Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 May 2022, 7:25 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
God actually used the Great Substitution to punish America. :evil:
Not tornadoes and wildfires?

But, seriously, if God wanted to damn America, there's Yellowstone Supervolcano right at hand.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 7:26 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Quote:
Suddenly, in one hour, a nuclear catastrophe will engulf America - and this nation will no longer exist. This will happen because America has sinned against the Great and Almighty God.

Let me guess, the nation which launches those nukes at America will be blessed by God for doing his will.

Or maybe God will make America launch America's nukes against itself?

I’m wondering why God needs to resort to nukes.

It’s like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

God actually used the Great Substitution to punish America. :evil:

Both theories have a similar degree of plausibility.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 7:31 am

My former religion believed that the “purple harlot” in Revelations was “the world empire of false religion.”

If there’s anything vitally important that God wanted to communicate to people in those passages, he should’ve stated it outright rather than speak in riddles.

I find the Book of Revelation interesting from a literary perspective.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 7:33 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
God actually used the Great Substitution to punish America.

It would be a sad, pathetic, sort of irony if right wing Christians who buy in to that Great Substitution, Great Replacement, theory also believe Replacement Theology, that is that they in the Church have replaced Israel in God's plan.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 7:38 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
If there’s anything vitally important that God wanted to communicate to people in those passages, he should’ve stated it outright rather than speak in riddles.

Maybe "God" has actually been speaking directly.
But "Clergy" always wanted to fill the "Bible" with room for interpretation.

I'd much rather hear what "He" himself has to say about this in a privacy environment without distractions.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 7:45 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

There are portions of the Bible which are highly allegorical and do require a certain degree of interpretation to get any meaning from them.

I’m an atheist and believe that the Bible was solely written by men with no divine inspiration. If I was a Christian, I’d probably be more concerned with straightforward scriptures because I would think that God would state the important stuff in a straightforward way so it wouldn’t be, quite understandably, misunderstood.

I’d try to focus on the historical aspects of it, too, but that appears challenging to many because they want it to be relevant and meaningful for our day.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 May 2022, 7:55 am

magz wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Yep - that was sometimes a diversion on the London Underground, someone raving like that at the rest of the carriage.
We had nowhere to hide! 8O :lol:
Oh man, that sounds worse than a Gypsy playing an accordion (common nuisance in public transport here) 8O
:lol: That was the more common nuisance at the time I stopped commuting - usually played in a mechanical way by someone looking incredibly bored, while their accomplice pestered passengers for money and sometimes even prodding those engrossed in their phone or desperately hiding behind a newspaper.

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m wondering why God needs to resort to nukes. Usually, it’d be fireballs raining down from the sky dispatched by the Almighty himself.

Boils, there has to be a plague of boils to make it worth the effort - ooh, ooh, and raining frogs.
There's nothing like an amphibian deluge for getting attention.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 8:08 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

There are portions of the Bible which are highly allegorical and do require a certain degree of interpretation to get any meaning from them.

I’m an atheist and believe that the Bible was solely written by men with no divine inspiration. If I was a Christian, I’d probably be more concerned with straightforward scriptures because I would think that God would state the important stuff in a straightforward way so it wouldn’t be, quite understandably, misunderstood.

I’d try to focus on the historical aspects of it, too, but that appears challenging to many because they want it to be relevant and meaningful for our day.

Since I didn't ask if y'all are interested enough to spend the time I don't know whether y'all are, but if there is a desire to find out from a source which to me seems free of extremism, then this fellow's videos are good at giving understanding of stuff in the Bible, https://www.youtube.com/c/MikeWinger

Sometimes I do better with written material instead of video/audio, but I've not yet found a text collection of his content.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 May 2022, 8:12 am

Cornflake wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m wondering why God needs to resort to nukes. Usually, it’d be fireballs raining down from the sky dispatched by the Almighty himself.

Boils, there has to be a plague of boils to make it worth the effort - ooh, ooh, and raining frogs.
There's nothing like an amphibian deluge for getting attention.
Oh, come on! God is Almighty! Anything short of a sharknado wouldn't be enough!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 8:15 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Since I didn't ask if y'all are interested enough to spend the time I don't know whether y'all are, but if there is a desire to find out from a source which to me seems free of extremism, then this fellow's videos are good at giving understanding of stuff in the Bible, https://www.youtube.com/c/MikeWinger

Sometimes I do better with written material instead of video/audio, but I've not yet found a text collection of his content.

I’d recommend just reading the Bible although I have read academic works such as “How to Read the Bible” by James Kugel which goes into the historical and cultural influences on the OT and works by Bart Ehrman who focuses on the NT. Both have a scholarly, critical approach which I appreciate.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 8:48 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

Talking about allegorical passages and that purple harlot of course brings up the book of Revelation.

One thing in there comes to mind which in previous centuries, even a couple decades ago, certainly didn't look meant to be literal is the bit about the two witnesses.
Specifically, this from chapter 11,

Quote:
7“And when their testimonies are complete, The Beast that will ascend from the Sea will make war with them and will conquer them and kill them.” 8“And their corpses came into the street of The Great City, which spiritually is called Sadom and Egypt, where their Lord was crucified.” 9“And then they of the peoples and generations, languages and nations will look upon their corpses 3 1/2 days, and they will not allow their corpses to be placed in tombs.” 10“And the inhabitants of The Earth will rejoice over them and they will celebrate and they will send gifts to each other, because of the two Prophets who tormented the inhabitants of The Earth.”

Previously it wasn't possible for people all over the planet to look at the same time in real time at something happening in a specific location.
So people went, "yeah, that's definitely some kind of mysterious allegory to something".
But now we have satellite television and the internet and smart phones.

And that bit about people all over the Earth sending gifts to each other ...
That can be done now.
For instance,

You can now send Amazon gift cards via text message or messaging apps like WhatsApp or Snapchat
by Taylor Soper on August 29, 2017 at 6:46 pm
https://www.geekwire.com/2017/can-now-s ... -snapchat/

No address, no problem: Amazon enables Prime members to send gifts via text or email in app
by Kurt Schlosser on October 4, 2021 at 12:01 am
https://www.geekwire.com/2021/no-addres ... email-app/

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 2:25 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
QFT wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:
Russian nationalism has been tied to Orthodox Christianity (ie: the Orthodox Church) for centuries.

I would bet 99% that this guy is a Protestant and not Russian Orthodox at all. He started his video with Shalom, which means he is Messinic, and vast majority of Messianics are Protestants.

But other than that you are correct that Orthodox Christianity views Russia as a God-bearer. Very much like American Protestants view America as such.

But since that guy is probably a Protestant, I am actually not sure how he views Russia. Would be interesting to know.

He says "shabbat shalom" and seems to be wearing a kippah. He is probably Jewish.

He is Messianic. Messianic movement combines Protestant Christianity with Jewish rituals. Thats why he talks about Jesus and wears kippah.

I am Messianic myself so I have inside knowledge.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 2:55 pm

Ive always known it as a yarmulke.

I’m Jewish on my mother’s side.

I wish we had an English translation of what the guy said. Most of the comments reek of anti-Americanism. Like we are going to “pay” for supporting Ukraine in this war.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 2:59 pm

If I would have posted something where the comments were as anti-Russian as the comments on the video are anti-American, I might have been at least censored by the moderators.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 3:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If I would have posted something where the comments were as anti-Russian as the comments on the video are anti-American, I might have been at least censored by the moderators.

The most extreme anti-American rhetoric I've seen in China is at least more logical than that.
And I don't think that's likely to appear on mainstream platforms in China without any objection.

Russia's internal dynamics appear to be very different from China's.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 May 2022, 3:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish we had an English translation of what the guy said. Most of the comments reek of anti-Americanism. Like we are going to “pay” for supporting Ukraine in this war.
I posted a Google Translate of the video description below it on the YouTube page, here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=406055&start=16#p9040716

It's not easy quoting and manipulating blocks of text on a mobile phone - I thought this might be useful.

Sadly I suspect it summarises quite well what he's saying in the video.
YouTube is a magnet for this stuff.