Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 12:23 pm

9 shot, 2 fatally, at State and Chicago on Near North Side, CPD says

Quote:
Nine people were shot, two fatally, in a shooting outside a McDonald's on the Near North Side Thursday night in what Mayor Lori Lightfoot called an "outrageous act of violence."

Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said two groups of people were fighting in the area of the 800-block of North State Street at about 10:41 p.m. when someone in the crowd began firing shots.

The shooter then fled down to the CTA subway platform and members of the shooter's group fled with him, police said.

Police chased the suspect and arrested him in the subway station and a gun was recovered. Brown said they are working with the Cook County State's Attorney's Office on charges.

Brown said a pod camera in the area captured the shooting and one person was arrested for obstructing officers on the CTA platform.

Brown said a person was seen on video handing the shooter a gun and they are working to identify that person.

Police said nine people were transported to hospitals or walked in themselves.

in the wake of the shooting, the mayor asked Superintendent Brown to install a fixed post of uniformed officers at the intersection of State and Chicago and a separate fixed post in the Red Line station in the same area. Superintendent Brown said that will be in effect immediately.

She has also engaged the Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection to determine what if any additional measures need to be taken to address the long-standing concerns along that block
Superintendent Brown said it is a gun crime crisis.

"We are awash in guns and I would continue to beat the drum of consequences in the courts for people who have violent crime histories who are then arrested for possessing a gun illegally," Brown said. "They should not be released."

Second Ward Alderman Brian Hopkins says it's going to take detectives hours, if not days, to comb through all of this video footage.

"I'm hearing from people who have lived in the city their whole life and they tell me the same thing: They've never been as frightened as they are right now," Alderman Hopkins said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:54 pm

My father's wife lives in that neighborhood.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:00 pm

This is one sorry epidemic the Americans have right now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:05 pm

People have to learn to respect each other.....that's the bottom line.

There is a "silent majority" out there who decries this stuff. And will do anything to stop this crap. All this radicalism, and all the "dissing."

Yep.....Nixon talked about a "silent majority"----but the ideology of this "silent majority is different." They are tired of all the BS.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 20 May 2022, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:09 pm

[opinion=mine]

Back in the day, incidents like this (two armed groups shooting at each other) were called "Gang Warfare", not "Mass Shootings".

A mass shooting occurs when one armed person (or small group of armed persons) shoots at a larger, unarmed group.

[/opinion]

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:18 pm

That's pretty much what is was: "gang warfare."

But "gang warfare" must stop, too!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
[opinion=mine]

Back in the day, incidents like this (two armed groups shooting at each other) were called "Gang Warfare", not "Mass Shootings".

A mass shooting occurs when one armed person (or small group of armed persons) shoots at a larger, unarmed group.

[/opinion]

Yes, there was gang warfare back then, but today the shooters do not care how many noncombatants get caught in the crossfire.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
[opinion=mine]

[/opinion]
Yes, there was gang warfare back then, but today the shooters do not care how many noncombatants get caught in the crossfire.
Ever hear of Al Capone's Beer Wars?