A brutally insightful Quillette article about male violence

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 12:13 pm

I'm throwing this in here rather than news and current events because, while deeply insightful, I also get the sense that it's somewhat R-rated, ie. it's not something I'd feel comfortable giving my 12-year-old self to read.

I'll have to check out the author and see what else he's done but is sounds like he's taking a practical understanding of criminality, and mass murders in particular, and the lessons he's learned about how our society manufactures many of them:

https://quillette.com/2021/09/13/male-g ... umiliated/

There's a lot more I could say about this article but I'd rather see what other people gather from it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 12:29 pm

Also there was a respondent I saw in the thread comments, groovimus, I really wanted to chew the guy's ear off for being an idiot (psychedelics will fix everything! - no they sure won't) but alas the article and it's comments are locked so no such luck.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 May 2022, 2:25 am

Definitely humiliation is not how you raise kids with functional moral standards.
Is the US society really so status-obsessed?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 3:15 am

magz wrote:
Definitely humiliation is not how you raise kids with functional moral standards.

Yes. It's how the country was born, and will continue, until the empire is a memory of itself.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 May 2022, 3:27 am

I thought of my own experiences and for me, humiliation wasn't nearly as bad as rejection.
Which suggests my culture shifts values from status to belonging, compared to the culture of this article (USA).

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 6:34 am

magz wrote:

It's one of the best ways to damage their ability to compete. Obviously kids don't come into the world doing all of the right things and need correction but you have think about how that's done very carefully.

In Ed Kemper's case he was raised by someone with some really twisted traits and he bore the weight of their mental illness, and to make matters worse their mental illness was zeroed in on his sexuality (the core of what it is to be a biological entity in this world). Going Hollywood for a minute that almost reminds me of Kane from WWE in See No Evil where a religious puritan raised her son like an animal (humiliated in a cage) to kill what she saw as sinners and lower life forms. For a guy also with a 145 IQ - that's a big inner world individual and that big inner world I'm sure was an exquisite hell.