Page 5 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:19 pm

Brictoria wrote:

It is amusing, though, how even mentioning coincidental studies such as this bring out the science deniers and their ad-Hominem attacks... Twitter was quite interesting in that regard.

Remember how the origins of covid being the result of a lab leak were flatly denied, despite leading medical scientists pointing out some evidence to the contrary?

I remember very clearly how some people on this website took the position it was totally, absolutely a conspiracy theory, purely because political elements in his nation said so.

Now the position is that the lab leak theory is not only possible but probable.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:30 pm

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

It is amusing, though, how even mentioning coincidental studies such as this bring out the science deniers and their ad-Hominem attacks... Twitter was quite interesting in that regard.

Remember how the origins of covid being the result of a lab leak were flatly denied, despite leading medical scientists pointing out some evidence to the contrary?

I remember very clearly how some people on this website took the position it was totally, absolutely a conspiracy theory, purely because political elements in his nation said so.

Some people don't seem to learn, do they? :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if any other nation has such political elements. In China, the laboratory origin theory was a major debate topic in our political debate in the first half of 2020. And at the time support for the theory prevailed.
Our common position now is to treat it as a weak possibility and use the likelihood statement.

I suggest you to check the relevant international investigation records and come to your own opinion instead of trusting the political elements of any nation.
Especially considering that you and your nation seem to have a pretty bad track record involving certain levels of political elements.

To be honest, I doubt your challenge of comparing other sources and finding original information on your own country's propaganda is one percent of the work I've done on mine. If you really have had one.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:43 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

I'm not sure if any other nation has such political elements. In China, the laboratory origin theory was a major debate topic in our political debate in the first half of 2020. And at the time support for the theory prevailed.
Our common position now is to treat it as a weak possibility and use the likelihood statement.

I suggest you to check the relevant international investigation records and come to your own opinion instead of trusting the political elements of any nation.
Especially considering that you and your nation seem to have a pretty bad track record involving certain levels of political elements.

I always engage in critical thinking, as I have often told you.
Why do you forget these things?

Last edited by Pepe on 23 May 2022, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:45 pm

Should be easy to determine if there's anything iffy about this strain when the genome is uploaded. It likely already is. It appears natural enough in behavior so far and the cessation of routine Smallpox vaccination in many areas of Africa has allowed for higher spillover rates along with international travel doing its thing. It should be squashed, though, as there's always a chance of better human airway adaptation given enough sequential transmission and/or immunocompromised hosts in the world. Good news being that immunity will be long-lasting. They've generally been warning about this for quite some time due to the lack of immunity as time has been going on; some have theorized the R0 of Monkeypox would actually be over 1 without mass Smallpox vaccination in Africa, with it being below 1 with such, so not self-sustaining. I wouldn't worry about it from what's been revealed so far, as the severity and R0 both look about right to me.

It'd be iffy if it was airborne IMO. Smallpox vaccine resistance would clearly be a sign of iffiness too.

(International travel sucks by the way, and will be the reason for the "big one" going pandemic. If SARS-CoV-2 was SARS-CoV in severity, it would have been genuinely terrible.)

Last edited by Dillogic on 23 May 2022, 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:45 pm

Pepe wrote:

I don't think anyone would claim that they don't have critical thinking.
This doesn't explain anything. Come up with your results, instead of claiming how sophisticated your tools are.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:48 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:

This doesn't explain anything. Come up with your results, instead of claiming how sophisticated your tools are.

I prefer to think for myself.
You are entitled to do the same. :wink:

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:53 pm

Pepe wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I don't think you will benefit from believing that there are secret police in China that are trying to threaten you.
The same for permanently removing China from your travel destinations.

I certainly think/work for myself.
Otherwise I've been involved in advancing the political debate agenda for years because someone paid me for it?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:59 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I don't think you will benefit from believing that there are secret police in China that are trying to threaten you.
The same for permanently removing China from your travel destinations.

I certainly think/work for myself.
Otherwise I've been involved in advancing the political debate agenda for years because someone paid me for it?

I will *never* go to China.
I have heard too many disturbing events about how people are used as political pawns.
This happened to the Canadians also.

But then, I will never go anywhere overseas.
I won't leave my K9 kids alone for that long.
I am a good "father". ;)

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:05 pm

Pepe wrote:
I have heard too many disturbing events about how people are used as political pawns.

Living under the illusion that China is preparing to invade you has no benefit for mental health.
You worry about it even more than the Taiwanese. If you do try to search for any relevant polls.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:09 pm

I would like to take a cruise on the Huang He.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:11 pm

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Some people don't seem to learn, do they? :mrgreen:

I'm still trying to understand the "logic" required to assert that it is:
* "Racist" to suggest it was caused by a simple accident which could have happened in any country
* "Not Racist" to focus people's attention on cultural areas (wet markets) which many could find unusual\offensive\abhorent - particularly as it could cause some to recall things such as https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2017/07/16/why-chinas-dog-meat-market-has-expanded

Given that racists tend to focus on the differences, rather than the similarities, between themselves\their "group" and their target group\"race", the above approach seems designed to appeal to racists\inflame racists\racism, rather than to reduce such opinions\beliefs.

Of course, once a "critical mass" of scientists started pushing back on this approach, those trying to focus attention on cultural areas rather than potential accidents moved to an "anti-science"\science denialism outlook - that trying to find the source\cause of the outbreak in order to try and help prevent further such outbreaks (or work out the liklihood of them) was a bad thing, and the whole issue of trying to discover information which could help mitigate future outbreaks should be ignored\prevented.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would like to take a cruise on the Huang He.

The Yellow River/Huang He has a very high sediment content, and the second half of it is a river suspended on the ground.
I recommend the Yangtze River/Chang Jiang more, especially the Three Gorges section.

But it has not been easy to enter China recently, and it may still take at least half a year. It is far easier for foreign nationals than Chinese citizens, but it is still not easy than to enter other countries.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 11:03 pm

Thanks!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 11:20 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Living under the illusion that China is preparing to invade you has no benefit for mental health.
You worry about it even more than the Taiwanese. If you do try to search for any relevant polls.

It is my life to live. ;)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 1:51 am

It would appear you need to be "monkeying around" to catch this virus
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/23/cdc-off ... nity-.html

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:30 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I don't know what "australopithecine" means, but I'm going to report it just to be on the safe side.

:mrgreen: