People at work getting suspended for silly reasons

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 1:10 pm

Where I work this lovely man got suspended for 28 days even though he's the one that cared the most about the work and done a lot of extra hours to get the work done, and it was always done properly. He took the job seriously and hardly gave himself a break. They suspended him for being too hardworking. :?
He confides in me and so tells me everything, that's how I know. We are good friends.

Now another bloke at work has just been suspended, but I'm not quite sure why. Probably another silly reason. I thought you had to do something bad to be suspended, like drugs, sexual harassment, stealing, bullying, etc.
I'm now becoming paranoid in case I get suspended. I love my job and I work hard and like to get it all done properly. Does this mean I will get suspended too? :?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 1:22 pm

How many hours did he usually do per week?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 1:54 pm

Nades wrote:

I don't know, about 40 but he often ended up doing 45 or more, just to get the work done. He is a perfectionist.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 10:42 pm

In some states, "at will" employer

The company could make anyone redundant for any reason or no reason. As long as it is not discrimination or otherwise illegal. "It's not a good match", the reason I got made redundant.

What you could do (this might be a good or bad idea) is ask for feedback

What other "silly" reasons did your coworkers get suspended?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 10:55 am

Joe90 wrote:
Nades wrote:

I don't know, about 40 but he often ended up doing 45 or more, just to get the work done. He is a perfectionist.

Sorry for the late response. That's actually not that many hours to warrant getting fired. Sounds like a run of the mill full time allotment of weekly hours to me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 9:47 pm

I found out that the second bloke was suspended because he swore at another worker (I know they all swear there but it's always in a jokey sort of way or just ranting, but he actually shouted and swore at someone and intimidated them). That is a more understandable reason to be suspended.

But with the first bloke I mentioned in the OP, I don't think that was a reason to be suspended. He is a good worker, very positive, eager, treats everyone with respect, has a good attitude, gets the work done even if it means overtime hours, and has many other good qualities as an employee. I'd know, because I work in the same area as him and he's such a pleasure to work with. Lovely man.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:22 am

Some states "at will" employer

The company could make anyone redundant for any reason or no reason. Just has to not be illegal reason. For example, Whistleblower retaliation, "discrimination", Occupational Safety Hazard Association.

It is legal to fire someone for being (too hard working) (in some states in united States. United kingdom might be different)

But anyways the company could do anything it wants, legal or illegal, and the employee can't do anything about it except (maybe) win a civil lawsuit

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 1:24 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I found out that the second bloke was suspended because he swore at another worker (I know they all swear there but it's always in a jokey sort of way or just ranting, but he actually shouted and swore at someone and intimidated them). That is a more understandable reason to be suspended.

But with the first bloke I mentioned in the OP, I don't think that was a reason to be suspended. He is a good worker, very positive, eager, treats everyone with respect, has a good attitude, gets the work done even if it means overtime hours, and has many other good qualities as an employee. I'd know, because I work in the same area as him and he's such a pleasure to work with. Lovely man.

Hmm the mystery thickens then. Truly strange.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 1:45 pm

Another Dismissal for a Stupid Reason:

The boss's wife "voluntold" me at closing time on Friday night to show up at their house promptly at 6:00 the next morning wearing a tux to work as a waiter at her private garden party until 10:00 that night.  The company was an agricultural supply warehouse.  Nothing was said about being paid for 16 hours of Saturday labor.  I turned her down because I did not own a tux.  She fired me on the spot.  The boss only shrugged and mouthed the word "sorry".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 4:10 pm

American labor laws don't apply where Joe is. She's in the UK.