Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Organ Geek
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2022, 9:36 am

Forest Green and Personent Hodie (hymn tunes) are the best melodies ever composed even though I am not a believer anymore. And I haaaaate it when people say my interest in those melodies is obsessive. They make me so exasperated. Shame on them. I call them aggritating, which means aggravating AND irritating all rolled up into one.
My message to society in general, not just social media or people I know: Unless you want me to cry like a baby, pleeeeeeeeeease stop calling my narrow interests obsessive!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 9:45 am

Organ Geek wrote:
. . . pleeeeeeeeeease stop calling my narrow interests obsessive!
If you can have a conversation without flooding the conversation with your special interests, then you are probably not obsessive.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:47 am

When I used to have obsessions I hated it when people called the actual people I was obsessed with "my obsession". Like my mum would say "you're not going to keep walking by your obsession's house", instead of just 'their house' or 'his house' or '[name of guy]'s house '.

So glad I don't get obsessed with people any more.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:51 am

As long as it doesn't affect your life in an adverse way, an "obsession" is harmless, and is not pathological.

It's "harmful" if, say, an obsession with Gregorian Chant makes you forget to go to work today.

If one cannot talk about anything else other than their obsession, and don't listen to other speakers while speaking of their obsession, this is often harmful, too.

I remember, as about an eight-year-old, that all I wanted to talk about was my "special interest" at the time. I did not bother to listen to what others were saying. Very quickly, I was ostracized and became the object of scorn and bullying.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 5:50 pm

As long as you're not "obsessed" with beating people up, you're okay in my book! 8)