Божий суд над великой блудницей

Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:57 am

Cornflake wrote:
:scratch: Who would shop for jfets in an Istanbul bazaar?
A person who flew 10,000 miles to restore a custom-made satellite-tracking system to full operation.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2022, 10:01 am

Ah, but for those wondering about JFETs and related devices, there's this:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:03 am

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2022, 10:05 am

Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
A person who flew 10,000 miles to restore a custom-made satellite-tracking system to full operation.
:shrug: I would've just tried https://www.mouser.co.uk/ or any one of a shedload of other distributors, but that wouldn't help with the Air Miles. :wink:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2022, 10:06 am

Fnord wrote:
Of course, but sometimes a lecture is nice.

(apologies for the continued diversion but like Fnord, I have a long professional history in electronics)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:09 am

Cornflake wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
:shrug: I would've just tried https://www.mouser.co.uk/ or any one of a shedload of other distributors, but that wouldn't help with the Air Miles.
It also does not help that Mouser has no office in Turkey (although the local "Stirbocks" has an outstanding double espresso).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 2:06 pm

I don't "let YouTube do my thinking for me."

I never claimed that 1420 is "authoritative." That would render me ridiculous. And I stated such in my comments above. It's not on the same "plain" as research studies or academic papers. But anecdote has its place.

I believe, as others have stated, that it is an "alternative" way of obtaining information as to how "people on the street" actually think about certain issues. I believe looking at 1420 has provided me with some perspective.

Actually, I would like to find a similar channel which asks Ukrainians in the street about the same sorts of issues as 1420 asks Russians.

I wouldn't quote it in an academic paper----except as examples of anecdote.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 2:17 pm

By the way: Going "off-topic" could provide more varied and substantive knowledge than merely "sticking to the topic."

Where else could one learn that a seeming absurdity like obtaining certain electronics parts in an Istanbul bazaar could actually be something which is quite pertinent?

This idea-----of expansive, inductive learning, is that which will bring the world together, in my view.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
1420 focuses on street interviews.  I don't think just because it's stored on Youtube makes it any less credible than other polls.
My point is that YouTube videos are usually produced by someone with a specific goal in mind -- something other than to inform the public -- this alone makes YouTube videos suspect.

The sad fact you seem to not acknowledge is that news is produced with the exact same goals in mind. One shouldn't let any single source think for them, including CNN or whatever other one you might prefer.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
. . . One shouldn't let any single source think for them . . .
I have about two-dozen originating news sources to choose from, both foreign and domestic, including Fox News, Breitbart, The Daily Beast, CNN, Newsweek, Time, and several English-language news outlets in Asia and Europe.

YouTube is great for entertainment, but CNN and Fox together are superior originating news sources.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2022, 3:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I have about two-dozen originating news sources to choose from, both foreign and domestic, including Fox News, Breitbart, The Daily Beast, CNN, Newsweek, Time, and several English-language news outlets in Asia and Europe.

YouTube is great for entertainment, but CNN and Fox together are superior originating news sources.

No Russia Today? :twisted:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

For starters you seem to be ignoring that several of the outlets you've mentioned (and many more with a similar level of credibility) have YouTube channels. The distinction isn't as clear-cut as you often seek to imply. Just like any other resource one needs to understand how to use it effectively. Compared to TV one needs to put more effort into curating a selection of sources and putting effort into vetting them for credibility. That might not suit people who are seeking to engage more passively with their news sources.

TL;DR: 'YouTube' isn't a single source so blanket statements about it's credibility are nothing more than an admission of your own credibility on the topic. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:24 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I have about two-dozen originating news sources to choose from, both foreign and domestic, including Fox News, Breitbart, The Daily Beast, CNN, Newsweek, Time, and several English-language news outlets in Asia and Europe.  YouTube is great for entertainment, but CNN and Fox together are superior originating news sources.
For starters you seem to be ignoring that several of the outlets you've mentioned (and many more with a similar level of credibility) have YouTube channels. . .
I know those channels exist; but there is no reason to use them when the original report is available at the source.

Why go across town for what you want when it is available at the same cost right next door?

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I have about two-dozen originating news sources to choose from, both foreign and domestic, including Fox News, Breitbart, The Daily Beast, CNN, Newsweek, Time, and several English-language news outlets in Asia and Europe.  YouTube is great for entertainment, but CNN and Fox together are superior originating news sources.
For starters you seem to be ignoring that several of the outlets you've mentioned (and many more with a similar level of credibility) have YouTube channels. . .
I know those channels exist; but there is no reason to use them when the original report is available at the source.

Why go across town for what you want when it is available at the same cost right next door?

It was only after I checked a CNN news video version that it was proven to be fake news. Text cannot. :lol:

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Why make things harder than they need to be when they can all be in one place? I mean, besides getting to virtue signal about the purity of your sources? :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I know those channels exist; but there is no reason to use them when the original report is available at the source.  Why go across town for what you want when it is available at the same cost right next door?
Why make things harder than they need to be when they can all be in one place?
Greater assurance that the article has not been altered before arriving at the second location.  Also, it may be days (or even weeks) before the news article appears on YouTube.  I like my news fresh.