Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 5:22 pm

^^ Congratulations, and best wishes for the main expedition. I've done some bicycle tours, and kayak trips when the ride-in camps got full. I don't know if there was a higher percentage of aspies there though. Aspie obsession with detail in planning helps - I know a couple of NTs who got surprised by a waterfall when canoeing a river, and one of them was usually smarter than that.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 6:34 pm

Not all the waterfalls and rapids get onto the maps, even the good ones. I had a 4 foot ledge that wasn't on the topo map. 8O You have to stay alert when traveling. :D

Thank you for the good wishes. I want to keep this up as long as I can.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 6:56 pm

You go BlazingStar…! Am glad your journey went well ! !! ! :D :D :D :heart:

where ever you go ,there you are

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 12:23 am

Dear_one wrote:
^^ Congratulations, and best wishes for the main expedition. I've done some bicycle tours, and kayak trips when the ride-in camps got full. I don't know if there was a higher percentage of aspies there though. Aspie obsession with detail in planning helps - I know a couple of NTs who got surprised by a waterfall when canoeing a river, and one of them was usually smarter than that.

I am glad I bought some Apple stock for my trust fund.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:01 am

I found a notebook of overseas names and addresses - clearly someone's connection to all their friends and family. There was one local address scrawled in the endpapers with no name, on the route I had driven for hitchikers during a transit strike. I stopped out front, blocking traffic completely, and a guy sprang off the porch and headed for the open van door at top speed. I was gone before he even knew he got his money back too. My mind was on traffic, not thanks, but I get a nice feeling remembering it now.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:57 pm

I once caused a jumbo jet flying from Jakarta to Hawai’i to make an emergency landing in Guam to get critical life saving care for a very tiny, very sick infant on the plane. Somebody had to make the decision and the captain relied on me. You would have thought in an entire jumbo jet there would have been a more experienced or licensed person, but there wasn’t.

Learned later the child would have died if we had waited till Hawai’i.

I’m thinking now it was the aspie traits assessing situations and making rational decisions…maybe even being able to make the hard decisions…that allowed me to save a child’s life.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:22 pm

Once upon a time a younger woman I knew , whom did not, and still doesn’t understand about being a Aspie.
Even tough her traits were painfully obvious and is still undiagnosed . Her life was headed in the direction of not functioning well in society . I knew her family at a distance . But we had Halloween decor and set up hobby for entertainment in common. And she was at best seemed to be headed for a life as a stock clerk at best. When she was functional Then I said a few things to bolster her confidence ..And she went from serving sandwiches to low level security . Only cause her confidence was better At the same amusement park as the sandwich place ,operated in .
Then a opportunity came that she could get into a high level security job at the same place . The police dept. hire that level security away from their jobs. As police recruits..And the physical training for higher level security was grueling and much bookwork . And she was pretty sure , it was beyond her. But I told her she had nothing to lose.
And I started giving her supplements which greatly aided her in getting through the schooling and training.
Including Nootropics to boost her ability to digest info. Bought her security equipment for her new position .
She then got a side job working for a Halloween store , where she quickly made it to assistant manager . After I taught her to be able to solder wires in small electrical circuits , where she became invaluable to their company .
Because damaged or not working Halloween display and sales . She was the only person who could repair them .
During that training, I noticed, she was a autodidact, And called her attention to it .And she started taking on more and more responsibility. As the Assistant manager for most all the Halloween stores in 2 States . She refused manager position several times , as I had warned her about being put into a salaried position as opposed to a hourly position. She has now changed jobs once more . Got her Commercial drivers license, started at the Major metropolitan Airport driving buses, and within a month, she has been made night manager in charge of Airport transportation and operations
For the Airports bus services .

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:04 pm

YAY Jakki!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:18 pm

^^ ^^ Congratulations to both of you. Right now, I'm glad I just left a weekly Zoom meeting I'd been on for two years because it was likely to trigger my PTSD this week. I left at the first sign of danger instead of waiting as I often do. And, I'd already gotten a great piece of information to investigate.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 4:40 am

^ That’s a good one to have learned. Took me a long time to act on this kind of insight and actually avoid the hot spots. I’m glad you could do it too.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 9:24 am

Am still not good at avoiding situations .. but am more aware of them happening .

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 1:51 am

^^ ^^ I realized that I don't have to give much or any explanation. I might just say that my PTSD had flared up, without saying why. I even declined to elaborate recently, and it felt good. It reminds me of times I've been expected to know what I did wrong, but with the shoe on the other foot.
Today's addition is that over a year ago, I started a diary with one entry per day of one of the bright spots in my life, and I'm very glad I did. It helps to keep me from dwelling on the negatives, and I can read some of the older entries for a quick boost.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 2:04 am

I was really glad I signed up to the bone marrow donor register way back in 2003.

I got a call end 2015 , and six months later after various tests and medicals spent a day plumbed to the machine and produced around seven million stem cells which went off to give someone very much more sporting odds of survival from a blood cancer.

And I am dead proud of signing up to the phase three trial of what, according to Wikipedia is the most widely used Sars-CoV-2 vaccine worldwide and been part of getting the safety and efficacy data for its authorisations and approvals.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 3:33 am

Quote:
What Are You Glad You Did?

• Paid off college right after graduation.
  • Bought my house before the market got as crazy as it is now. Consequently, if I still had my college debt I won't have been able to buy this house due to debt-to-income ratio.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 10:18 pm

I'm glad I seized the opportunity to work at a bank. Those were the best three years of my life. I'm glad I graduated from High School. I'm glad that I found out about Om Nom.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 1:18 am

Dear_one wrote:
^^ ^^ I realized that I don't have to give much or any explanation. I might just say that my PTSD had flared up, without saying why. I even declined to elaborate recently, and it felt good. It reminds me of times I've been expected to know what I did wrong, but with the shoe on the other foot.
Today's addition is that over a year ago, I started a diary with one entry per day of one of the bright spots in my life, and I'm very glad I did. It helps to keep me from dwelling on the negatives, and I can read some of the older entries for a quick boost.

I'm glad I read this post.