Aspergers or ASD with Auditory Processing Disorder

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AMarriedAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2022, 5:04 pm

I am a 40yo male diagnosed with level 1 autism but my therapist thinks it’s Aspergers I agree.

I have trouble in conversations with my short-term memory and if I am stressed I don’t seem to be able to listen to anything even if I am focused on the speaker. I’ve listened to recordings of myself when stressed and it boggles me how I don’t understand the speaker. For the speaker, it’s like talking to a wall and aggravating.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Below is a wiki link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditor ... g_disorder

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 5:15 pm

Officially, according to the DSM-V, there is no more "Aspergers"----but I do understand where you're coming from.

Sometimes, I experience symptoms of Auditory Processing Disorder.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 5:28 pm

I don't think I have this but some of the symptoms listed describes me but I thought it was part of ADHD.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 6:18 pm

Sounds like me. I often have to ask people to repeat things. If I'm not paying close enough attention, I can miss part or all of what someone is saying. It just sounds like they are mumbling. I have great hearing too. I can hear pin drop 3 houses over. Processing verbal information, however, is a bit more of a challenge.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 6:24 pm

I find most people have auditory processing difficulties when it comes to names. Whenever someone says a name, no matter how familiar the person mentioned is, the response is often "who?" I, for one, actually hear names first time and hardly ever need to ask them to repeat the name.

Sometimes people ask who? at a simple name that's easy to hear. Like if someone has a girlfriend and someone asked what her name was and he said "Rebecca", a simple, common name that doesn't really sound like any other name, and they still go "who??"

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 7:35 pm

Yep, that's me. Not understanding a name (esp. with background noise or o/w stressed). Sometimes I will say "what" as I am hearing what was said. Wait for it, wait for it...