Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Polynechramorph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2022, 4:30 am

I was quite surprised to read about this a couple of years ago. It's where you realize you're in a dream state and develop complete control over the dream.

I was surprised as I had always assumed that everybody dreams this way. I have as far back as I can remember, dreamed in a lucid state. At least the dreams I remember.

Is this an Aspie thing or just me?

Last edited by Polynechramorph on 16 May 2022, 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 4:46 am

Interesting as I was just talking about this with someone.

Yes. I have had what you are calling lucid dreams. With repetitive dreams, I can solve the problem presented by the dream. It does take me a few nights though.

I have no idea if it is and aspie thing or not.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 4:47 am

Quote:

It's just you, because there was another thread here saying that Aspies can't lucid dream for some reason.

I never lucid dream by the way.

Polynechramorph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2022, 4:50 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

It's just you, because there was another thread here saying that Aspies can't lucid dream for some reason.

Thanks, I did do a search before starting this thread but the search function is quite useless I couldn't find anything recent so rather than wake a dead horse... Do you have the link?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 5:13 am

Polynechramorph wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, I did do a search before starting this thread but the search function is quite useless I couldn't find anything recent so rather than wake a dead horse... Do you have the link?

No there's nothing wrong with posting a thread about it, I didn't mean it in that way. It's just contradicting when one thread says "is it an Aspie thing to lucid dream" then another thread says "do Aspies find it hard to lucid dream" so it's obviously neither an Aspie thing or not, it's just down to the individual.
The search bar is crap here, yes.

Came up with this, but like we said the search bar is crap here so this was all I got. Lol.

viewtopic.php?t=277144

I'll find some more when I have more time.

Polynechramorph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2022, 5:42 am

A lot of people talk about setting a trigger for realizing you're dreaming in order to take over or take control of your dreams. These can be simple things you repeat during the waking hours like looking at your watch and then checking again right away to see if the time is still consistent. When you do this often enough you will start doing it in your dreams but the time won't be consistent so you'll realise that you're dreaming and take control.
There are any number of triggers you can set up and tons of online stuff about this.

I realised that my trigger was something unintentional that I almost always do in my dreams. It's a reoccurring thing that happens in almost every dream I have. I start to jump and when I realise I can jump higher and higher with every jump, presto! I'm in control. I can fly or do just about anything I desire. It's a lot of fun and I experiment with a lot of different things. Last night I had another fascinating conversation with Elon. :D

Last edited by Polynechramorph on 16 May 2022, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 6:58 am

^ I never thought of using lucid dreaming for having fun. Interesting.

I have spoken to people who passed in dreams, but I think that is more commonly experienced by people who have lost someone dear to them.

Polynechramorph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2022, 8:13 am

Once you take control and don't get startled by it and wake up, the possibilities are limitless. Sometimes it's just about having fun like snowboarding down Mount Everest, sometimes more intellectual like conversations with Elon or Einstein. other times its total full on fantastical journey. Your imagination is the only limiting factor. It is still just a dream so it's not the same as a real experience and fades rather quickly, for me anyways.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 8:24 am

I start taking bigger and bigger leaps until I'm flying.
It has also happend that I've realized that I have over slept and force myself to wake up.

/Mats

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 8:24 am

I have lucid dreams sometimes.

I don't exactly know I'm dreaming, but I'll be able to make decisions and change the plot at will. For example, If I'm trapped somewhere I'll just think "Oh good! This is one of those times where I can walk through the wall to get out!", or "Oh fun! This is one of those times where I can fly!" The word "dream" doesn't cross my mind, but my conscious brain is making choices which change the outcome.

I have an extremely rare ability to read and write in my dreams. Supposedly that's next-to impossible. Usually people will see a sign and the letters will melt together or they won't have their glasses. I often dream about holding a book or looking at a computer and reading lengthy passages. Sometimes I read entire threads on WP that have been made up in my dream but they look and sound real, with real members, their avatars, and their writing style. Sometimes I read poetry, essays, or even plays and novels. The content all makes sense because I can wake up and transcribe parts of what I've read. Likewise I have dreams where all I see is my hands writing on a typewriter or computer. I wrote my thesis this way. My brain was engaged enough to edit, revise, and think critically like I was awake, but I was also dreaming creatively enough that my thoughts felt like magic. When I write in a dream I can see my hands create the words in front of me. They appear on white paper or on a computer screen. Again, I can wake up and transpose them for posterity. Other than my thesis I've written songs, poems, forum comments, essays, and love letters whilst asleep.

I had a comprehensive sleep study exam that said I reach REM but I don't get to the deeper stage after it. Maybe that's why my brain stays partially alert and I don't forget all these words when I wake up.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 16 May 2022, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 8:25 am

My dreams seem pretty "real" sometimes. I believe in what occurred in the dream, sometimes, for a couple of hours after I wake up.

They are pretty "lucid." They make sense, superficially.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 8:33 am

I can and enjoy it.
Controlling unrealistic happenings in it requires concentration.

I don't consistently convert ordinary dreams into lucid dreams.
It's usually when I realize there's a logical hole in what I'm going through, and that's when I can realize it's a dream and want to enjoy it without waking up.
If I wake up naturally when I get enough sleep, I can enjoy a lucid dreaming state almost steadily if I go back to sleep. Sometimes this obsesses me and wastes a lot of time.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Polynechramorph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2022, 8:36 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I have lucid dreams sometimes.

I don't exactly know I'm dreaming, but I'll be able to make decisions and change the plot at will. For example, If I'm trapped somewhere I'll just think "Oh good! This is one of those times where I can walk through the wall to get out!", or "Oh fun! This is one of those times where I can fly!" The word "dream" doesn't cross my mind, but my conscious brain is making choices which change the outcome.

I have an extremely rare ability to read and write in my dreams. Supposedly that's next-to impossible. Usually people will see a sign and the letters will melt together or they won't have their glasses. I often dream about holding a book or looking at a computer and reading lengthy passages. Sometimes I read entire threads on WP that have been made up in my dream but they look and sound real, with real members, their avatars, and their writing style. Sometimes I read poetry, essays, or even plays and novels. The content all makes sense because I can wake up and transcribe parts of what I've read. Likewise I have dreams where all I see is my hands writing on a typewriter or computer. I wrote my thesis this way. My brain was engaged enough to edit, revise, and think critically like I was awake, but I was also dreaming creatively enough that my thoughts felt like magic. When I write in a dream I can see my hands create the words in front of me. They appear on white paper or on a computer screen. Again, I can wake up and transpose them for posterity. Other than my thesis I've written songs, poems, forum comments, essays, and love letters whilst asleep.

I had a comprehensive sleep study exam that said I reach REM but I don't get to the deeper stage after it. Maybe that's why my brain stays partially alert and I don't forget all these words when I wake up.

I often consult people in my dreams when I'm working on a real life difficult engineering problem. I haven't tried composing or writing yet. I will now though. Good idea.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 8:42 am

I forgot about the reading and writing part. I astonish myself by reading and writing fluent Spanish and French, when I am really only adequate.

I now have a whole new world to explore. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 9:01 am

This means you have the ability to be fluent in French and Spanish.

I once knew someone, with a fifth-grade education, who can recite complex philosophical texts in her sleep----but she could barely read when she was awake. She also knew at least one African language (I believe it was Yoruba), and she spoke in sort of a Dutch/English dialect at times, too.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 8:01 pm

The Meyer-Drake engine, which ruled Indianapolis for decades, was revealed in a dream. I have only had a couple of lucid dreams. More often, I notice that I'm dreaming while I'm still thinking I need to fall asleep. One odd thing that happens as I fall asleep is that my hearing shuts off, but it just goes dead silent, and I get startled by the lack of the usual electronic "pop" sound of a switch. It can switch on and off several times before I get across into sleep.
I have also had prophetic dreams.