Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 8:16 am

Sorry, Joe, but the only publisher I have ever worked with (outside of tech writing) is  Aphelion  -- a webzine of science-fiction and fantasy.  The link takes you to their 'Submissions' page.

Good luck!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 8:17 am

A famous writer, Jack Kerouac, wrote a 1,000-page novel on a teletype machine. He did it while he was high on "uppers."

He didn't even separate into paragraphs. The publisher, though, liked his work enough to edit it. It was a difficult job---trust me! They lopped the book down to maybe 300-400 pages. And they edited it in other ways, too.

Kerouac, at first, resisted the changes. However, he came to realize that he had to concede to the publisher on some points, so he accepted the changes. He still became famous for writing "On the Road," the book that was originally written on a teletype machine.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 1:43 am

Type your stuff up on your Libreoffice program, then go to Amazon Kindle, on which you can self publish. That's what I've done for all four of my books.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 3:11 am

Really good luck with this, but in the kindest possible way be prepared to face rejection from publishers and the general public. It's a very competitive market so publishers may not bite if you go down that route at some point. In terms of the general public, the risk with writing about oneself is that others may not find you as fascinating as you think you are! I'm saying this simply so you are prepared. I know a very talented writer that has so far only managed to get some limited success with being published in some low print volume magazines. I also have a friend form university who self published three novels (a trilogy) and it is still available from Amazon but the comments on the selling page are so harsh, criticising him and his writing ability, it must have really hurt him to read them. It's best to go in with 'eyes wide open' as they say.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 4:18 am

munstead wrote:
Really good luck with this, but in the kindest possible way be prepared to face rejection from publishers and the general public. It's a very competitive market so publishers may not bite if you go down that route at some point. In terms of the general public, the risk with writing about oneself is that others may not find you as fascinating as you think you are! I'm saying this simply so you are prepared. I know a very talented writer that has so far only managed to get some limited success with being published in some low print volume magazines. I also have a friend form university who self published three novels (a trilogy) and it is still available from Amazon but the comments on the selling page are so harsh, criticising him and his writing ability, it must have really hurt him to read them. It's best to go in with 'eyes wide open' as they say.

Writing about oneself is the most original thing you can do, also it's supposed to be an autobiography type thing written in diary form.

I know I said I didn't mind some criticism from family I don't think my self-esteem will take harsh criticism from the internet. I know there are nasty trolls lurking around that think they can say anything they want and sometimes it's so harsh and hateful that it can be hard to ignore. As a sensitive person I struggle with dealing with personal criticisms.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 5:40 am

I read an interview with a successful author once, and they gave the advice that aspiring authors should not share their manuscripts with friends or family because they will get biased feedback i.e. friends/family won't want to upset the aspiring author.

If I was going to self publish something I think I would try my hardest not to read comments about me or my writing. Like you I am sensitive to these things.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:18 pm

I've started typing my story up on my laptop but oh it's so boring to do! Fun to write, fun to read, but to type, it's too slow going and mentally tiring. I don't think I'll be able to do it. Why can't publishers just read from a book instead of from a screen all the time?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:31 pm

Because it’s more difficult to read someone’s handwriting than a typed manuscript.

I know it’s annoying….but continue doing it.

I might be your first customer!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Because it’s more difficult to read someone’s handwriting than a typed manuscript.

I know it’s annoying….but continue doing it.

I might be your first customer!

My handwriting is pretty neat and readable. My spelling and punctuation is also intact usually.

I would pay someone to type it up for me (writing a list of names to replace the real names), but I don't know how much it will cost and who will do it.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 9:37 pm

On a device you could use speech to text.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 4:33 am

Raleigh wrote:
On a device you could use speech to text.

Maybe I'll try that, as it might be quicker. The typing is getting on my nerves. The keys on my keyboard are too close together and because I'm typing so fast it's annoying to have to keep pressing the backspace bar several times after every other word.

I mostly write my WP posts on my phone and I'm excellent at using the keyboard on my phone, because of the autocorrect. Is there a way I could link my phone up to the laptop so that I can type without using the laptop keyboard, or hasn't technology quite reached that ability yet?

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 4:47 am

You could use your phone to type the words into a plain text documents e.g. one per chapter then periodically plug your phone into your computer via the USB port and download the files. Copy and paste the chapters together into a book. Voila, job done.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 9:05 am

Radish wrote:
You could use your phone to type the words into a plain text documents e.g. one per chapter then periodically plug your phone into your computer via the USB port and download the files. Copy and paste the chapters together into a book. Voila, job done.

It's OK, I found a way now. Just had to download an app on both devices called remote mouse and tether the phone to the laptop and I can type out my story on to the laptop using my phone keyboard. It's much quicker.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 9:18 am

I’m just the opposite!

I type well on a typewriter keyboard—but suck really bad on a phone keyboard.

Good luck with the book!

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 9:36 am

Joe90 wrote:
Radish wrote:

It's OK, I found a way now. Just had to download an app on both devices called remote mouse and tether the phone to the laptop and I can type out my story on to the laptop using my phone keyboard. It's much quicker.

Well done. :D Best wishes with it all.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 3:33 pm

Oh wait, I don't have to tether the phone to the laptop, I can do it through WiFi. So I can even do it whilst in the bath. :)