Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ibmat5170
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2022, 2:53 pm

I think this might be a psych condition, didn't know where else to put it. I will not eat foods that are not the correct temperature. Examples:

I won't eat cold pizza, and I won't reheat it because the mouth feel is different afterwards
I won't eat french fries if they have cooled off. I must either eat them right after getting them at the drive thru or I won't eat them at all. In fact, this goes for anything fried. chicken, cheese sticks, etc.
I also won't eat melty or goopy ice cream. it must be cold and firm, or if soft serve, still cold cold and not melty cold.

The list goes on of course, but my wife thinks there is something wrong with me for this behavior. She will eat anything at any temperature. she is in no rush to dive into a mcdonalds bag to eat the fries before they cool off. I simply call my self a food perfectionist. I will not eat something unless it is perfect to my mouth. If i detect anything off, temperature, a chewey spot, a hard spot, I wont eat it.

Is my wife right, and this is an unacceptable behavior or is this just normal for some people.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 3:22 pm

Why can't it be both? It's often not a behaviour that's accepted, it's maladaptive to the person who ends up impacted by it but it's also pretty common among people with ASD.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 5:16 pm

Food texture/temperature issues are pretty common with ASD, though honestly I've met allistic people who don't like the same situations with food that you don't like. It's not "unacceptable", they're your preferences and your wife just happens to have different preferences than you do.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2022, 5:59 am

I'm not that picky with temperature of food, I am a little fat and I eat almost everything (healthy stuff mostly though)