Божий суд над великой блудницей

Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 3:34 pm

Thanks for all the work you did.

I, myself, though I deplore Russia’s actions pertaining to Ukraine, would not countenance somebody wishing this same fate for Russians

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 7:44 pm

YouTube is a GREAT resource. You have to keep away from the crap, though.

I’ve learned so much in it.

For some thoughts of how Russians view the “special operation,” and some other sensitive issues, I would consult the channel known as “1420.” Obviously, this is not a perfect reflection on what’s really going on, and people’s views all over Russia. But I have found it somewhat useful.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 8:46 am

Never let YouTube do your thinking for you.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 8:54 am

1420 focuses on street interviews.
I don't think just because it's stored on Youtube makes it any less credible than other polls.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2022, 9:02 am

We've had this conversation before.
Youtube is full of everything, wise and stupid, and its algorithms are designed for entertainment (You liked that song? Check out this one!)
Algorithms good for proposing you songs you may enjoy make a disaster when used for aquiring information. You liked an UFO story? Check out this one! You liked a lizard people conspiracy theory? Here you have more!
Looking for information while relying on algorithms adapted to entertainment results in reinforcing whatever bias and false beliefs one had before.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:22 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
1420 focuses on street interviews.  I don't think just because it's stored on Youtube makes it any less credible than other polls.
My point is that YouTube videos are usually produced by someone with a specific goal in mind -- something other than to inform the public -- this alone makes YouTube videos suspect.  The algorithms Magz cited are simply more nails in YouTube's credibility coffin.

How many times have members of this website linked to videos of lunatics raving on and on about everything they don't like, and then cite the videos as "proof" of their favorite conspiracy theories?  I have lost count.

If someone is going to cite their favorite YouTube video, blogger, Twitter user, or discredited celebrity/politician as "proof" of a conspiracy theory, then they could at least try to back it up with a couple of links to credible news and science sources that the rest of us trust and respect.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2022, 9:31 am

While I agree that those posts are extremely irritating and often ridiculously long, judging YouTube itself from the posts we get here isn't really valid - there is so much more to it than tinfoil videos and mindless pap.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:33 am

Cornflake wrote:
While I agree that those posts are extremely irritating and often ridiculously long, judging YouTube itself from the posts we get here isn't really valid - there is so much more to it than tinfoil videos and mindless pap.
Sure . . . but I can watch only so many clumsy cat videos in one day.

Seriously, though . . . While I have found a few YT videos that have been helpful in my line of work, it is much more beneficial to go straight to the source and obtain the information I need.

Last edited by Fnord on 23 May 2022, 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2022, 9:34 am

Search smarter... :wink:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2022, 9:35 am

Cornflake wrote:
Youtube has both lectures of world best professionals and rants of random tinfoils.
Problems start when one can't tell one from the other.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:38 am

I don't use any non-academic one-way output sites as my primary source of information - there is no room for comments or the status of commenters and promulgators is extremely unequal. Video sites are the extreme embodiment of such sites.
But I'm not against using it as a search engine sometimes. to obtain supplemental evidence or for tips on where to look for supplementary evidence.
Or just witness the diversity of human thinking.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 23 May 2022, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2022, 9:40 am

magz wrote:
Youtube has both lectures of world best professionals and rants of random tinfoils.
Problems start when one can't tell one from the other.
Yep... :lol:
But that illustrates a much wider problem, and one I think Fnord was addressing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:42 am

magz wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Youtube has both lectures of world best professionals and rants of random tinfoils.  Problems start when one can't tell one from the other.
Bingo.

It is better to go to the professionals' own websites and find the needed information there.

Those algorithms you mentioned provide gullible, conspiracy-minded people with all the affirmation and reinforcement they need in an echo-chamber environment without accountability for what is being said.

IMHO, YouTube is great for finding esoteric entertainment, but lousy for zeroing-in on exactly the information needed to make an informed decision.  Professional websites are the exact opposite -- less entertainment, but more information.

Last edited by Fnord on 23 May 2022, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2022, 9:46 am

Fnord wrote:
IMHO, YouTube is great for finding esoteric entertainment, but lousy for zeroing-in on exactly the information needed to make an informed decision.
Well yes - YouTube is presented largely as a diverse entertainment platform and as such it's a pretty blunt tool for locating specific, detailed information. But it does still exist there.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:53 am

Cornflake wrote:
Fnord wrote:
IMHO, YouTube is great for finding esoteric entertainment, but lousy for zeroing-in on exactly the information needed to make an informed decision.
Well yes - YouTube is presented largely as a diverse entertainment platform and as such it's a pretty blunt tool for locating specific, detailed information. But it does still exist there.
Okay, to put it differently, it is like wandering a bazaar in downtown Istanbul looking for a pair of complementary jfets to construct a gyrator circuit, when one could more easily place an order with an industrial supply house and have them delivered to your doorstep.

YouTube is literally the last place I look to be informed . . . unless it is something like George Carlin's 7 Words You Can't Say on Television.

But we have gone off-topic again.  Sorry 'bout that.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2022, 9:56 am

:scratch: Who would shop for jfets in an Istanbul bazaar?