Meeting people as a working young adult

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

quackslikeadoug
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 May 2022, 11:20 pm

Up until my senior year of high school, I was basically entirely socially inept. During my junior and senior years, I had a pretty rapid series of epiphanies and finally learned to connect with people. Hell, in senior year I was downright popular. With college, my parents forced me into going to a school in another state, and then Covid hit during my second semester, so I never got a chance to continue socializing before having to become a proper adult. It's been a couple years since then, and I see myself slipping back into that antisocial pit I spent so long desperately trying to escape. I've been in a stable relationship since HS graduation, so I've found it hard to find time to connect with people between work and tending to her and our home. My dad's been in this same situation his entire life, except with a wife he and his children all despise, and I'm deathly afraid of winding up like him, at least in that regard. I know I'm "missing out" on a lot of things because I left young adult daycare to join the workforce, and because of my relationship, but I see so many other people in this same situation who have lasting deep connections with each other. I'm secure in my relationship, but I'm worried not having other people I can confide in or talk to when we don't have the same days off is negatively impacting our relationship.

ScroogeMcDuck666
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2022, 2:58 pm

Group activities like sports or a book club I think are the common avenues. I'm sure you're probably already aware of those. You're fortunate that you already have the necessary skills, you just need to find the right group. If you like playing video games, finding a group on Discord focused on a game you like might be rewarding.

I know people like to approach romantic relationships differently, but I wonder if you two are compatible enough if you're craving more and you're afraid of ending up like your dad. I could easily be incorrect, it's just a thought.

boiledplaintive
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2022, 2:28 am

ScroogeMcDuck666 wrote:
Group activities like sports or a book club I think are the common avenues. I'm sure you're probably already aware of those. You're fortunate that you already have the necessary skills, you just need to find the right group. If you like playing video games, finding a group on Discord focused on a game you like might be rewarding.

I know people like to approach romantic relationships differently, but I wonder if you two are compatible enough if you're craving more and you're afraid of ending up like your dad. I could easily be incorrect, it's just a thought.

I agree with you. You only need to stand up and do something with such feelings. Communication will not become something difficult for you like you feel that way, you only need to make the first step.