Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 4:37 am

Dear_one wrote:
Today's addition is that over a year ago, I started a diary with one entry per day of one of the bright spots in my life, and I'm very glad I did. It helps to keep me from dwelling on the negatives, and I can read some of the older entries for a quick boost.

Just paying some attention to the bright spots as you call them, is a super excellent way of improving quality of life, IMO and my experience.

I love your expression bright spots. I may adopt it, if you don’t mind.

My practice is primary in my mind, not written. I like the idea of writing them down in a diary in order to look back. Thank you.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 9:26 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
^^ ^^ I realized that I don't have to give much or any explanation. I might just say that my PTSD had flared up, without saying why. I even declined to elaborate recently, and it felt good. It reminds me of times I've been expected to know what I did wrong, but with the shoe on the other foot.
Today's addition is that over a year ago, I started a diary with one entry per day of one of the bright spots in my life, and I'm very glad I did. It helps to keep me from dwelling on the negatives, and I can read some of the older entries for a quick boost.

I'm glad I read this post.

Agrees with the above posts….. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 10:27 am

I’m glad that I bought a decent espresso machine.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

30 Jun 2022, 2:57 pm

I am glad that I went scuba diving and traveled the world when I was a young man.

Those memories keep me warm on cold nights

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Last edited by goatfish57 on 30 Jun 2022, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 3:14 pm

blazingstar wrote:

I love your expression bright spots. I may adopt it, if you don’t mind.

Chorus:
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me - what a long, strange trip it's been."

- Truckin' - Grateful Dead

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 6:40 pm

Very good. Took me a minute or two - not to get the reference which has got to be imprinted on anyone growing up in the 60s but it's relation to you. Very good indeed, Dear_one. :D

And from what I have read, the light was shining on you quite a number of times. :D I envy your mind. :D

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 7:04 pm

Thanks.
One evening, I was riding my bike and witnessed a hit-and-run accident. I managed to track down the culprit, who had stopped to think nearby, persuade him to return on foot to meet the victim, and then to mediate a discussion, sitting between the two drivers in his front seat, getting all the necessary information before he continued on his urgent errand. Then, we returned to the scene, where a Policeman was quite puzzled by a damaged car off the road and no people. Then I forgot where I was supposed to go that evening, and went to my regular spot, blowing off a job, which turned out OK.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 9:29 pm

I'm glad I burned bridges with a fake friend.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 9:48 pm

Dear_one wrote:
KimD wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
I've been writing up one of these a day for a year now in a diary, and it does help me feel better about life.
1. I'm glad that I noticed I had gotten into a rut, and went on a long bicycle tour to find a new location.
2. I'm glad that I used to go for walks late at night, and turn off the headlights of a parked car almost every time.

Off topic, but where were you that people didn't lock their cars?! Why would you mess with a stranger's car, except in the case of an actual emergency?

Toronto, Canada. I did it because I follow the Golden Rule, and because there was about zero chance of getting in trouble that fast. Anybody could see the lights go out, and the door close right away. A lot of people don't lock their cars even in rowdy areas, because the windows cost more than anything they leave inside.
Michael Moore did a video where he documented conditions in Detroit, and then crossed the river to Windsor, Ontario, and found that most houses had unlocked doors. A lot of houses are left unlocked in winter just to make sure that nobody freezes to death nearby. Cars are left unlocked in Churchill Manitoba in the spring in case somebody needs to get away from a Polar bear. However, cars are locked in most of rural Canada in late summer to keep them from being filled with Zucchini.

Thanks for this, really made me giggle.

Shoalinagent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2022, 10:51 pm

Stop relentlessly trying to self-improve and be constantly better, and appreciate what's already around me.
Many people have a lot, or little.
But even fewer have 'enough'

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 5:04 am

One day, way before 911, I found a Pentax SLR camera left in a Rose Garden. I was thrilled because I had wanted one, but couldn’t afford it at the time.

BUT, my aspie honesty could not let me just assume ownership.

There was film in the camera. (Way before digital cameras too.) I got the film developed.

They were wedding pictures. Ok. Now I have to return it, but how? Many pictures were from the rose garden, but one picture was on the steps of a church. But what church?

I took the photos to the nearby campus chaplain, who identified the church for me.

I took the photos to the church and showed them to the priest who recognized the couple, but did not remember their names. He looked them up in the church records and gave me their contact information. (A simpler time!)

I called and someone arranged to pick up the camera and the photos. They were very grateful. They wanted to give me a reward which I emphatically declined. I did permit them to reimburse me for the cost of development and printing, about $11. (It is also important to respect their dignity and they would have had to pay that anyway if they never lost the camera.)

It was actually great fun and well worth it even if I didn’t get to keep the camera. :D

Vasco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2022, 5:59 am

I am glad that:
I joined this forum.
I tested for autism at a later age.
I cleaned my room, and created new sleeping space. I may not have to sleep next to my Mom anymore. She is fearful of many things, and it gets to me often late at night. It will happen less often if I sleep in my own room.
Attended CAD workshop.
Did 2 chapters of Zybooks assignment.
Did not play vidya today (Yakuza 4 Remastered)
Flossed/Brushed my teeth.
Ate food and took medication/supplements, also, candies.
Drank water throughout the day.
Experiment with taking naps at 5 minute intervals to prevent myself from reaching deep sleep. (Seems like it did not help because I am awake at 4AM --- It's a learning experience.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 6:11 am

What’s wrong with “deep sleep”?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 8:56 pm

When Farley Mowat went to do the field research for "Never Cry Wolf" he was initially frustrated, because he'd miss important comings and goings while he slept. His solution was to imitate the Wolves, and have many short naps. He still couldn't keep them all short until he also copied the Wolves in actually getting up to turn around a few times between naps. That way, he was able to get enough sleep, and still observe almost everything at the den. All was well until he returned home in the fall, and his girlfriend swore that she'd never share his bed again.

I am glad that I survived my marriage, but it has left me with a permanent inability to sleep through the night. Before artificial lighting, most people had two sleeps per day, and I'm stuck on it now, which is hard to accommodate in western culture.

dirteerascal1a4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2022, 1:16 pm

Imho self improvement is masterbation.Learning and education should be done for its sake.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 3:23 pm

dirteerascal1a4 wrote:
...self improvement is masterbation.

I bet you're glad you watched Fight Club. :nerdy:

I'm glad I forced myself to learn to drive despite how overwhelming it was for the first few years.
And I'm glad I forced myself to learn to drive stick.

I'm not so glad that might be the last thing I've accomplished. :cry: :lol:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う