Page 5 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 May 2022, 4:32 am

SpiralingCrow wrote:
I do think I let friends influence my behavior or mannerisms even when I was young. The need for acceptance was so strong then I was more willing to make compromises with myself for it. Now I don't care. It's too exhausting keeping up such charades.

I really enjoy this aspect of ageing 8)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:33 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I guess I get on better with women than with men, though I'm rather picky about friends even though in theory I should have more contact with people than I currently have. I don't get on well with anybody who comes over as too gender-binary (the "look at me, I'm so masculine / I'm so feminine" thing). I prefer men who don't mind showing their "feminine" side (sensitivity, courtesy, art appreciation, vulnerability etc.) and women who don't mind showing their "masculine" side (intelligence, practical clothes, interest in technical matters, toughness, independent thinking). I'd probably have a lot more to do with women than I do, but we live in a mostly monogamous society and there's often this anxiety about the risk of things getting sexual and threatening people's partners, which probably gets in the way of social intimacy. It's not often talked about at the time but I think there's often an awareness that lines may be getting crossed. So it's often simpler with heterosexual men. But overall I've usually found women easier to relate to and talk with, though there have been some notable exceptions.

Things get more complicated if that friend has a partner. My boyfriend and I both have friends of the opposite sex. We are open and don't hide things from one another. So far we have no issues with jealousy.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:43 am

critusodemphone wrote:
SpiralingCrow wrote:
I was reading through some posts on the forum the other day. A man mentioned that in school, all the boys hated and bullied him but he got along with the girls. I'm a woman and all my past friendships with women do not survive. The relationship feels complicated and tends to end quite poorly. Often, I don't understand why it ends. I find my friendships with men either don't end at all or last longer. They also feel less complicated.

I began thinking about how the opposite sex may relate to those on the spectrum. Are NT men more forgiving of the "quirks" of ASD women? Are NT women more forgiving of the "quirks" of ASD men?
Has any one else found that friendships with the opposite sex less complicated? Or no there is no difference?

I have found that NT T males/females are forgiving of quirks so long as they are in the lust stage of the relationship.
As for males, generally, are forgiving of quirks so long as the female has sex with them one to two times a day.

Soooo my first post in several years....
Apparently I read "friendships" as "relationships."

Umm whoops. Not gonna delete this post, just add on. Heh.
Perhaps I wanted to comment on relationships.

Many things are overlooked or "forgiven" when sex is involved.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:44 am

magz wrote:
SpiralingCrow wrote:
I do think I let friends influence my behavior or mannerisms even when I was young. The need for acceptance was so strong then I was more willing to make compromises with myself for it. Now I don't care. It's too exhausting keeping up such charades.

I really enjoy this aspect of ageing 8)

And it gets worse with age :D

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 May 2022, 4:45 am

SpiralingCrow wrote:
Things get more complicated if that friend has a partner. My boyfriend and I both have friends of the opposite sex. We are open and don't hide things from one another. So far we have no issues with jealousy.
My now-husband did the best thing he could do about a girlfriend with many male friends: he made friends with them as well.
Now, we have plenty (well, "plenty" for our introverted standards...) of mutual friends.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:50 am

magz wrote:
SpiralingCrow wrote:
My now-husband made the best thing he could about a girlfriend with many male friends: he made friends with them as well.
Now, we have plenty (well, "plenty" for our introverted standards...) of mutual friends.

This helps. I know or have met a few female friends. I have internet friends who live far away. But we will openly discuss these friendships, so the air stays clear.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 May 2022, 4:52 am

I can't imagine staying in a relationship without honesty and trust like that.
I don't talk to my husband about all my internet friendships because he's genuinely uninterested (finds it boring) :lol:

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 6:49 am

We usually pass bits of information we think the other will be interested in. Sometimes stuff the other isn't interested in too :lol:

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 7:42 am

I often overshare in these areas.
My first boyfriend was annoyed at me talking about my relationship, with a male friend they knew each other.

It always seems to cause problems when talking to other men about my partner, sometimes from the partner, sometimes from the male friend. Especially when your environment is too conservative and sex segregation, this often brings trouble.
But my best female friend is not interested in my relationship.

I think I'm often overly obsessed and overanalytical about partner-related information, and so insecure about my analytical abilities for a individual that I want to seek other references. :?

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 7:48 am

I know, for me, that I don't like "talking about the relationship." I just like doing things with my girlfriend/wife.

Watch an Ingmar Bergman movie; you will see what I mean. I just can't sit around a table all day talking about "feelings." It's just annoying. I'd rather be out and about, doing things like going to ballgames, going to movies, or for a walk.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 8:00 am

I rarely talk about the "relationship" itself. I prefer hard facts to personal feelings (I can't perceive them well). I just want to discuss certain information about the partner with someone I trust. It's more of a special interest.
Although I will try to avoid invading my partner's privacy when I'm sensible and only discuss public information.
And analyzing large amounts of public information at high density still sometimes seems like an invasion of privacy. (At some point I'm really going to do very deep information digging. Sometimes my partner doesn't resent my digging of his information and is willing to talk to me about it, which is really lucky. :oops: )

So I've always had a polyamorous tendency, although I don't seem to be able to handle it very well. :|

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 8:18 am

We typically don't discuss the relationship. Nor do I generally discuss that with friends. It's other bits of information we share.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 9:15 am

It’s seems a lotta of people seem to be ? Not interested in discussing relationship aspects ? Mostly men it seems .
But have known several women whom seem to shy away from discussing it . Not sure I understand this . .?

where ever you go ,there you are

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 9:43 am

Female friends who fit the stereotype often seem to share their relationships or talk about their boyfriends.
My college roommates (plural, yes, there are seven in our dorm :| ) openly gossip about any member's (potential) romance.

But I didn't form friendships with any stereotyped women. I just have some acquaintances like that.

And must men who were willing to listen to my endlessly nonsense about a guy I was interested in turned out to be, in the end, actually interested in me. This would make things rather tricky...and I'm at a loss for what to do. I have lost/hurt several people because of this. :(

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 20 May 2022, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 9:52 am

SpiralingCrow wrote:

I guess a lot of it depends on the local culture. And I've noticed younger people are often more liberal about these things. And people with bad experiences of unfaithful partners can be pretty wary of possible future dangers for a long time. It can be very hard on the ones who don't get on well with their own gender if they're partnered with somebody who hates it if they're "too friendly" with the opposite sex, because then they're looking at a pretty bleak social future, or a deteriorating relationship with their partner. I guess it's important to anticipate any possible incompatibilities beforehand.

Yes Jakki, I've noticed a general tendency for women to be more interested in talking about relationships than men are, though as you've seen, it depends on the person as well. I don't think I've ever been close to a woman who wasn't interested in relationship matters, but I've only been close to maybe 10 women, which isn't a very big sample size. And relationship issues are rather deep material for the casual banter that usually takes place between people who aren't close.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 10:19 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
SpiralingCrow wrote:

I guess a lot of it depends on the local culture. And I've noticed younger people are often more liberal about these things. And people with bad experiences of unfaithful partners can be pretty wary of possible future dangers for a long time. It can be very hard on the ones who don't get on well with their own gender if they're partnered with somebody who hates it if they're "too friendly" with the opposite sex, because then they're looking at a pretty bleak social future, or a deteriorating relationship with their partner. I guess it's important to anticipate any possible incompatibilities beforehand.

Yes Jakki, I've noticed a general tendency for women to be more interested in talking about relationships than men are, though as you've seen, it depends on the person as well. I don't think I've ever been close to a woman who wasn't interested in relationship matters, but I've only been close to maybe 10 women, which isn't a very big sample size. And relationship issues are rather deep material for the casual banter that usually takes place between people who aren't close.

I don't tend to discuss relationship issues with friends. If there is problem, I discuss it with my boyfriend and we work through it as couple. In the past other people have discussed their relationship issues with me but not so much the other way around. Perhaps that's why those friendships did not last, because it was not reciprocal.