the climate) if it was happening in Australia.

Just google it Magz - this took all of three seconds to find this article
https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... re-welcome
On Tuesday, just 100 metres from my hotel, dozens of Polish nationalists, dressed in black, targeted these groups of non-white refugees, chanting “go back to your country”. Three Indians were beaten up, leaving one of them having to be taken to hospital.
In Przemyśl, the Ukrainians are served hot drinks. At the Belarusian border, at least 19 migrants have died in the frigid forests.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 May 2022, 6:19 am

So, where's this "wolf-hunting"?
Yes, there were racist incidents. And in the violent cases, the police arrested the perperators and warned against propaganda that could result in more.
They kept the exodus extremely peaceful for what it was.

Belarussian border is a separate issue. A state plays human trafficker to stirr chaos and it results in tragedies. I'm very critical of what my government is doing there. Still, it's a problem of pushing people illegally through the border on mass scale - a result of incoherent EU immigration policy plus Lukashenka's ill will using it. Yes, Polish authorities should have damn let humanitarian organisations to the zone. It's a disgrace they don't.
But why don't the migrants' states of destination offer safe and legal alternatives, so human traffickers - including the state of Belarus - would lose their clients? I don't know. Probably hypocrisy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 2:02 am

Sorry the wolf-hunting was from the ABC "Foreign Correspondent program" Eric Campbell who was interviewing foreign refugees on the border of Ukraine and Poland. I don't have a link to the program because I watched it live as with the Vice correspondent documentaries. The Vice reporter was the very delectable Isobel Yueng who was in the Russian zone a few days before Putin invaded and managed to get.

Both Yueng and Campbell were quite brave in going into a war zone.

Cambpell also interviewed Nadezhda Tolokonnikova (lead singer of Pu**y riot) in Georgia when she expressed her desire to help Ukraine (she of course hates Putin) but her (real) fear of Ukrainian refugees wanting to kill her because she was such a high profile Russian,

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 9:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
QFT wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Aside from gas disputes, which is an economic and trade issue, not a military issue, Russian and Ukraine have little to do with each other.

They have historic and cultural ties.

The United States and the UK have historic and cultural ties, so can’t we just invade the UK?

Actually its more like the UK invading us...to restore the British Empire, and reverse the American revolution.

But that you mention it...I think that the Queen SHOULD invade us. And rescue us Americans from ... [ whatever poltical group you mostdislike]......the KKK, Black Lives Matter, QAnon, Antifa, Boogie Boys, whatever. Just like Putin is just ...selflessly invading Ukraine in order to rescue the Ukrainians from that handful of neo Nazis they have. And why he is kindly and selflessly bombing, and shelling, the crap out of the Ukrainians! :lol:

Actually queen saving the US from all its struggles is not as silly as it sounds. That is part of what drives nostalgy: "why not return to the good old past so that you won't deal with current problems". Except that it would be country-wide nostalgy.

In fact, nostalgy is one of the main things that makes native Russians want to go back to USSR. For certain age group (including mine) USSR is associated with happy childhood. I guess Ukrainians don't share this sentiment. But if they did, then "USSR=Happy childhood" for Russians and "USSR = nazi-free past" for Ukrainians would be right along the same nostalgic lines.

As a Russian who came to America, I wish I could go back to USSR. And I also wish Queen were to free USA from its problems. Both thoughts are somehow associated with problem-free past.

Except that a queen won't be a childhood any more it would be few centuries prior to it. But all the better: I haven't made any of my life's mistakes back at the time of the queen. So going back there feels like having all my problems solved. Just like going back to USSR would solve all my problems too.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2022, 12:25 am

But for us, USSR time is not happy childhood. It's poverty, lack of freedom, lies everywhere and persecution. It's traumatic childhood we want to overcome and leave behind, to build a happy life.
My Ukrainian friend still remembers horrors of Soviet army and Soviet prison where he got for making fun of a statue of Lenin. We hate that past.
And current Russia is anything but free of nazi, especially in the ways it acts.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 6:38 am

I'm an American living in a former Eastern bloc country. The people here do not share your feelings that the USSR was great. They don't want a return to communism or the oppression that came with it. They enjoy and appreciate the freedom they have gained.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2022, 6:58 am

SpiralingCrow wrote:
I'm an American living in a former Eastern bloc country. The people here do not share your feelings that the USSR was great. They don't want a return to communism or the oppression that came with it. They enjoy and appreciate the freedom they have gained.
Balts call their time in USSR "the second occupation".
I believe it tells enough.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 7:40 am

Trust me.....every Russian is expendable to Putin.

Putin wouldn't mind using the OP, who is so bent on extolling the USSR and Tsarism, as a human shield. Putin doesn't give a damn. You're just a pawn in his game. Much more so even than Americans are a pawn even in Trump's game.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 23 May 2022, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 7:42 am

The USSR was great for somebody who just wants to live off government money and services.

For those who seek to transcend their mere existence under the USSR, there is only emptiness and ennui. Vodka was the "opium of the people."

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 8:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Putin wouldn't mind using the OP, who is so bent on extolling the USSR and Tsarism, as a human shield. Putin doesn't give a damn. You're just a pawn in his game. Much more so even than Americans are a pawn even in Trump's game.

Yep.
That is how power corrupts.
We become "Useful idiots".

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 8:05 am

Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yep.

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=403880&p=9042127#p9042127
I also want you to realize that your distorted view of China is because you are a victim of politicians.
Those information doesn't even require any "insiders". They just hang on the internet.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 8:08 am

QFT wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
QFT wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Aside from gas disputes, which is an economic and trade issue, not a military issue, Russian and Ukraine have little to do with each other.

They have historic and cultural ties.

The United States and the UK have historic and cultural ties, so can’t we just invade the UK?

Actually its more like the UK invading us...to restore the British Empire, and reverse the American revolution.

But that you mention it...I think that the Queen SHOULD invade us. And rescue us Americans from ... [ whatever poltical group you mostdislike]......the KKK, Black Lives Matter, QAnon, Antifa, Boogie Boys, whatever. Just like Putin is just ...selflessly invading Ukraine in order to rescue the Ukrainians from that handful of neo Nazis they have. And why he is kindly and selflessly bombing, and shelling, the crap out of the Ukrainians! :lol:

Actually queen saving the US from all its struggles is not as silly as it sounds. That is part of what drives nostalgy: "why not return to the good old past so that you won't deal with current problems". Except that it would be country-wide nostalgy.

In fact, nostalgy is one of the main things that makes native Russians want to go back to USSR. For certain age group (including mine) USSR is associated with happy childhood. I guess Ukrainians don't share this sentiment. But if they did, then "USSR=Happy childhood" for Russians and "USSR = nazi-free past" for Ukrainians would be right along the same nostalgic lines.

As a Russian who came to America, I wish I could go back to USSR. And I also wish Queen were to free USA from its problems. Both thoughts are somehow associated with problem-free past.

Except that a queen won't be a childhood any more it would be few centuries prior to it. But all the better: I haven't made any of my life's mistakes back at the time of the queen. So going back there feels like having all my problems solved. Just like going back to USSR would solve all my problems too.

I’m a highly-functional K-drama addict. A result of this addiction is gradually picking up on the language without any actual study…which is probably the best way to learn any language. It’s not all that difficult to learn.

If you really are that nostalgic for the USSR, I suggest you learn Korean and relocate to Pyongyang. It’s a huge city that has almost completely eliminated traffic congestion. In fact, it’s pretty much eliminated TRAFFIC.

The countryside is more so idyllic, untouched by industrial farming techniques. Infrastructure is wanting…but who ever needs to go anywhere? Culturally and technologically the Norks achieved perfection far surpassing any Joseon wet dream by the 1970’s, so there’s been very little want for anything since. Because they exist in such a state of plenty, there’s no need for many Western frivolities. Recent years have seen the development of a superior Nork internet system, space exploration, and nuclear energy.

The only catch is actually getting into the country and staying there. My understanding is that the Norks have a healthy sense of humor and love pranksters. A few people have been known to have gotten permanent residency through well-timed jokes.

If NorKo isn’t right for you, consider Cuba or Venezuela. Though I’m not as much a fan as I am with K-dramas, Venezuelan telenovelas are actually entertaining. And Cuban Latin-jazz is unlike anything else in the world.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 8:31 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yep.

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=403880&p=9042127#p9042127
I also want you to realize that your distorted view of China is because you are a victim of politicians.
Those information doesn't even require any "insiders". They just hang on the internet.

No country is perfect. ;)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:05 am

There are countries that are "less perfect" than others, though.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2022, 9:08 am

And some are accellerating towards even less perfection.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:14 am

^I hope some nearby country takes him in ----quick!