Page 7 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 12:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Unless you are thinking long term and head a country with a population greater then anybody else's and figure you can weather the horrific blowback. I find it hard to imagine the CCP would make such a horrifically self damaging and immoral decision but if there is anything we have learned is never underestimate the depravity of people. And there are too many insane terrorists out there for comfort.

I don't see a connection between having a larger population than other countries and a greater desire to create viral bioweapons.
China has far less per capita medical resources than developed countries. And, a much higher population density, which means the virus can spread more easily.
Then, put biological weapons at the heart, high population density area, and transportation hubs of the country for research? :scratch:

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2022, 12:11 pm

I don't count on Chinese state morality but I don't find their politics that insane.
Well, of course, we recently have an example of a state getting far more insane than anyone would expect... but with this insanity also comes ineffectivity. They're bound to each other.
Even a psychopath must stay sane (i.e. well-grounded in reality) to make effective decisions. Maybe very immoral - but effective.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 12:23 pm

Nor did I factor in ethics.
But this is clearly unprofitable and fraught with political risk.
It's hard to believe that a regime that does everything in its power to maintain order would want to deliberately create chaos for itself.

All actions here can be directed towards real interests and “bring stability” interests. Beyond that, ideology has no place here.
Research errors are still possible. There is no possibility of research chemical weapons in Wuhan.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 1:23 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Unless you are thinking long term and head a country with a population greater then anybody else's and figure you can weather the horrific blowback. I find it hard to imagine the CCP would make such a horrifically self damaging and immoral decision but if there is anything we have learned is never underestimate the depravity of people. And there are too many insane terrorists out there for comfort.

I don't see a connection between having a larger population than other countries and a greater desire to create viral bioweapons.
China has far less per capita medical resources than developed countries. And, a much higher population density, which means the virus can spread more easily.
Then, put biological weapons at the heart, high population density area, and transportation hubs of the country for research? :scratch:

It would be a depraved calculation. They could put say 80 percent of the American population out of commission by permanently disabling or killing them. That would be about 263 million people. Putting 263 million Chinese out of commission is 23 percent of the population. Much more solid ground to start over with. They would figure the Americans would not take warnings and mitigation seriously unlike their own population and I would assume they would have an antidote ready before they launched the weapon. Such a contagion would neuter not only the Americans but all their competitors.

SkinnedWolf wrote:
But this is clearly unprofitable and fraught with political risk.
It's hard to believe that a regime that does everything in its power to maintain order would want to deliberately create chaos for itself.

Why assume the current "control freak" regime will be there in perpetuity? In reality, America is much much much much more likely to elect a true madman but that is another thread

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 2:56 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It would be a depraved calculation. They could put say 80 percent of the American population out of commission by permanently disabling or killing them. That would be about 263 million people. Putting 263 million Chinese out of commission is 23 percent of the population. Much more solid ground to start over with. They would figure the Americans would not take warnings and mitigation seriously unlike their own population and I would assume they would have an antidote ready before they launched the weapon. Such a contagion would neuter not only the Americans but all their competitors.

Are we living in the era of Genghis Khan? :scratch:
The struggle between nations is not a race for population numbers.

Conversely, if you were a regime that could reap the fruits of other countries' labor from certain industries, you would want other countries to have more labor. Or if you're selling your goods, you want other countries to have bigger markets.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 2:59 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Are we living in the era of Genghis Khan? :scratch:
The struggle between nations is not a population race.

Sometimes I wonder, if not Genghis Khan some other type of insanity.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 4:49 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
You should have named the topic "Emergence of a Deadly Monkeypox".

:mrgreen:

Im actually pretty frustrated that I did not think of that. :oops:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Jun 2022, 5:38 pm

Would you like it changed anyway?
No charge. :wink:

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 5:42 pm

Oh I would love that! :heart:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Jun 2022, 5:46 pm

Done!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 5:55 pm

There are now 5 cases in NYC.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:02 pm

It’s what really killed Michael Jackson.He caught it from snoodling with Bubbles the chimp.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 5:22 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Done!

Thanks Cornflake!

cyberdad wrote:
It would appear you need to be "monkeying around" to catch this virus
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/23/cdc-off ... nity-.html

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 6:43 am

As of a couple weeks ago:

There's a monkeypox outbreak in the United Kingdom, Portugal, Spain and other European countries. The outbreak is small — so far about 80 suspected cases in England, Spain and Canada as well as Portugal, Sweden, Italy and France. Two suspected cases have also been reported in the U.S.

There's concern the virus may be spreading through the community — undetected — and possibly through a new route of transmission.

Monkeypox can be a nasty illness; it causes fever, body aches, enlarged lymph nodes and eventually "pox," or painful, fluid-filled blisters on the face, hands and feet. One version of monkeypox is quite deadly and kills up to 10% of people infected. The version currently in England is milder. Its fatality rate is less than 1%. A case generally resolves in two to four weeks.

Source: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... d-we-worry

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 6:59 am

Since 13 May 2022, and as of 2 June 2022, 780 laboratory confirmed cases of monkeypox have been reported to or identified by WHO from 27 Member States across four WHO regions that are not endemic for monkeypox virus. Most reported cases so far ... involved mainly, but not exclusively, men who have sex with men.

Source: https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... 022-DON390

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 7:30 pm

Here is this blog post on Infection Control Today that contains a synopsis of a week old WHO Monkeypox seminar.

Quote:
Last week the World Health Organization held a two day webinar which outlined what is known about the Monkeypox outbreak and the main questions which still need answering. Below is some of the information presented in the webinar:

Monkeypox is an orthopoxvirus and related to smallpox. There are two main strains: A Central African and Western African clade. The Central African has a fatality rate of up to 10%, and the West African has a fatality rate of between 2 to 3%. Luckily, the current virus circulating in Europe is related to the West African Clade.

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/v ... it-really-