Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 6:59 pm

Quote:
US will intervene if China attacks Taiwan, says Biden - BBC News
May 23, 2022

US President Joe Biden has warned China is "flirting with danger" over Taiwan, and vowed to intervene militarily to protect the island if it is attacked.

Speaking in Japan, he appeared to contradict long-standing US policy in the region, although the White House insisted there had been no departure.

Biden drew a parallel between Taiwan and Russia's invasion of Ukraine, prompting an angry rebuke from Beijing.

China regards Taiwan as a breakaway province that must be re-unified with the mainland.

It seems Biden has learnt from the Ukraine Experience. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 7:50 pm

Quote:
'Don't underestimate...': China lashes Biden over Taiwan military action warning
May 23, 2022

China hits back after U.S President Joe Biden's 'flirting with danger' warning over Taiwan. In a strong response, the Beijing asked Unites States to not 'underestimate China's Taiwan resolve.' Calling it an internal matter, China said that Taiwan is an an inalienable part of the country and they are ready to defend it. The statements were made hours after Biden vowed of military intervention to defend Taiwan from China. Remember, Chinese President Xi Jinping wants to reunify Taiwan with China. Details of tussle over Taiwan in this report

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:19 pm

Given the USA's efforts around defending Ukraine, should Taiwan view this statement as being supportive or potentially harmful to their nation?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:32 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Given the USA's efforts around defending Ukraine, should Taiwan view this statement as being supportive or potentially harmful to their nation?

Biden giving pootin the OK to make a "limited incursion" into Ukraine was a monumental blunder, costing so many lives.
I think the Biden Administration had no option but to support Taiwan to add the element of uncertainty to the situation.

I just hope Australia doesn't get sucked into this.
Now we have the Labor party in government, The CCP is making strong diplomatic advances to Australia.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 10:43 pm

Brictoria wrote:

I've seen quite interesting polls on Taiwanese.
But that started before Biden's statement.

One Taiwanese interviewed compared Taiwan to another Afghanistan.
Another interviewee made it clear that he was looking forward to intervention. Although he said he would start singing the Chinese national anthem if intervention did not come.

When I'm done with the work at hand, I'll sort out the relevant investigations.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 11:52 pm

The US will intervene with sanctions. If the US intervenes militarily a far more devastating war than the one taking place in Ukraine will ensue. Wiley scoundrel Trump might have been able to wrangle some sort of deal with both Putin and Xi Jinping. Whereas Biden doesn't stand a chance.

I don't think it's any coincidence that both Putin and Xi Jinping waited until Biden was in office.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 12:06 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The US will intervene with sanctions. If the US intervenes militarily a far more devastating war than the one taking place in Ukraine will ensue. Wiley scoundrel Trump might have been able to wrangle some sort of deal with both Putin and Xi Jinping. Whereas Biden doesn't stand a chance.

I don't think it's any coincidence that both Putin and Xi Jinping waited until Biden was in office.

The CCP has been threatening to invade Taiwan for some time now and hasn't done it yet, so your statement is invalid, sorry. 8)

But yes, I think it safe to say that Biden invited pootin into Ukraine. 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 1:48 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:

I hear Dennis Rodman is being thawed and prepped for a visit to Xi

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:27 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:

Tip: According to the opinions of mainstream Chinese debate platforms.
There were more Chinese who liked Trump (until COVID) than Biden.

I have dealt with quite a few Trump apologists before. But as of now, I have not met a Biden apologist.
(although the former is now generally considered unhinged)

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Rodman is friends with Kim Jong Un.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 4:30 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Rodman is friends with Kim Jong Un.

Which is why he's being primed for Xi next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 4:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Not Eric Swalwell?

I believe he's reported to have had experience in dealing with a representatitve of the Chinese government in the past, after all.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 5:59 am

In 2019, Swalwell criticized Trump's trade war against China.[

In December 2020, Swalwell was named in a press report about suspected Chinese spy Fang Fang or Christine Fang, who had since at least 2012 been cultivating contacts with California politicians who the Chinese government believed had promising futures in politics.Axios reported that Fang participated in fundraising for Swalwell's 2014 congressional election bid, met Swalwell at events, and helped place an intern inside his congressional office. Swalwell ended ties with Fang in 2015 after U.S. intelligence briefed him and top members of Congress on concerns that Chinese agents were attempting to infiltrate Congress. Officials believed Fang did not obtain classified information from her contacts, and Swalwell was not accused of any impropriety.

Perhaps Mr Trump have a vendetta against Mr Swalwell to go after him in his last days as POTUS? purely speculation.
But he does seem amenable to China than some other American politicians.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 12:08 am

Quote:
Washington: President Joe Biden has declared that the US would intervene militarily if China attacked Taiwan, only to have the White House walk back his remarks. Which begs the question: was this yet another presidential gaffe or a shift in policy?

During a visit to Japan with Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, Biden indicated that he would be prepared to use force to defend the island nation against China - a move that would go considerably further than America’s involvement in Ukraine and appeared to deviate from the traditional strategy used in Washington: to remain ambiguous about such a sensitive issue.

[...]

Clarity and consistency, however, aren’t always the strengths of this administration.

Remember Biden’s historic speech in Poland in March, when he declared, unscripted, that Russian President Vladimir Putin “cannot remain in power”?

A White House official walked back his comments immediately, telling reporters: “The president’s point was that Putin cannot be allowed to exercise power over his neighbours or the region. He was not discussing Putin’s power in Russia or regime change.”

A similar mop-up took place today, with the White House immediately insisting the US official position had not changed - a statement that was later repeated by the Pentagon chief Lloyd Austin.

“As the President said, our policy has not changed. He reiterated our One China policy and our commitment to peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait. He also reiterated our commitment under the Taiwan Relations Act to provide Taiwan with the military means to defend itself,” the statement said.

But the latest comments come even after the president made similarly confusing remarks about defending Taiwan from China in August and October, which also had to be “clarified” - and in the context of the lessons learnt by Ukraine, which has now spent three months fighting a bloody war against Russia’s incursion.

So, who is telling the truth about the “official” US position - the President or his advisers?

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/strategic-confusion-biden-s-fifth-taiwan-gaffe-baits-beijing-rattles-white-house-20220524-p5anwz.html

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 12:54 am

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:
Washington: President Joe Biden has declared that the US would intervene militarily if China attacked Taiwan, only to have the White House walk back his remarks. Which begs the question: was this yet another presidential gaffe or a shift in policy?

I have heard that he may have been voicing an actual change in direction from simply being noncommital to being hawkish, behind the scenes.

All speculation, of course, but it should make the CCP think even harder before any actions are taken.