Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 2:07 am

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2022/may/19/vangelis-greek-composer-chariots-of-fire-blade-runner-dies

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 9:36 am

Can't really say it's a 'sad day', more like a life well lived and a lot of people would say dying before your 80's can be a blessing (I got into that discussion when Chick Corea died at the same age a few years back).

Stuff he wrote back in the early 80's is still fresh to my ears, in a similar way to Pat Metheny.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 2:47 am

he filled a musically psychic hole in many of us through his output.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 4:41 pm

Of course, Chariots of Fire is the one most people will remember. When I was really little (early-mid 80s), Sesame Street did a parody called "Chariots of Fur" with Grover, Herry, Telly, et al. I thought they were saying "Beautiful Fly".

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 6:39 pm

he was a copy of nobody, that's for sure, and he'll be missed. another gifted matriculated member of the heavenly chorale.