Page 6 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2022, 3:42 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
In China, the laboratory origin theory was a major debate topic in our political debate in the first half of 2020. And at the time support for the theory prevailed.
Our common position now is to treat it as a weak possibility and use the likelihood statement.

I don't know if weak or not, I treat it as a possibility. An open question.

In a branch and place closer to me, I know some nuclear physics experiments done in Dubna (Russia) would not be allowed in West Europe, for their strict safety concerns. So, while Dubna could not compete with West European labs when it comes to sophisticated equipment, it offers its relaxed safety measures that make some experiments possible there.
I don't know if Wuhan was a Dubna for virology. It just crossed my mind by analogy to something I know.

I think even for PR reasons, virology labs in Wuhan should now raise their safety standards above any doubt.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
As a junior high student, I made up a character named Oohkee. He was an Australopithecine.

Gee. I wonder where your junior high self got THAT idea from.

Eegah!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:38 am

Nope....probably from "Korg, 70,000 BC," even though Korg was a Neanderthal.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
No more sex with rodents, nor with monkeys!

Richard Gere won't be happy about this. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 4:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Or Clint Eastwood

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 4:38 pm

By the way, what's in the picture is not a monkey. It's an orangutan, which is an ape.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:15 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

The gerbil community can sleep well tonight. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Or Clint Eastwood

I doubt Clint's orifice would be large enough to accommodate. 8)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 9:30 pm

Of course the geniuses are already claiming it's a hoax. :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 9:46 pm

Too early to be making predictions and claims.

It is not likely the next COVID only because worldwide pandemics that kill millions happen pretty infrequently so the odds of a new one starting before the other one is finished is quite low. But freaky coincides do happen and seeing what COVID did to the world provides an obvious motive.

The problem is while this is likely to be way less than COVID, hypervigilance means it is going to take a lot less than COVID to paralyze us.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 9:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

It is not likely the next COVID only because worldwide pandemics that kill millions happen pretty infrequently so the odds of a new one starting before the other one is finished is quite low. But freaky coincides do happen and seeing what COVID did to the world provides an obvious motive.
e us.

"Motive"?

One germ gets "motivated" by seeing what another germ did? WTF are you talking about?

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 10:03 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
I've seen people try and pass it off as Shingles ( it's not ). Just watched a piece that said it's related to gay male sex...

According to AP, the recent outbreak may have been:
Quote:
A leading adviser to the World Health Organization described the unprecedented outbreak of monkeypox in developed countries as “a random event” that appears to have been caused by sexual activity at two recent raves in Europe.

Dr. David Heymann, who formerly headed WHO’s emergencies department, told The Associated Press that the leading theory to explain the spread of the disease was sexual transmission at raves held in Spain and Belgium. Monkeypox has not previously triggered widespread outbreaks beyond Africa, where it is endemic in animals.

[...]

Health officials say most of the known cases in Europe have been among men who have sex with men, but anyone can be infected through close contact with a sick person, their clothing or bedsheets. Scientists say it will be difficult to disentangle whether the spread is being driven by sex or merely close contact.

Source: https://apnews.com/article/health-world-organization-united-nations-animals-72a9efaaf5b55ace396398b839847505

Persephone29 wrote:
It would be interesting to know the actual truth regarding animal to human transmission. I've read that some are the result of farmers sharing a habitation with the animals they raise.

From the same article:
Quote:
That marks a significant departure from the disease’s typical pattern of spread in central and western Africa, where people are mainly infected by animals like wild rodents and primates and outbreaks have not spilled across borders.

Much as with Covid, there isn't much known about how the disease crossed\crosses to humans. Unfortunately, with Covid, we had people take an active interest in blocking\interfering with legitimate investigation\research (whether for political or anti-science reasons) into how\where such a cross-species infection occurred - Hopefully that won't be the case with this (or any future) disease\outbreak.

Agreed

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 10:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

e us.

"Motive"?

One germ gets "motivated" by seeing what another germ did? WTF are you talking about?

Terrorists or governments creating a bioweapon.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2022, 1:36 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Covid would have been an exceptionally poor bioweapon - impossible to control, in most cases mild.
Monkey pox is also said to be predominantly mild.

The purpose of a bioweapon, just like any weapon, is to hit your enemies and not you. Well, unless you are an insane terrorist - but in such case, your access to cutting edge technologies is usually limited.

No, while I find the research leak scenario quite possible, the bioweapon scenario does not fit my "psychological portrait" of Chinese decision-making process. They're a dangerous dictatorship but not suicide-bomber terrorists.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 4:34 am

magz wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Covid would have been an exceptionally poor bioweapon - impossible to control, in most cases mild.

The purpose of a bioweapon, just like any weapon, is to hit your enemies and not you. Well, unless you are an insane terrorist - but in such case, your access to cutting edge technologies is usually limited.

No, while I find the research leak scenario quite possible, the bioweapon scenario does not fit my "psychological portrait" of Chinese decision-making process. They're a dangerous dictatorship but not suicide-bomber terrorists.

I originally speculated that Covid was a way to get rid of the "Dead Wood", I.E. Old people.
The Zoomer's revenge against the Boomers who they say caused the coming global apocalypse via "Climate Change". :skull:

I was serious at the time, btw. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 11:50 am

magz wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Unless you are thinking long term and head a country with a population greater then anybody else's and figure you can weather the horrific blowback. I find it hard to imagine the CCP would make such a horrifically self damaging and immoral decision but if there is anything we have learned is never underestimate the depravity of people. And there are too many insane terrorists out there for comfort.