Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2022, 8:22 am

In 2011 I sought medical help for depression and started taking anti-depressants.

I took them more or less continuously for 10 years, then in January 2021, the doctor I was seeing at the time decided he didn't want me as a patient any more. Owing to numerous bad experiences with doctors, as well as doctors being few and far between in my country, I decided that after 10 years I'd had enough.

I gradually lowered the dose, suffered with quite a few withdrawal effects (although not as bad as some of the medications I've had), and eventually had my last one in May 2021 :D .

As soon as I stopped them, my depression symptoms returned. I was tired all the time. I was finding it harder to deal with people. I can't easily concentrate on anything. I lack energy, and spend too long feeling suicidal.

But at least I don't have to deal with my country's useless medical system. Yipee.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 May 2022, 8:32 am

steve30 wrote:
As soon as I stopped them, my depression symptoms returned. I was tired all the time. I was finding it harder to deal with people. I can't easily concentrate on anything. I lack energy, and spend too long feeling suicidal.

But at least I don't have to deal with my country's useless medical system. Yipee.
Is NHS that bad?
I meet my psychiatrist in a private practice - here, it's possible and commonly practiced to mix private and state-funded healthcare.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 8:38 am

magz wrote:
steve30 wrote:

Is NHS that bad?
I meet my psychiatiris in a private practice - here, it's possible and commonly practiced to mix private and state-funded healthcare.

Depends on the situation. For emergencies the NHS can often be good. My dad had a motorbike crash ten years ago and they immediately arrived on the scene and sent a air ambulance to pick him up from the field he flopped off his bike in directly to the hospital in a city.

For stuff like mental health they're usually dire. It's probably a bit of a public image issue. Leaving someone dying in a field looks awful on the NHS but mental health is much less "in your face" and can be swept under the rug.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2022, 9:07 am

magz wrote:
Is NHS that bad?
I meet my psychiatrist in a private practice - here, it's possible and commonly practiced to mix private and state-funded healthcare.

Yes. I've mostly had private care over the last few years, but even that can be very hit and miss. GPs and psychiatrists often don't bother with private work here. Physiotherapists and orthopaedic surgeons however, and you are spoilt for choice.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2022, 1:17 pm

Well done man!!
I'm in a similar kind of relationship with healthcare where I am. I have realised I don't speak the same reality as medical people. And that's Ok!
I have also got off meds over the last few years. I have learnt other ways of dealing with things. Yes, I self medicate occasionally. It's the least I can do for myself. And learning how to deal with how my body feels has been most important. The body is where all of the past is stored. Working with releasing that has given me more agency and made me feel more stable and happier than I've ever felt before. Sometimes we need to go to medicine. Especially when things are desperate. But after a while of stabilizing things, if you feel like challenging yourself, it may be a good idea to gently wean yourself.
Well done. Stay strong and good luck.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2023, 10:15 am

I just thought I'd update this topic...

Its now late 2023 which means I've been off the anti-depressants for over two years now.

Still feeling absolutely horrendous, but at least there's no crappy healthcare system to deal with.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 12:05 pm

Well done m8. I love our NHS and would happily see National insurance raised to pay for it but it does have its faults.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 12:08 pm

Mental health treatment on the NHS is known to be terrible. Waiting times of 18 months for talk therapies are not uncommon in some areas.

Not being able to have any medication prescribed for a particular mental health issue is another, since most GP's want you on the cheapest medication possible, even when it doesn't work.