Pence says he is open to running against Trump

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 2:08 pm

Mike Pence says he could run for president in 2024 even if Trump also runs

Quote:
Former Vice President Mike Pence served notice Monday that he may seek the White House himself in 2024 – regardless of whether Donald Trump himself runs again.

“We’ll go where we’re called,” Pence told The New York Times in an interview published Monday.

The comments surfaced just ahead of Pence's appearance on behalf of Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, whom Trump is attacking in a Tuesday primary in Georgia. Pence's appearance will be the latest breach in the relationship between the two.

The Trump team greeted Pence's endorsement of Kemp and his 2024 talk with a scathing statement saying that the former president rescued the political career of the former Indiana governor.

Trump is backing former Sen. David Perdue in Tuesday's primary race against Kemp. Trump targeted the Georgia governor because Kemp refused to help overturn Trump's loss of Georgia to President Joe Biden in the 2020 presidential election.

Polls give Kemp a huge lead over Perdue, and the incumbent GOP governor could win the Republican nomination on Tuesday without a runoff.

Pence also criticized Trump's favorable attitude toward Russian President Vladimir Putin by saying that the Republican Party has no room in it for "Putin apologists."

Trump is considering another presidential run in 2024, but Pence said that won't influence his own decision one way or the other. Pence told the Times that he and his wife would pray on the matter.

"That’s the way Karen and I have always approached these things," Pence said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 2:29 pm

A Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christian and a Narcissistic p***y-grabbing blowhard is not much of a choice.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 2:32 pm

Pence might be this, or he might be that. And I certainly wouldn't vote for him!

But he certainly believes in the Constitution, and the Rule of Law. He knew what he had to do on January 6th.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 8:30 pm

I will admit that Pence will certainly make a better POTUS than "Pumpkin" Trump. :x

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 12:06 pm

Pence isn't good enough for me because he accepted the vice-Presidency with Trump as his lord and master till quite close to the end. But if I had a vote and thought it would make any appreciable difference, I might back Pence to keep Trump out, but with no confidence in his integrity.

I'm relieved to see that the one who Trump is backing looks set to lose. It suggests that the voters there don't see a Trump endorsement as carrying much weight. It didn't carry much weight with me when he endorsed Boris Johnson. And I was similarly so unimpressed with his attack on the Lord Mayor of London that I didn't add to the stream of threatening racist letters the Mayor got as a result.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 12:24 pm

Pence and the prospect of losing friends were my main reasons for not voting for Trump.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 12:49 pm

Pence might just be the capable version of Trump, the one the moderates and lefties are afraid could really usher in the end of the post-ww2-order

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 9:57 pm

shlaifu wrote:
Pence might just be the capable version of Trump, the one the moderates and lefties are afraid could really usher in the end of the post-ww2-order

Pence's stability doesn't change the fact that he's a hard-line theocrat.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 7:04 am

At least Trump now has competition for the Republican nomination….

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 7:32 am

Fnord wrote:
A Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christian and a Narcissistic p***y-grabbing blowhard is not much of a choice.

Both of those options are awful. It’s hard to say which is worse. I’m glad I’m not a Republican.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 7:46 am

Not much of a choice—but at least Pence had the courage to uphold the Constitution. I wouldn’t vote for him, or for the vast majority of Republicans. But at least he’s challenging Trump.

The key to stabilizing this country is getting rid of Trump and his kind.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 29 May 2022, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 7:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Not much of a choice—but at least Pence had the courage to uphold the Constitution. I wouldn’t vote for him. But at least he’s challenging Trump.

It doesn’t mean that he would uphold it when he’s in office. I wouldn’t trust a fundamentalist with that much power. At least there are checks and balances in
place, though…

There could be various problems for people who are not white males.

I doubt he would stabilize things. He’d probably just polarize them further.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 7:55 am

He would probably be bothersome in his fundamentalism, and set this country back a few decades.

But I don’t believe he would do the things that Trump sought to do as far as establishing a dictatorship is concerned.

I don’t believe he would win, anyway.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 8:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

But I don’t believe he would do the things that Trump sought to do as far as establishing a dictatorship is concerned.

Why not?

He could easily fantasize about creating a Christian state.

I wouldnt trust him.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 8:06 am

I don’t think he’d be elected.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 8:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t think he’d be elected.

I doubt he will be, either. I was speaking theoretically.