Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 4:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I was just over the cutoff line to join mensa at 130. You would qualify with room to spare. So if you're going by IQ numbers I would be a knuckle dragging chimp compared to you.

I think you have a lot more common sense than I do. If people here interacted with me IRL they'd have a puzzled look, and would be thinking WTF!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 7:30 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I don't understand your original post. Because I didn't get the reference. I don't know what major and minor leagues mean.

Not being American or sporty, I don't understand the analogy at all. Are you saying you do a lot better than average in an elementary group but a lot worse than average in an advanced group?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 7:50 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
I don't understand your original post. Because I didn't get the reference. I don't know what major and minor leagues mean.

Not being American or sporty, I don't understand the analogy at all. Are you saying you do a lot better than average in an elementary group but a lot worse than average in an advanced group?

It was basically to show that when it comes to things that are important re real life outcomes I don't do very well. On hindsight It would've been better to use an exhibition/ practice game vs league game analogy. I've used that before. It gets the point across better.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:19 am

^
Ah, I see.

I seem able to do important things, but they stress me out with fear of failure and its consequences, which rather paralyses me in procrastination. Usually I end up getting them done in time, often with a lot of overkill with details that most people would ignore. I'm much happier with tasks that aren't seriously important, and if I could have my way I'd do nothing else. I suspect it may have something to do with important tasks being the things I don't want to do for their own sake, rather like I don't easily understand things I'm not naturally interested in.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:30 am

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs4680(A;A) I am AA. I don't do well under pressure

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 2:02 pm

For some reason the final character in that URL has become detached from the hotlink, so to get it to work, the one who clicks it has to add it back onto the end manually. At least that's what happened here. The missing character is a ")".

Interesting about the genetic reason for stress being one man's meat and another man's poison. Yet in my case I don't feel full of dopamine, just a dull, uneasy feeling that feels like more of a psychological than a physical thing. I don't notice any loss of general mental function when I have something that I pretty much have to do on pain of significantly bad consequences, except that I find it very hard to make a start even though I know I'd be a fool to leave it undone. Though I've long hated stress, and tend to arrange my life to avoid it as far as is practicable. Sometimes I kind of lose patience with myself for being so defense-oriented, and then I take on a significant risk, and when I do I tend to feel surprisingly good about it, as if showing signs of confidence makes me feel confident. But that pattern doesn't come to order.