Page 5 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 10:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
Globalisation has become synonyous with Americanisation...

I hadn't heard this before.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 11:01 am

The Americanization/globalization statement is correct only to a certain extent.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 11:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Americanization/globalization statement is correct only to a certain extent.

To me globalization has actually implied increased participation of what had been considered "Third World" or developing nations in the global economy, the exact opposite of "Americanization" given America's role as the largest economy in the West.

Or there's this:

The Americanization of Emily

In this case I believe "Americanization" implied sexual awakening, ironic given the usual stereotype of Americans being prudish.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 11:18 am

I believe American influences are at work around the world.

I also believe in your statement about the “third world’s influence in global affairs.

So many things are going on all at once.

So many seemingly contradictory things.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 12:02 pm

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

This is true for a country that is somewhat self-isolating, but has money-led propaganda from the United States.
China's new public textbooks were found to have the wrong Chinese flag drawn, as well as two children's dresses that featured prominently American flag elements.
I am in the process of sorting out the relevant information.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 9:12 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Another bizarre and objectionable phenomenon is that in some artworks made by Chinese and aimed at Chinese people, the Chinese people in them fit American stereotypes about Chinese people. The worst cases include small or slender, slanted eyes, which are considered ugly in Chinese culture. .

This is not bizarre or an accident SkinnedWolf. Globalisation also means the internalisation of western European features as most desirable, This started happening from the late 18th century, By 2022 almost every east Asian country more and more young women are signing up for plastic surgery to look more western. In Mexico the parents of young girls are given a present for their 18th birthday of money to have rhinoplasty. Skin whiteners are the scourge of African and south Asian countries where women try desperately to look fair skinned.

I don't need to explain the global appeal of east Asian animation which 90% of children around the world grow up watching, The characters are supposed to depict Asians but look decidedly caucasian. What is beautiful seems to have been decided at a young age. So no shock or surprise if a Chinese artist uses western clothes. design or faces to depict Chinese art.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 9:16 pm

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I agree with Kraftie's point that globalisation is synonymous with Americanisatiob but up to an extent. For example what is desirable to upwardly mobile east asians includes french wines, swiss watches, German cars, Italian fashion and Russian caviar.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 6:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
I don't need to explain the global appeal of east Asian animation which 90% of children around the world grow up watching, The characters are supposed to depict Asians but look decidedly caucasian. What is beautiful seems to have been decided at a young age. So no shock or surprise if a Chinese artist uses western clothes. design or faces to depict Chinese art.

Whether or not it is entirely the result of Western cultural invasion, it is a fact that the current East Asian aesthetic tends to be white. It is not surprising that commodity providers cater to consumers' preferences.

But making the East Asians in the work fit American stereotypes makes the characters look ugly. It's hard to speculate on the motive.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.